X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vsarathy
    • Oct 2003

Audio Interconnects for 1098-1095

Well, my 1098/1095 have finally arrived at the dealer. I will pick them up on the way home this evening
    As there are lot of people out there that have various 1066/1098 and 1075/1095 combos, I wanted get some recommendations for good controller-amplifier interconnects. As HTGuide endorses CAT Cables, I am not sure if it is Okay to discuss other cables in this forum. If not, my apologies for violating forum rules. Otherwise, any suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks.
    Viji
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

Vsarathy,

I am currently running MIT AVT series interconnects.

Lex is one of the moderators here who is in charge of the CAT cables, perhaps you may want to peruse the catcable website and make a determination. I'm sure Lex can provide you some insight on the different flavors.

BTW, enjoy you new toys and allow sufficient break-in time, there are a pleathera of adjustments to make, but initally you want to run the SPL meter for sound calibration.

Regards,

Arman

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Depends on your tastes and budget but here's some recomendations...

Cat and Quantum are excellent quality with excellent customer service. Blue Jeans and Rhino are good lower priced alternatives. DIY cables are a good option if you don't mind doing the work yourself. You can get fairly high end cables for mid-level pricing, but it is a fair bit of work (which I recently found out) but was well worth it. Gene at Take Five Audio here in Canada is awesome.

J.R.

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
      Jason

Comment

• vsarathy
        • Oct 2003

I looked at the web sites for both CAT and Quantum cables. They both belong to the same parent company, MatrixAV.US. The presentation on both the sites look very similar in style. I am wondering if these cables are both made by the same manufacturer but marketed under different labels on different web sites.

Curiously,
        Viji

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

I'd say it's most akin to say Lexus and Toyota. Toyota owns both but Lexus' are more expensive and generally better quality. Cat would be Toyota, Quantum would be Lexus. Same company, better quality cables.

By the way, just FYI, for DIY cable I ended up using Belden 89259 cable and Vampire 5X/CB RCA's. They sound lovely A slightly more expensive option I was looking at was to use Cardas Crosslink for the cabling. The budget (otherwise known as the girlfriend) just wouldn't allow. I do highly reccomend looking into making your cables if you don't mind the work.

J.R.

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
          Jason

Comment

• ejfiii
            • May 2003

Hey Aud, I too am just starting to make my own cables. But damn those Vampire plugs look nice. I am using the $3 Canare rca plugs. I love this new aspect of the hobby. I am now making cables for my friends too. Hell, with just some RG6 and plugs, you can make stereo interconnects, componenet video, composite video and digital coax audio cables. I bought some colored heat shrink and some woven cable cover and they look JUST like $400 cables. I am quite pleased and its fun to do.

E. J.

My HT
            My HT

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Yeah I got a pretty big sense of satifaction with doing them myself and they sound pretty darn good too Warning though, those "nice looking" Vampire's were $26 (Canadian) per pair but they are quite nice and fairly easy to assemble requiring only one solder connection.

J.R.

Jason

Comment

• DSGCobra
                • Feb 2003

I am using AudioQuest Corrals from my 1098 to 1095. I am currently running AudioQuest for everything, they have not let me down yet, they are on the pricey side though.

Comment

• dwhite
                  • Oct 2003

I'm using Kimber Kable Hero interconnects and I am very pleased with them. I would definitely recommend them.

Dave
                  Dave

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Matrixx owns both CatCables and Quantum and yes the quantum line does tend to be a little higher end. I'd highly recomend either though I've only got an assortment of the Cat Cables (coppercat and silvercat) in my system.

Comment

• mazuly
                      • Feb 2003

I use Ultralink Interconnects and I am very happy with them.

Thanks,
                      Maziar

Comment

• Lex
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Apr 2001

HTGuide and CAT/Quantum's relationship is a little more than just HTG endorsing them. Since they are sponsors of HTG, supporting CAT and Quantum is supporting HTGuide. Without advertiser support, HTG could fairly quickly go by the wayside. Mats nor myself can afford to just support HTG for the members. It gets to a point, either the members support the Guide's sponsors, or at some point, we'll have to ask for member support, or go away.

Another example is the DIYer. Click the link to Parts Express, and purchase some DIY products there. You'll find they have a lot of connectors, tools, etc...

As far as CAT and Quantum differences, some products are higher end on Quantum such as speaker cables. Some products though are just different. Quantum is also designed as an audio only brand. No video products. Actually, a remake is in store for the Silver Centauri interconnect. But the Supernova will remain as is, a slight edge above CAT BlueTigers and as a premium copper cable. Digital on Quantum is different. Copper transmission, but WBT connectors. Not necessarily better than CAT's fine silver digitals, but different anyway.

If someone wants plain Belden based interconnects. You don't have to go to the other sites, just ask me for a quote. I'll get down in the trenches on price, and win with service.

Lex
                        Cat and Quantum Cables owner
                        HTGuide co-owner
                        Doug
                        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Lex
                          If someone wants plain Belden based interconnects. You don't have to go to the other sites, just ask me for a quote. I'll get down in the trenches on price, and win with service.

Lex
                          Cat and Quantum Cables owner
                          HTGuide co-owner
                          Oh sure. NOW you say that!...lol Oh well I'm sure some other folks would love to take advantage of that offer too.

J.R.

Jason

Comment

• vsarathy
                            • Oct 2003

Has anyone used or has any opinions on Nordost interconnects and speaker cables?

Viji

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"