X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Britchie
    • Nov 2003

1098 w/1095 Volume Peak...How Loud do you play before Clip

I have a 1098 with the 1095 Amp. I usually play it loud, at around 75 per the Rotel 1098. I just purchased new speakers (Paradigm ref 100v3) that can handle a lot more power (350WPC) than my old ones.

Can I safely go higher than 75? When I audiotioned these the sales rep said 80 would be max. The 1098 goes to 99.

BTW...After all I read on this board I was sure that I was going to putchase B&W speakers. I auditioned the 604s and 804's. The 804's were awesome, but $1300 more than the Paradigm 100's and the difference in sound quality was not that noticable. Factor in another 2K for the B&W Center that Matches the 804 and it was way beyond what I was budgeting for speakers. The Pardigm 100v3 Rock of off the Rotel Gear and I can't wait until they get here. The performance vs. value of Paradigm was just too good for me to pass up

How loud do you play your rotel 1098 w.1095??

Update...I decided to go B&W 804's over the Paradigm 100's. I was already at $2500 USD for the Paradigm w/Center and It cost me $900 More w/out a center (HTM1 is the one I like). Foreget the Budget thing I mentioned above. Who ever gets things exactly how they want and under budget anyway. Especially with stereo equiptment.

The dealer got in the paradigm in the wrong color and at that point I took another listen to the 804's. Better to go for them now than later or wonder what If??? I probably would jhave been happy with the Paradigms but know for sure I'll love the 804's.
    Last edited by Britchie; 26 August 2004, 11:33 Thursday. Reason: Changed Gear
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

That's really difficult to answer since you're asking about a specific value that's a result of a combination of factors...those being the room, distance to listener, speaker, speaker wire guage and lenght and most importantly how the system is calibrated. Do you own an SPL meter and a calibration DVD such as Avia or Video Essentials? If not you should look into purchasing them as its really the only way to set your system to a reference point that will be the same for all of us. For example on my system 75 = reference level so if you had yours calibrated properly you could have your reference level set to 80 or 70 depending on your speakers etc...but the point would be that if you had it calibrated so that 80 was reference then we could compare numbers since my 75 would be exactly the same volume as your 80..without that baseline though its a guess as to how loud you can go etc.

Comment

• martino
      • Aug 2004

how loud can you go?

It's not the 1095 i'd worry about..if your runnig the 1095/1098 combo at 80+..I think your brain oozing out of your ear is more problematic!!

Maybe i'm just an old fart!

Cheers
      martin :E

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Well if it's in a barn or something it might not be ear-bleeding loud martin :B :rofl:

Seriously though that does seem rather high. Is your system in a fairly large room? Innefficient speakers? I mean anything above 70 is like louder than rock concert levels in my room though it's only about 14'x20' with a half open back wall with a 1066/1075 combo on relatively efficient speakers (around 90 if I remember). I like loud and I can't have it up at 70'ish for that long before turning it down...

Jason
        Jason

Comment

• PiDD
          • Aug 2003

I have the same Rotel combo. I also listened to B&W speakers (803's) but I bought some ONIX rockets (www.av123.com) for 1/3 the price and 98% the sound. My opinion, others my vary

I have a fairly large room to pressurize, 12x 40 with a 12' opening on one side. My ref is also around 70 on the dial and I can crank it up to 90 with a clean source but not for too long. Thats over 100Db.

Like Andrew says get a sound meter and level the system out, set ref and listen by ears and SPL.

Comment

• Bam!
            Super Senior Member
            • Jan 2004

I have a little 1056 that I use the pre outs into a 175 watts * 2 for my mains....and the rest is done by the receiver (for now) I play it at 65 to 75....and it's retarded loud......

However! yes there is a however...I have pumped up the volume to 85 with absolutely no problem other than my brain ending up in my shorts....cause it oozed down my ear....into my shirt....and into my shorts....without me feeling it with all the vibrations going on in the room....

Other than that it was great! :lol:
            Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
              Super Senior Member
              • Oct 2003

Britchie,

Congrats on "giving in now" to the upgraditis - it is easier than putting up with the pain...

I'm sure that the B&W 804s will make beautiful music for you...

And if you calibrate your 1098 to reference - that is equivalent on music to peaks of 105 Db - so say your reference level is about 75 ib tge volume - if you play at 80 then that is 110 Db - which for the 804s at about 90 Db efficiency for 1 W means 100W peaks - within their capabilities easy. If you to to 85 (assuming the reference of 75) then we are talking 115 db and about 350W peaks - which will be the limit of the 804s (and probably your hearing!)

Geoff

Comment

• Zzap
                • Sep 2003

It starts to get real loud / party loud at 60 for me - so that's usually my upper limit.

I've played material that apparently was recorded at a lower volume so I've been a higher than 60 but I've never been anywhere near 70.
                /John

Comment

• luszer
                  • Feb 2003

I have noticed a difference with the 1066 vs 1068. Everything has remained constant in my system and been re-calibraited as well. However, for HT I have notice on familiar material that I am cranked up 10 to 12 more notches on the volume control on the 1068 vs my old 1066.

I was running at about 58-62 for DTS and 60-65 for DD, now with the 1068 I am in the range of 62-66 for DTS and like 70 and over for DD material.

I orginally thought there was an amp, interconnect or 1068 setting issue, but the realization is its simply a different unit.

Ron

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by luszer
                    I have noticed a difference with the 1066 vs 1068. Everything has remained constant in my system and been re-calibraited as well. However, for HT I have notice on familiar material that I am cranked up 10 to 12 more notches on the volume control on the 1068 vs my old 1066.

I was running at about 58-62 for DTS and 60-65 for DD, now with the 1068 I am in the range of 62-66 for DTS and like 70 and over for DD material.

I orginally thought there was an amp, interconnect or 1068 setting issue, but the realization is its simply a different unit.

Ron
                    Or your hearing's going! : :rofl:

Jason
                    Jason

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"