X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spectre
    • Sep 2004

RSP-1066 and noise from LS

Hi all,

I am a new owner of the Rotel RSP-1066 and the RMB-1075 combi.

All in all I am very pleased with this combi as it is a significant improvement over my old Yamaha AZ-2 amplifier.

However, I noticed a little annoiance that is not noticeable under normal listening conditions but still a little disturbing.

When turnig the volume of the 1066 up to around 70 and above, I notice a small "noise" out of the speakers. It sounds like the sound of a radio with no channel selected. Of course, this is only noticeable when no audio source is selected and playing.
    It is only noticeable when pressing my ear against the LS, but I cross-checked the produced noise with my old HK 6500 stereo amplifier.
    The noise out of my 1066 is much more noticeable (although the 6500 produces a similar noise, but not as pronounced).

Additionally, when changing the volume at the high volume levels, I can hear very small "clicking" sounds out of the LS. Again, this is only noticeable at volume 70 and above while pressing the ears against the LS, but it is still noticeable. This disturbs me.

I am sure that this noise is not out of the ordinary (no defective unit) but still it disturbs me.

When I switch from stereo to dolby music or cinema mode, this sound becomes much more noticeable, even at the listening position.
    Again, this holds only true for high volume levels.

But I would like to ask - is this indeed normal behaviour of the 1066?
    Would an upgrade to the much improved 1068 solve the annoying sound?

Its not that its noticeable under normal operation.

But all of you know that only KNOWING that its there (even if not noticeable) can be quite disturbing.

Regards,

Torsten
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Sounds normal if its only at high volumes with no source selected. the 1066 shares its ground among the inputs so you're likely picking up a little background noise from one of them...nothing to worry about.

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"