X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stantheman
    • Feb 2004

RSX-1056 - worth it?

I am currently running B&W 600 Series 2 speakers (603s/LCR6/601s) wiah an older Denon AVR-2700 receiver. I do about 70% movies and 30% music, but sonic accuracy and quality are my "holy grail". IMO, the Denon sounds pretty good, but the search for the audio "holy grail" is never ending (as we all well know!). I am looking to upgrade my receiver, and have narrowed my choice down to the Rotel RSX-1056, basde on budget/reviews/reading forum discussions. However, the investment is not insignificant.

I'd like to get feed back from others who have made similar upgrades (to the RSX-1055 or 1056). Was the sonic improvement on movies and music worth it? What specific improvements were most notable?
  • gostan
    • May 2003

Stan

I used to run a system very similar to yours. Denon 2800, B&W 602's, 601's, LCR6 & ASW 2000. I listen 50-50 to movies and music, including multi-channel sacd-dvd-a.

First, I upgraded the Denon Receiver to a Rotel rsx-1055. The sonic differences were beyond dramatic. The Rotel sounds so much clearer and fuller-bodied than the Denon. You do have to get used to a different audio-video switching design when you go from Denon to Rotel. If you want to hear the difference or are questioning the investment, you could ask your dealer for a loaner Rotel receiver over a weekend. It is worth the bother of taking your system apart and putting it back together.

Second, I upgraded my 600 series speakers to the closeout CDM series, which I still think sound better than the newer 700 series, especially in the midrange, and definitely for the price.

Third, I upgraded the Rotel rsx-1055 to a 1098-1075 combination.

Overall, I would advise youu that I have listened to Denon receivers for years, and I was surprised at how Rotel's design philosophy (I think that the Rotel power supply design) helps to make the Rotel's sound so much better than the Denon.

Good luck. I hope my thoughts help and let me know I can answer any specific questions about the denon-rotel comparison.

Stan
    Stan

Comment

• palmetto
      • Nov 2003

RSX-1055 discounts? features compared to RSX-156?

i am on the threshold of buying a total new AV system, and am leaning away from getting the soon to be released DENON 3805 (with phono innput) and getting a ROTEL -- either the RSX-1055 or RSX-1056? i do not need 7.1 now but do require a phono equalizer if i get a ROTEL.

the feature differences between the two ROTEL models are not clear to me. is the 1056 simply replacing the 1055 because of better sound quality? it is a little smaller and lighter than the 1056.

what about getting a clearance price from a dealer on the 1055? that would make the jump from a DENON at under $1000 easier. any suggestions?

thanks.

Comment

• palmetto
        • Nov 2003

<

<is the 1056 simply replacing the 1055 because of better sound quality? it is a little smaller and lighter than the 1056.ooops. correction: the 1056 is smaller and lighter than the 1055.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I've owned several Denon receivers (2800 and 3300) and while they were decent they aren't nearly as clean sounding as the Rotels. What Denon does do well is jamming their products full of features...some of which are useful most of which aren't.

The 1056 is an updated version of the 1055 and now sports PLIIx (or soon will), video upconversion, a newer processor, updated DAC's and better bass management...in other words its more like a 1098 without the TFT screen. The issue at hand though is that you can now buy a 1055 from a dealer under $900 new vs the much higher price for the 1056. If you can afford the 1056 I'd go for it but that's not to say the 1055 isn't a great unit as well.

Comment

• Ryker
            • Jan 2002

Geez Andrew I wish I had your dealer for the price on a new 1055. My dealer wants $1000 for a demo and most used units on Audiogon are still going for $900 plus.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Yeah you're right I should probably say demo not new...

Comment

• stantheman
                • Feb 2004

Re the weight and size of new rsx-1056 vs previous 1055, I have found conflicting info at different sites on web. Most agree both old and new are about 17"w and 6.25"high, some say the old was 17" deep while others say both are 15.75" " deep. Weights for old are listed at either 37.4 lbs or 45 lbs, weight for new seems to be 37.4 lbs.

Personally, I think some of the old info seems wrong, and I am guessing both the 1055 and 1056 are the same size and weight. It doesn't sem like Rotel would cheapen their products in updating units.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"