• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bOOtJ
    • Aug 2004

Rotel 1098

Hi to everybody of this GREAT forum.

I'm a proud owner of a 1098 and 1070 + 1075. :T
    Just one little question: when playing (by denon a11) DTS or Dolby Digital music CD, Rotel does lot of clicks between tracks, seems not to keep the dts or dd, and needs to swap to other "codec".... (like DTS, then PCM, then dts again)

any suggestion?

thanks for every reply and sorry for my UGLY english.

Sincerely

bOOtJ
  • Locutus2k
    • May 2004

Hi!
    I think it's a "problem" of the player not of the 1098 (i've had the same issue with another player). Try another player, just to be shure.
    All the best,

Luigi

Comment

• Fox
      • Nov 2003

No it’s not the player, it is the 1098. I have the same problems.

The 1098 processor losses (too) quick the digital lock.

This happens with the two DVD-players (Sony and Panasonic), a CD-player (Denon) I and a DVB-T receiver I have. And this happens with all digital formats (PCM, Dolby Digital, DTS and MPEG).

What I experience is a lot of switching (clicking) noise from the relays with also a faint “PLOP” sound through all the speakers (inc. the subwoofer).

An other problem is that it’s missing about 1-2 seconds of audio/dialogue.
      This happens with “channel surfing”, “chapter skip”, “layer change”, “pause” and “backward” and “forward” scanning.

It becomes very irritating when you have a DVD-menu who has a cycle of 25 seconds, then I have almost a continues noise of plopping and switching with audio that starts too late and sounds like someone with a speaking problem.

An other big problem is that if I make some temporary changes (channel levels), the 1098 switches back to the default setting when it loses the digital lock.

Rotel is aware of this problem, so I hope that in the next firmware update is a fix.

Comment

• bOOtJ
        • Aug 2004

thanks very much for sharing your experience...

I think this is a "BIG" problem, and I hope Rotel will solve it soon.

sincerely

bOOtJ

Comment

• Locutus2k
          • May 2004

I must insist: try another player AND another cable. If the issue persist with another player too, it may be the cable. I've had a faulty optical cable with this problems. I've also had a JVC player with this problem.
          Before thinking the 1098 has some problem, do all the possibile tests.
          Good luck :T

Comment

• Elmac
            • Apr 2004

I will second Locutus on that
            I had similar problem with HD cable box then I went and upgraded cable and problem went away
            good luck
            Elmac
            All HT Signals Processed by D2 for Ultimate Experience

Comment

• Azeke
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2003

I agree you should check you cables, (cable 101 class ). Does it take Coaxial? I actually own the 1098 and don't have the problem of your current magnitude.

You can also take it to the dealer to see if they can replicate the issue, it's possible it could be hardware related, if you have eliminated the aforementioned possiblilty.

Just my quick thoughts,

Azeke

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2003

Hi,

The RSP-1098's relay clicking when it changes digital signal types is well known and a design feature (Rotel uses relays for a clean signal path). It will happen a lot in the introduction of DVDs that often flick through several different formats. However you should not loose any dialogue etc since it corresponds to silent points in the DVD digital audio stream.

Firstly there is a high priority RSP-1098 Wish List item with Rotel for a fix o optionally have the RSP-1098 stay locked on the signal longer to deal with some units (e.g. HD Satellite boxes) that drop the DD signal with channel changes.

Secondly we have had several users with cable or player specific problems where changing the cable or the CD / DVD player fixed an issue of lots of seemingly unnecessary signal changes for that player or digital cable.

I believe there has also been one person with an actual faulty unit that needed repair / replacement - but this lost signal while playing a normal track after a while.

Geoff

Comment

• lcajiga
                  • Aug 2003

Ditto

I agree with Geoff and the others comments. I have the 1098 with a Yamaha S2300 Universal DVD and while watching a movie or concert, my 1098 is very quiet and locks the signal unless I want to change it. Same with my old Sony CD player and even with my Pioneer LD. The only time that I experience that problem is while switching my Dish network 921 HD receiver from channel to channel. It doesn't matter how fast I change, it cannot lock the signal long enough. The other problem with that source is that while watching a DD program, when non DD commercials are shown, the 1098 switches back and forth. Otherwise it behaves as it is intended for.

Regards,
                  Luis
                  Regards,
                  Luis

http://www.luiscajiga.com/HT.htm

"It is not what you see and hear...it is how!"

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"