X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tornini
    • Feb 2003

RSP-1066 and 192khz

I recently puchased the Philips 963SA SACD/DVD player and connected it to my RSP-1066 with optical cable.
    Everything worked perfectly until I tried playing a regular CD upsampled to 192khz.
    It works fine in 2 Channel mode, but I only hear hisses in any of the surround modes.

My current firmware is 1.48, and I was wondering if upgrading would help.

Thanks.
  • TonyPTX
    • Apr 2003

Due to the idiocy of the RIAA, if you intend to use the surround sound feature of your SACD player, you MUST use the analog outputs and connect them to the analog inputs of your AVR.

Apparently the RIAA thinks that digital formats of these SACD and DVD-A would be pirated as well online, therefore, they just removed the digital capabilities till they could find some sort of bureaucratic, proprietary, encrypted digital format to implement in the future.

"Those that don't know, don't know they don't know."
    "Those that don't know, don't know they don't know."

Comment

• eelco74
      • Dec 2002

The Philips 963SA can upsample Redbook CD's to 192Khz. Output will be on both analogue and digital out.

I suspect that the best way to listen to CD, is via the analogue, since the internal DAC will do the upsampeling as well as D/A conversion

However you can use the digital out, and let the rotel do the conversion.
      Officially the best rotel can do is 24bit/96Khz. However someone else in this formum also has a 963SA and reported that his 1066 could handle 24/192 as well. But only in stereo, no DSP processing.

Whith SACD, the previous poster is correct, this can only be done via analogue connections. No digital connection possible. But that does not matter, since I suspect analogue is also the best way to listen stereo.

So for SACD en Redbook CD use analgue
      For DVD DTS/DD use the digital connection.
      Good luck....

Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
      Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
      Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• Tornini
        • Feb 2003

Thanks for the replies, I was just surprised that the 1066 would handle the 24/192 in stereo, but not be able to apply any DSP.

I have setup my 963SA to upsample redbook CDs to 24/96 and everything seems to work fine.

Does anyone know if this will be fixed by a future firmware upgrade ?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

All I know is is Rotel's trying to duplicate what you're seeing so yes there likely will be some "fix" if its required in the future

Comment

• 3DCadman
            • Apr 2003

I was the "other member" with the 963SA.

When I have my main speakers set to small, and try to run at 192, all I get is a kind of stuttering and clicking along with the music that sounds like it could damage something (I'm not sure, though) so I avoid it if I can. I like to run my mains (B&W N804's) to small, so my sub can handle the bass.

You have reached the same conclusion I have. I upsample to 96, then I have no problems digitally. Obviously, if all you use is analog then no problemo.

But, if you mistakenly leave it at 192, and set the 1066 to digital input and have any processing at all, then watch out! You'll be reaching for the remote fast!

Actually, lately I prefer the Rotel's internal DAC @96 over the Philips analog output (@96 also). I can't put my finger on why yet, it just sounds better, a little more dynamic.

Another thing to think about: If you have any HDCD discs (you may not even know it!), they MUST be played back thru a digital link, WITHOUT ANY UPSAMPLING AT ALL. Set the player to no upsampling. That is the only way for the 1066 to properly decode the HDCD data from the 963. I can attest that with HDCD engaged Spock's Beard's Snow (a sensational disc by the way) sounds much better than even 96k upsampled.

Andrew,

What is Rotel trying to do? All they need is a 963SA, set to upsample to 192, hooked up digitally to the 1066. It's really pretty simple to reproduce, like my fellow 963 owner found out.

Just wondering.

Happpy listening!

Andy
            Andy

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

What is Rotel trying to do? All they need is a 963SA, set to upsample to 192, hooked up digitally to the 1066. It's really pretty simple to reproduce, like my fellow 963 owner found out.

Just wondering.
              Last I heard (and its been awhile) they were trying to find a 963SA for the tech's to test

Comment

• Tornini
                • Feb 2003

Andrew,
                Has Rotel been able to test the 1066 with the 963SA ?

Thanks.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

I'm not sure...

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"