X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • augerpro
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2006

BBV2: a small format sub/sat system

FINALLY got my BoseBuster sequel done and written up!! I've shortened the name to BBV2 so I don't get any hassle from Bose. Next I'll be finishing the Scan Disco TM and MTM, the other flavors after. My Soma Sonus site is now hosting my projects. Here is copy of that page:

BBV2

A small format sub/satellite system

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG0215.webp Views:	0 Size:	26.3 KB ID:	937833

The goal for this project was a small, high quality speaker that was shallow enough to be mounted on wall next to the thin LCD TV’s that are now common. The Fountek FR88EX was perfect for this project, with its low distortion and ability to fit in a truly tiny box (you can get the cones really dancing with little change in character). After several tweeters, I finally settled on the SB Acoustics SB26STCN-C000-4. This tweeter not only measures well, but is subjectively a very clear and open sounding tweeter. Crossover point is 2.8khz @ LR4. Here is the on-axis frequency response:

Click image for larger version  Name:	frequencyresponse.webp Views:	0 Size:	76.0 KB ID:	937840

With reverse polarity to check phase integration:

Click image for larger version  Name:	frequencyresponse_reversepolarity.webp Views:	0 Size:	75.4 KB ID:	937841

The frequency response measurements consist of a far field measurement with a 6.5ms gate (no smoothing!!), merged to a near field measurement at 300hz, resulting in a quasi-anechoic response. The low frequency ripple is the noise floor of my shop.

Impedance:

Click image for larger version  Name:	impedance.webp Views:	0 Size:	73.8 KB ID:	937842

Here is the crossover schematic:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	passive%20XO.png Views:	0 Size:	29.7 KB ID:	937843

Inductors are 18g on the woofer and 20g on the tweeter. The small resistance value shown with each inductor is the resistance of the inductor itself, not a separate resistor.

Baffle layout:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Baffle.png Views:	0 Size:	8.1 KB ID:	937844

I built them with a depth of 3 ½” (external dimension) for that low profile mounting. However, if I were to put these on stands, or even wall mount next to something other than a super thin TV, I would probably go with a 4 ½” depth at least. Not for the bass (these are sealed), but having the rear baffle too close to the woofer can interfere with the sound quality, and if possible it would be better to get some breathing space for the woofers. Speaking of breathing space, the backside of the front baffle must be chamfered slightly (I used a Dremel):

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN0277.webp Views:	0 Size:	41.2 KB ID:	937845

I prefer to line the inside of the box with the denim insulation from Home Depot if possible, or the .75lb/cf sheets from Meniscus Audio. Obviously with a speaker this small I went with an external crossover, with all three front channels in a small box with connections on the outside for speaker wire. Home Depot or Lowes has some nice 16g in-wall 4 conductor wire that is perfect for connecting the crossover box to the speakers. I used Techflex over the wire for a clean look.

There are many very good woofers to use for the subs. In my case I had bought some nice 100w plate amps with boost at 30hz when a speaker manufacturer was getting rid of old stock (the Dayton Audio SA100 would probably be another good candidate), so I wanted to use a reasonably efficient woofer since I didn’t have a huge amount of power, and one that would be the best combination of small box size and extension. Since these would cross around 175-250hz I didn’t really want something with a terrible cone breakup either that could show up as non-linear distortion in the passband. The Silverflute W20RC38-08 was a perfect match for my requirements. Using dual Dayton Audio 8” passive radiators enabled a truly tiny box of only 12”x12”x12 ¾”! Using eleven 3/8” washers on each passive radiator (for an effective 30hz box tuning) and the included 6db boost @ 35hz of the plate amp, enabled really good extension considering the size of the woofer and box.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG0309.webp Views:	0 Size:	25.0 KB ID:	937846

The following is how I initially integrated the sub and satellites. This is intended to be a quick way to get the system up and running. Obviously there is always a lot more one can do to get the smoothest bass and mid-bass response, and this is only one simple method.

First, I use two subs, one roughly at the foot of each main channel. In this case I tried REW as the measurement software since it’s free and easy to use. I use a mic from Cross Spectrum Labs. I didn’t bother with all the calibration of the measurement setup since we just want to see real-time in-room response for integration. Given that, it is pretty straightforward to setup: just open the RTA window, change the scale to go up to 2khz, 1/6 octave smoothing, select FFT Length 32768, Blackman-Harris 7 window, 8 averages, and that’s it. You might have to open the preferences and set the soundcard output if you get no sound, or the input if the mic doesn’t read anything. I aimed for a 175hz crossover, I’d like to experiment with 200-250hz in the future.

1) First set the levels of each channel (without subs on), I use a Radio Shack meter on A weighted Fast

2) in the AVR set the sub to “LFE+main” (this is on a Marantz, other brands should be similar)

3) set the sub crossover to 250hz

4) set the mains to small and crossover of 80hz

5) starting with just the left channel outputting pink noise (sub off), adjust the crossover until your -6dB point is at roughly 175hz:

Click image for larger version  Name:	R_main.png Views:	0 Size:	39.2 KB ID:	937847

My bass doesn’t appear to drop off quick, but that is due to the noise floor of my apartment being fairly high. Raising the signal will correct this, but I didn’t want to get my neighbors bent out shape!

6) Now running only the left sub, adjust its level to match the main. I like a little boost in my home theater bass though

7) Adjust the sub crossover until its -6dB is also 175hz:

Click image for larger version  Name:	R_sub.png Views:	0 Size:	36.6 KB ID:	937848

8) Now turn on both the main and sub, and check integration:

Click image for larger version  Name:	R_summed.png Views:	0 Size:	34.3 KB ID:	937849

9) Looks good so I moved on to the right channel

I was lucky and integration was very good right away. All I really have left is to fine tune the sub response. I’ll probably have to move it, requiring me to go through the integration again. Anyone who measures their setup knows how badly the front wall (often in combination with the floor and side wall) can really mess up the response in the 100-500hz area. One of the nice things about a sub/sat system crossed around 200hz is that you now have drivers with different crossover slopes, and in two different positions in the room, to smooth out the response. At this point I would switch to 1/12 or 1/24 octave smoothing to make sure I wasn’t smoothing over the ugly parts.

If one did not have good integration yet, you can adjust the phase on the sub, or adjust the delay setting in the AVR, or move the sub around, to get the proper phase match. Sometimes I find the response improvement to be ambiguous as I change settings. When that happens I like to run the main in reverse polarity, switch to 1/24 octave smoothing, and adjust delay/phase and sub placement to get the deepest null at the crossover. When you find it, you then switch the polarity back to normal and you should have excellent phase integration.
    Last edited by theSven; 28 May 2023, 11:50 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
    ~Brandon 8O
    Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
    Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
    DriverVault
    Soma Sonus
  • kevinm
    • Jun 2013

Looks like pretty solid work! Great option for those wanting tiny profile and cost effective performance.

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

Those look great. I don't think the photos do justice for the size or craftsmanship.
      So, what did the final price tag come to?
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• augerpro
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2006

Ryan I'm not sure on price - it's been several years of "development". I'll price it out when I get a chance.
        ~Brandon 8O
        DriverVault
        Soma Sonus

Comment

• Warrant
          • Dec 2010

Very nice! Exactly what swmbo would settle for in the living room.

Would you care to hazard a guess as to compatibility for a discrete 5.2 in wall set up?

Comment

• augerpro
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2006

The crossover really wasn't designed for in-wall use. I could probably model one with no baffle step correction, but I'm really not comfortable publishing something I've never heard.
            ~Brandon 8O
            DriverVault
            Soma Sonus

Comment

• DeathMonk
              • Jun 2008

Never thought I would see these

How do they compare to the BBV1s?

Comment

• augerpro
                Super Senior Member
                • Aug 2006

Well I haven't had the original Bose Busters for years, so can't really make any direct comparisons, even from memory. Bottom line though is the FR88EX motor is very well behaved, and the SB26STCN is just an excellent tweeter. I'd imagine if I could compare side by side, the differences would not be small.
                ~Brandon 8O
                DriverVault
                Soma Sonus

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  Mad Max Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

Looks like some great results, Brandon! :T The little SB Acoustics tweeter should work great the way you're using it crossed relatively high- it only gets a little unhappy if you push it loud and low
                  the AudioWorx
                  Natalie P
                  M8ta
                  Modula Neo DCC
                  Modula MT XE
                  Modula Xtreme
                  Isiris
                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                  Minerva Monitor
                  Calliope
                  Ardent D

In Development...
                  Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                  Obi-Wan
                  Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                  Modula PWB
                  Calliope CC Supreme
                  Natalie P Ultra
                  Natalie P Supreme
                  Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                  Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"