X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • viji
    • Sep 2003

Questions about RSP-1098

Hello All:

I got a nice 6-page color booklet about the Rotel RSP-1098 from the dealer and after leafing through it, I have a few questions about the 1098.

Bass Management for Multi-Channel Inputs: I was wondering if the RSP-1098 offers something similar to the Anthem AVM 20 in this department. The latter offers the capability to digitize the multi-channel analog inputs and perform digital-domain bass management. The Anthem uses A/D converters from AKM and the A/D stage runs at 24bits/96kHz. The Rotels also uses the A/D converters from AKM (though I am not sure about the model). Is this mode necessary at all? I am not up to date with the feature set in the latest DVD-A & SACD players. If they have started featuring bass management at the source itself, then, of course, this feature in the processor is irrelevant.

Balanced Outputs: This is something lacking in the RSP-1098. All pre-amplifiers in the $3000 price range (Anthem AVM20, B&K Ref50 and even the $1999, Integra DTC 9.4) offer this. However, what I have read about balanced outputs in a pre-amp is that unless the entire circuitry of the processor is balanced, then providing just the balanced outputs/inputs is just a gimmick. What does it mean for the "entire circuitry to be balanced" in a processor? Also, with the distance between the power-amp and the pre-amp not likely to exceed more than a few feet in most instances, I wonder if need for balanced outputs is needed at all.

Hardware Upgradeability: Looking at the innards of the RSP-1098 in the booklet, the circuitry is built a la PCs with a bunch of cards plugging into the motherboard. Is each processing capability in the RSP-1098 (such as DTS, Dolby Digital decoding etc.) separated into an individual card as in some very high end models? Could we just plug in a new card for any future hardware upgrades?

Thanks for any feedback/answres,
    Viji
  • Scarp
    • Mar 2003

I suggest downloading the manual from the Rotel site, which answers many questions.

Bass Management for Multi-Channel Inputs: for the multichannel inputs it is a passthrough (to the volume control) only. No A/D conversion for this input. The passthrough is the simplest and often the best performing option. It also saves several A/D convertors. Obviously your players needs to implement its own bassmanagement and time alignment.

The 1098 uses 192 kHz/24bit D/A convertors. The stereo analog inputs are A/D converted and do offer bassmanagement in the digital domain (Dolby Prologic II and stuff)

Balanced Outputs: find the Q&A with Rotel thread for Rotels standpoint on balanced connections. Btw, TagMclaren AV30 (which is in the same pricerange) does not offer balanced also. Same with some other pre/pro's. Unless you got an incredibly dirty power in your house it won't add much. In the case of a member here named levesque it did matter much, however he also stated that in his new house it doesn't matter that much anymore.

Hardware Upgradeability: again, in the Q&A thread with Rotel there is an answer on this. Rotel never meant the 1098 to be "user" upgradable, i.e., plug in a new card by the user is not Rotels intention. However they do plan to improve on the machine, so I do expect that there will be upgrades that are done by Rotel themselves (same like tagmclarens updates). Also new formats could be put onto the current machine through firmware updates.

If you look closely at the back of the unit, you will see that each board has its own functions. Some are used for sound input, some for output, some for video, etc. How they are setup exactly only Rotel knows.

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"