X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • umasgrad
    • Jul 2006

RSX-1057 Clipping

Hi Rotelians,
    Here is a newbie again probably with a silly question. I live in germany, I got my rotel 1057 over the weekend and set it up with my BW 602's on stereo mode. I owned a yamaha 595 and later a denon AVR-1804 and now I realize what I have been missing. This is a great receiver.

In the process of setting up the system and playing around a bit, when I was playing the "sultan of Swing" I noticed the receiver clipping at around volume of 65 ( it goes about to 80). Since I had the remote ( I like the remote- It learns so easily) in my hand I thought i must have pressed some button. So, repeated the steps again, there... again at about the same level the system clipped, I tried different CDs it always clipped between 65 and 70. I think the 602s can handle more power, I have bi-wired them with Kimber 8TC. The 1057 is rated 100w for 2 channel, I did not expect it to clip. Ofcourse I checked the connection, everything looks as it should.

What am I doing wrong ?

On the side note, I have a REL storm V and every time I power on/off there is pop sound. Previously I have had Velodyne VLF 1012, I have a more bassy but mild thud, but the REL gives pop. Is this normal.

Thanks In advance.
    umas

Equipment Used:

ROTEL-RSX1057
    B&W 602s3 monitors
    Denon DVD 1920
    REL Storm V
    Monster TOS Interlink
    Kimber 8TC speaker cable
    Monster THX Ultra 1000
  • CombatWombat
    • Jul 2006

If the 1057 has a simiallar volume levels as my 1068, then when I push my 1068 to volume 80 Im getting around 200-250 watt peaks though my primary amp which has wattage meters, and the S/N on my amp is 120db

Dont know if this really helps but its all I can offer, I dont think the 57 would be able to deliver though peaks without cliping, This is all providing the volume level is around the same.

How loud does it sound when it clips???

Comment

• shadow
      • Dec 2003

How do you know the sound you are hearing is clipping of the amp? I assume you have no test equipment that shows this. What is the peak db level you hear this sound? (with a meter, not the Rotel volume scale)

Comment

• CombatWombat
        • Jul 2006

I assume the question is directed at Umasgrad???

Comment

• umasgrad
          • Jul 2006

Well, I guess I may be mis-using the term "clipping" forgin. The Rotel simply shutsdown at the volume level of 65. I have not tested with a SPL meter yet (The batteries are down and unfortunately in Germany shops are closed on sundays) I get a new one today and test it.
          As far as loudens is concerned, My old denon sounded more louder until the point where I gave up before the amp did!

Comment

• ICEMAN70
            • Apr 2006

Did you play around with the OSD settings?

What does your Max volume goes up to? does it say Max?? or did you change it?

What is the volume level on your speakers? Like +1 or +5 ect..???

What is your Cross over on the front speakers? 40,60,100 HZ??

Is your connection good and secure?

When you mean by shutting off, does the 1057 go into the protection mode?

Comment

• umasgrad
              • Jul 2006

Originally posted by ICEMAN70
              Did you play around with the OSD settings?

What does your Max volume goes up to? does it say Max?? or did you change it?

What is the volume level on your speakers? Like +1 or +5 ect..???

What is your Cross over on the front speakers? 40,60,100 HZ??

Is your connection good and secure?

When you mean by shutting off, does the 1057 go into the protection mode?
              Thank you all, I really appreciate you all guiding me.

Looks like I have a few things to look into... But all comments seems to indicate that this is not supposed to happen

I dont know what protection mode is ICEMAN70, It just turns off and I have to turn it ON again manually, is this proection mode. The connections are good, but may be you have a point. The power strip is close to the REL, may be it is having an impact.

I increased the Speaker level to +5, and I was surprised to see that the clipping happend at the same point although there was additional gain in the speaker setting

The volume level in OSD.... I did not note that ( I reset the system to factory default few times), would it mean when the volume reached max it would shut off. I would rather expect the system to "hold" at that level. I will check the settings. I played around with various cut off frequencéis, it
              seems not to make a difference. I will try the suggestions and measure the volume with my SPL and see what it says.
              Thanks

Comment

• yourtoys7
                • Feb 2006

umasgrad
                I tryed with my 1057 up to 75 and sounds amazing. Sounds like something else....
                Sony AT 150" 16x9 screen
                PSB T6,
                Velodyne SPL 1000R
                Rotel RSX-1057
                Rotel RB-1070
                OPPO 103
                Apple TV
                [

Comment

• Kevin D
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

Since it's physically shutting down, there's a problem somewhere. None of the volume settings would cause it to shutdown. It's going into protection mode. Possible causes:

Bad 1057
                  Bad (shorted) connections
                  Bad Speakers
                  Speakers with a low ohm load. (602's should be fine)

When you start turning it up and it tries to send more power to the speakers, it detects too much resistance and shuts down for protection.

Fixes:

1) Remove speaker wires from the 1057 and play some music. If it shuts down without anything hooked up, bad 1057

2) Get some cheap speaker cable and just hookup the speakers normal (no bi-wire) If it still shuts down, bad speakers (or still might be bad 1057) Otherwise bad or incorrectly hooked up speaker wires.

3) If it shuts down in #2, grab any other set of speakers and try again. Still does it? Bad 1057.

I'm leaning to something incorrectly hooked up on the speaker wire end. Please describe in detail how and where you have your cables bi-wired.

Kevin D.

Comment

• umasgrad
                    • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Kevin D
                    Since it's physically shutting down, there's a problem somewhere. None of the volume settings would cause it to shutdown. It's going into protection mode. Possible causes:

Bad 1057
                    Bad (shorted) connections
                    Bad Speakers
                    Speakers with a low ohm load. (602's should be fine)

When you start turning it up and it tries to send more power to the speakers, it detects too much resistance and shuts down for protection.

Fixes:

1) Remove speaker wires from the 1057 and play some music. If it shuts down without anything hooked up, bad 1057

2) Get some cheap speaker cable and just hookup the speakers normal (no bi-wire) If it still shuts down, bad speakers (or still might be bad 1057) Otherwise bad or incorrectly hooked up speaker wires.

3) If it shuts down in #2, grab any other set of speakers and try again. Still does it? Bad 1057.

I'm leaning to something incorrectly hooked up on the speaker wire end. Please describe in detail how and where you have your cables bi-wired.

Kevin D.
                    Thanks Everyone!! ;x( I have figured the issue out. My mistake or rather problem with the REL connection. From the comments from you all it seemed like a wiring issue, I check the main speaker connections it looked good. However there is one thing which I assumed for creating problem, it is the REL when connected to the High level input thru the main output from rotel. When I removed this connection and connected ony with LFE input it works find, I pumped it almost to MAX which worked without a hitch. But when I had the fronts connected (tapped) to the High level input the Rotel goes to protection mode as mentioned earlier.
                    I checked with the REL manual, it specifies that the impedence of the HL input is very high so it should not cause any issues. There is another input called Balanced highlevel input in REL which the manual indicates that this is for use with the differential power amplifier in bridged mode. Before I simply try connecting the REL to the Balanced HL input, Can any one tell me if RSX-1057 is a differential power amplifier in bridged mode. In my limited understanding I was thinking bridging of amplifiers is done with two amps, or a amp and pre-amp. suggestions

Comment

• umasgrad
                      • Jul 2006

Although I figured the problem was with the REL, it turned out to be a simple wiring issue in the speak on cable on the REL. I should have opened the speakon termination, but I did not expect the new cable to be screwed up. The speakon has 4 pins inside the termination, and the +, - was interchanged. It always comes down to basic doesnt it !

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"