X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rick c
    • Aug 2004

What should i set the crossover to?

My speaker specs are 45hz-30khz.What should i set the crossover on the receiver(rsx1056)to.I really don't understand these type of specs(what do they mean).Would appreciate a short explanation in plain english if possible.thanks
  • rich0372
    • Jul 2004

It depends do you have a sub? or just 2 channel If you have a sub I would set speakers to small and crossover at 50 or 60hrz and let the sub pick up the rest if no sub set them to large. the crossover in the speaker will take care of it Rich

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

The general rule is about double the F3 point of your speakers...which in your case would be around 80-90 hz. Remember that crossovers are not solid walls so freq's below the crossover point will still pass though...just more and more attunuated as the freq drops...so by doubling the F3 point (point at which SPL's drop 3 dB from flat) you're giving yourself some room to ensure the speaker can still play the lowest notes being given to it. If you'd set it much lower you'd end up sending fairly loud sub 45 hz tones to your speakers which would mean you'd likely have a dip in over all response...of course this is all on paper...in the real world its worth playing with the XO point a bit to find out what works for you...but 9 times out of 10 80 hz is the sweet spot for theater applications.

Comment

• ekkoville
        • Aug 2004

Andrew, I have an REL sub which the company reccomends using the high-level input connected to the left and right channels on the amp and setting the speakers to large in order for the sub crossover to filter the signal. For this reason they suggest setting the front speakers to large, to get the full range signal. They also reccomend the LFE output on the pre/pro for theater apps. I have my RSP-1068 set to small for all channels. I wonder if during 2 channel audio if the sub does not get the proper signal if it is only connected to the LFE. Can the 1068 send the signal via LFE when in 2 channel stereo? Forgive me if this is slightly off from just Rotel talk.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Ah Ok you had to be the only exception to the rule Actually not really you will still set your XO point based on the specs of the speaker only now you'll set it on the REL not the 1068. For you I'd set all speakers except the fronts to small. Set the fronts to large and subwoofer to off that way all bass will be redirected to the front speakers. Run a high level signal to the REL and then onto your mains and set the XO point to about 80 hz. When you do this all the sub 80 hz material will be routed to the REL while the rest of the speakers incl the mains will end up getting the rest. I wouldn't change anything for music or HT with the REL as it should work dandy in the above configuration

Comment

• ekkoville
            • Aug 2004

Just so I have explained myself, the sub is connected to the main amp terminals as well as the main speakers. There are no speaker connections on the sub, just high level and RCA. Should the sub be off, what signal will be sent to the LFE output during HT?

E

Comment

• rick c
              • Aug 2004

When i was told by def.tech regarding my spkr connections they also told me sub -yes or on,not off.could this be just for this particular speaker sytem.I mean they are the mfg. shouldn't they know the proper way to connect.They advised that my main spkers should be connected via spkr level and subout simultaneously.You get the best of both worlds.They indicated that the mains should be set to large the rest to small and sub yes.Crossover on sub set to approx 80.The speakers are def.tech. procinema 100's.

Comment

• ekkoville
                • Aug 2004

Yes, that is how REL manual states it. Get the full range signal sent to the sub for 2 channel, and for HT purposes, the LFE would augment the movie soundtracks.

Erik

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

If you have the REL attached to the speaker cables then you need to tell your processor that you don't have a subwoofer attached to the LFE output otherwise it is going to try to route all the low bass (anything below the crossover point of any speaker) to that output. In your case with the REL simply attach the speaker cables from the Rotel's front left and right outputs to the corresponding input on the subwoofer and then from the sub's speaker outputs to the front left and right speaker. From there its an easy step to adjust the crossover point on the subwoofer to suit our speakers. If you set the Sub setting to Yes you'll loose bass information.

The Def Tech speakers are a little different in that you don't generally use the speaker cables to use their built in subs but the LFE output on the processor..in which case you're right you do need to set the subout put to Yes.

Comment

• rick c
                    • Aug 2004

actually my def.techs are not powered.but they are conncted the way def.tech advised.subout and spkr level and fronts to large.Do you think this is wrong?

Comment

• Azeke
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2003

I have been experimenting for awhile on which Xovers, setting speakers Large or small, etc. After all this experimentation I have concluded the following:

All speakers set to small (unless your fronts are powered).

Sub Xover set to 80/100 for the sub, that varies for me, and I utilize the LFE, minimizing complexity.

Some critical settings:

1) Set your delays correctly (makes a significant difference), as measured from the optimal sitting position.

2) Speaker coinfiguration utilizing a SPL analog meter (a la Radio Shack), and test tones via the 1068 menu.

3) Sub configuration and placement, which is probably the toughest of all.

The final decision is yours, expermentation is the key, there are many variables to consider, room size, acoustics, etc., the smallest tweak can make a significant difference. Let you own ears be the judge, manuals only provide a baseline. Your mileage of course may vary .

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"