X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fred Penders
    • Aug 2004

RSP 1066 and REL storm

I use the rsp 1066 together with 5 rmb 100 monoblocs and the REL Storm subwoofer. I can't get the REL playing good enough in 2 ch stereo. Even with gain at maximum (should not be done!) it has almost no volume. The settings in the OSD seem to be right. I used the same REL together with my old Luxman LV117 and it sounded verry good. Then the REL was connected at high level. What am I doing wrong?
  • Mark_C.
    • Jan 2003

OK, I'll bite. I have the Storm III, but it's not hooked up to my RSP-1066. It's in my two-channel system.
    Rels are incredibly difficult to set up. It took me a week of fiddling to get it right.
    First of all, how do you have it hooked up? Are you using the Neutrik connector?

Comment

• jlee
      • Aug 2004

I have the REL Stadium and Strata and I've demoed the Storm before. The setup is the same for all REL ST series. I've actually found the REL's relatively easy to setup once you've done it once (which can take a bit to perfect the first time around).

For 2 channel, you'll want to connect the Highlevel Neutrik connector to the REL and the leads directly to the amps driving the front channels. For MONOBLOCKS, REL has a specific hookup procedure that involves connecting the black lead to one of the AMP chassis... I would contact www.sumikoaudio.net and speak with Ted (he's the REL technician there) for details. Monoblock hookup is not covered in the older manuals. Maybe the manual has been updated now, I don't know.

For the lowlevel (LFE) make sure you actually have LFE turned on, and adjust the settings in the 1066 menu for the subwoofer. You can adjust it from -10dB to +10dB. For 2 ch, I personally set it to "off." I only use LFE for home theater. For 2 ch, the high level connection only gives you much better fidelity sound.

Also, not sure how long you've had the Storm, but REL's in general do not play "loud". You should not be able to hear it. When tuned properly, it should blend in just under your existing speakers, effectively making it 1 "full range super speaker". It should not draw attention to itself. If you want a REL that produces more bass at the expense of fidelity, the Q series is more suitable for that. Hope this helps.

Comment

• Fred Penders
        • Aug 2004

RSP 1066 and REL Storm

I just contacted a REL techician in Holland who said to me that te older REL Storm models have RCA connections not sensitive enough for the modern processors. They can modify the input in the way it's done in the REL Storm model II or III. Or a better idea???

Fred

Comment

• jlee
          • Aug 2004

Oh, I didn't realize you had the original Storm. I just assumed it was the "III" model. Glad you found the problem. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"