X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wettou
    Ultra Senior Member
    • May 2006

Wolfson new 24-bit 192kHz DAC

Wolfson Microelectronics announces an addition to its portfolio of high performance DACs. The WM8742 is targeted at professional audio applications and addresses the increasing demands of high-end home audio applications such as A/V receivers, CD, DVD, SACD and home theatre systems. The new 24-bit 192kHz DAC device combines an exceptional signal to noise ratio of 123dB (stereo) with Wolfson's low out-of-band noise, world-class linearity and a unique combination of programmable advanced digital filters. This suite of filters overcomes the limitations and listening issues found in existing high-end audio systems such as pre-ringing and latency, which can distort the playback giving some systems a cold and artificial feel. WM8742 shapes the audio to the ideal listening conditions recreating the optimal natural analogue sound.

"The response from the professional audio industry to our new digital filter technology has been outstanding. There is a clear demand for this calibre of audio performance in a wide range of high-end audio applications," commented John Crawford, high performance audio manager at Wolfson. "The WM8742 brings Wolfson's authentic, natural sounding high performance audio to a larger market".

The WM8742 can be configured to meet the performance requirements of demanding audio applications by tailoring the audio filtering to the required listening experience. The in-built advanced digital filter options, unique to Wolfson's high performance DAC portfolio, provides a high degree of control over the many parameters which affect the audio output and gives users the choice of different characteristics including group delay, phase and latency, impulse response and transition band roll off. This flexibility significantly reduces pre-ringing and gives maximum insensitivity to clock jitter. By removing the need for external digital filters the WM8742 also reduces external component count and therefore cost.

Utilising Wolfson's unique low order modulator and multi-bit DAC architecture the WM8742 achieves low out-of-band noise and world-class linearity for outstanding sound quality. The WM8742 is a complete differential stereo audio DAC system with a range of audio interface options. The system includes a dithered digital interpolation filter, fine resolution volume control and digital enabled de-emphasis, as well as a multi-bit sigma delta modulator and switched capacitor multi-bit stage with differential voltage outputs. The WM8742 is also pin-compatible with the WM8740 and WM8741.

Maybe Classé will incorporate this in the upgraded SSP-800?
    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower
  • Srrndhound
    • Sep 2008

Highly unlikely. The analog sections are not being upgraded, just the DSP.

Comment

• Dmantis
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jun 2004

Pioneer ELite uses Wolfson Dac's . The new models are noticeably better sounding then last years Burr Brown models. There is also ICE amps so that might have something to do with the higher end models. They also have higher end Wolfson DAC's.

Comment

• Oddiophile
        • Jul 2008

32-bit DAC

Might as well really go for it. The Esoteric D-05 uses AKM Semiconductor AK3497 32-bit DACs. According to a couple of reviews that I have read, these are supposed to be real killers.

I would love to see these in the Classe SSP-800 but I am certainly not holding my breath.

J.R.

Comment

• sikoniko
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2003

whats wrong with the DACs in the SSP-800? I'm not unhappy with them.
          I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• alebonau
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by wettou
            Wolfson Microelectronics announces an addition to its ~

Maybe Classé will incorporate this in the upgraded SSP-800?
            why not if it improves things and if they have the opportunity :W

Originally posted by Oddiophile
            Might as well really go for it. The Esoteric D-05 uses AKM Semiconductor AK3497 32-bit DACs. According to a couple of reviews that I have read, these are supposed to be real killers.

I would love to see these in the Classe SSP-800 but I am certainly not holding my breath.

J.R.
            the new flagship denon a1-ud universal I believe also uses AKM 32 bit dacs :T
            "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• Srrndhound
              • Sep 2008

Y'all must be talking about the SSP-900. The 800 is shipping.

Comment

• style
                Super Senior Member
                • Feb 2006

Hi,

Sorry alebonau, but all the good name from Denon is sure with the bluray player 3800 total down go....

I have this player and a "old" 3930 at home: same "gears" but the 3800 dont' can the Sacd... :evil:
                If the preampli if made like the player I'm really scary. I don't will say Classe is the best in World but sorry the Denon with the player 3800 have really a BIG flop in market....

I have the Pioneer LX91 too: another planet....the Denon is like my fist luray player: a Sony S300.

...and now with the new coming a1-ud with what do you will inside No thanks... the idea is good, the project is good..the product too BUT Denon have a the trget missing on the road....

Style

Comment

• wettou
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • May 2006

Originally posted by sikoniko
                  whats wrong with the DACs in the SSP-800? I'm not unhappy with them.
                  Nothing is wrong just trying to improve.

Of course as I said before

For best sound quality:

1. Best recording on SACD, CD or Blu Ray music
                  2. Best Speakers one can afford (70% gear budget)
                  3. Room, (size and dimension and treated properly)

If those three are met the rest just need to be of quality without having to break the bank

4. Amplifers
                  5. Pre-Pro
                  6. Source, CD players
                  7. Cables are a commodity not a neckless:rofl:
                  Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• sikoniko
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Aug 2003

Nothing is wrong just trying to improve.

Of course as I said before

For best sound quality:

1. Best recording on SACD, CD or Blu Ray music
                    2. Best Speakers one can afford (70% gear budget)
                    3. Room, (size and dimension and treated properly)

If those three are met the rest just need to be of quality without having to break the bank

4. Amplifers
                    5. Pre-Pro
                    6. Source, CD players
                    7. Cables are a commodity not a neckless:rofl:
                    Wolfson DACs and Burr-Brown DACs are a personal taste. There is nothing wrong with either. I tend to prefer Burr-Brown DACs.

There is always going to be something newer. If that is what interests you more than what is in the box today, perhaps you would be better off buying a brand that refreshes the model annually. Perhaps a Denon would better suit your wants, for example. :W As Classe does not do that. You're trying to make a round peg fit in a square hole. I think you want the Classe to be something it is not.
                    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Oddiophile
                      • Jul 2008

I know that my post about the AKM was wishful thinking on my part--perhaps Wettou even feels the same way about the new Wolfson DACs (He will have to speak for himself and I'm sure he will LOL). I don't really expect something like either the AKM or the Wolfson to be implemented in this iteration of the SSP-800. Regardless, I think this has been a fun thread. I suspect people at Classe read these things and so "ya never know", especially for "down the road".

Thank you Wettou for sharing the knowledge. It is good to know what is out there.

Sikonko: From my experience with Classe, Classe's reputation and the comments of others, I am sure that the DACs in the SSP-800 are pretty darn good, to say the least.

My 2 cents worth or whatever it works out to in these economic times.

Jim

Comment

• wettou
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • May 2006

Originally posted by sikoniko
                        Wolfson DACs and Burr-Brown DACs are a personal taste. There is nothing wrong with either. I tend to prefer Burr-Brown DACs.

There is always going to be something newer. If that is what interests you more than what is in the box today, perhaps you would be better off buying a brand that refreshes the model annually. Perhaps a Denon would better suit your wants, for example. :W As Classe does not do that. You're trying to make a round peg fit in a square hole. I think you want the Classe to be something it is not.
                        Not really I just like to be at the leading edge of science:B

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2006

Not really I just like to be at the leading edge of science:B
                          Too late. I am now auditioning a converter with a 32/192 DAC chip! :T

Kal
                          Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Srrndhound
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                            Too late. I am now auditioning a converter with a 32/192 DAC chip! :T

Kal
                            AKM, who makes a 32/192 chip, isn't claiming it sounds better than 24-bit chips, and it has the same noise floor and higher passband ripple as the Burr Brown in the SSP-800.

And if we're interested in applying scientific criteria, significant homework wrt objective and subjective performance, with actual Classe analog support circuitry, ought to be taken into account before any DAC ranking is assigned. No small undertaking, and certainly not something we armchair engineers can accomplish. We have to trust Classe to carry their torch.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2006

Agreed about the spec issue. OTOH, the DAC I am referring to is from ESS so, specs aside, it is a different animal. Of course, one cannot, therefore, make any head-to-head comparisons.

BTW, I was responding to Wettou's flip statement.
                              Kal Rubinson

Comment

• wettou
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • May 2006

Agreed about the spec issue. OTOH, the DAC I am referring to is from ESS so, specs aside, it is a different animal. Of course, one cannot, therefore, make any head-to-head comparisons. BTW, I was responding to Wettou's flip statement.
                                ESS? who are they 8O

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Mar 2006

ESS? who are they 8O

Kal
                                  Kal Rubinson

Comment

• wettou
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • May 2006

Cool any manufacturer yet using this, I want one ;x(

Comment

• focker
                                      • Oct 2008

Cool any manufacturer yet using this, I want one ;x(
                                      My understanding is that McIntosh makes use of the ESS ES9008 in the MCD500.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by focker
                                        My understanding is that McIntosh makes use of the ESS ES9008 in the MCD500.
                                        Yup. Linn, too.

Wes Philips wrote up something about the DAC but here's another note about the company:

Chip manufacturer ESS Technology is no stranger to audiophiles interested in new formats.

Kal
                                        Kal Rubinson

Comment

• wettou
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • May 2006

Yup. Linn, too. Wes Philips wrote up something about the DAC but here's another note about the company, Kal
                                          In the Akurate CD?

Comment

• Adi_V
                                            • Mar 2009

I know its a classe thread.. but!

Im after the bestest cd/dvd unit I can get on a budget.
                                            I want the classe sound, without the classe price tag.
                                            I've been looking at the hhb UDP-89, link:

It goes on to state that It has wolfson dac's and it claims to be 'audiophile' worthy.
                                            would anyone know which dac's are being used?
                                            WM8742?
                                            would there be no-no's in regards to buying 'pro' gear?

Comment

• Srrndhound
                                              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Adi_V
                                              would there be no-no's in regards to buying 'pro' gear?
                                              Just be aware the balanced outputs are +4 dBu, not the same level most consumer gear uses, which is lower. Plus the DP-25 (?) connector is probably not easy to use. But is also has normal -10 dBu phono outputs, which are perfect for consumer use.

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"