X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lcajiga
    • Aug 2003

New Member and RPS-1098 Question

Hi all, I have been lurking in this site for some time since I purchased my RSP-1098 back on February 2003. I received the unit last week and installed it. I used to have an RSX 1065 with very good results. Only problem is that analog inputs were considerable louder than digital ones (optical and coaxial). Besides that, I was pretty happy with the sound.
    Now that I installed the 1098, I'm experiencing the same as the 1065 but now is worst. Switching from an analog input (CD, VHS, etc) to digital ones needs a lot of adjustments in volume. Even when watching Dish Sattelite System, when the channel uses the digital output, I need to adjust the volume since it sounded muted. In some DVD Music material recorded in Dolby Digital, I need to turn the unit to almost 80 to get a fair sound (not too loud). Also I found setting the Contour to MAX in both HFL and LFL to get a better dynamic sound. Any ideas? Any feedback will be very welcome.

In another subject, I'm also experiencing the Video Glitch. I discovered that if you setup the PROGRESSIVE in the Video option and also output the signal to both Screen and Monitor (TV) there is some interference to the High Definition TV and the TV starts trying to set 1080i and 480p intermittently. I needed to switch the Video option to output only to the 1098 screen with no PROGRESSIVE to have it work properly. It is no good since I want to see the OSD in the TV screen but I may wait for the software upgrade to fix that.

Besides that I'm very happy with the clarity of the sound and definition of the equipment.

BTW, my equipment is this:

Rotel RSP-1098, Rotel RMB-1095 (1), Rotel RB-1080 (1), Yamaha S2300 DVD, Definitive Technologies Speakers: BP7001SC (Left/Right), C/L/R 3000 (Center), SuperCube Reference (Sub-Woofer) and BPVX/P Surround Speakers (4)

Any feedback will be very appreciated.

Regards,
    Luis

Regards,
    Luis

"It is not what you see and hear...it is how!"
    Regards,
    Luis

http://www.luiscajiga.com/HT.htm

• Scarp
    • Mar 2003

The volume coming from analogue inputs is mostly dependent on your devices. If they send out a low sound, then your 1098 also gets that and doesn't automatically compensate for that.

It would be a pretty cool feature to have an volume "offset" for each input. Maybe you could post that in the request list for the 1098 (search for the topic).

Did you also try different analog cables? Maybe that could help a bit.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

The analog vs digital inputs is an issue we all face no matter what pre amp you use since its dependant on the source gear. As scarp mentioned the only work around would be some sort of off set for each device but even then items with both analog and digital like the DSS would still trip it.

Also I found setting the Contour to MAX in both HFL and LFL to get a better dynamic sound. Any ideas? Any feedback will be very welcome.
      I highly recomend not setting these to max...you're only boosting treble and bass to the max which while possibly sounding more dynamic its usually not a very accurate sound. See if you can get used to the sound with them closer to flat since that should be more accurate but that said its your system and if boosted sounds better to you who am I to say otherwise.

Comment

• lcajiga
        • Aug 2003

Thanks Scarp for your response. Yes I have tried with several different cables with similar results. Even with digital material, there is a big difference on how loud it sounds. With a lot less expensive HT equipment that difference (same material) was subtle. I understand that this new gear have a lot more detail and sound quality so maybe it is less forgiving with the source equipment (in this case the Yamaha DVD).

Regards,
        Luis

Regards,
        Luis

Regards,
        Luis

Comment

• lcajiga
          • Aug 2003

Thanks Andrew for your response. I never like the equalizers and prefer the flat sound. BTW that is how I had it with the 1065. Let me see if I may continue setting things up and see if I may go back to flat again.

Regards,
          Luis

Regards,
          Luis

Regards,
          Luis

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"