X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Quantronics
    • Apr 2004

Got my 1098 and 1095-Have a few questions

I finally received my new toys and got everything hooked up. WOW!!! What a difference they make on my 803s. First off thanks to everyone for answering all my questions earlier in the month. It really helped make the decision easy. I do have a few questions in regards to the 1098:

1. Is there anyway to customize the TFT display. It would be nice to see the volume text a tad bigger or maybe re-arrange the menu screen or even make up new quick menu screens. Just a wish I guess.

2. My Firmware is 1.0.0.03xxx. I hope the dealer didn't hose me on a really old unit here. I here most people are up to .18 or .16?
    2a. Should I upgrade it to 2.x?
    2b. Do I need a new EPROM to support 2.x?
    2c. Can I revert back to my old Firmware if for somereason the upgrade fails?
    2d. Can I leave the upgrade switch in the on position all the time. My unit fits into a rack and it's a bit cumbersome to pull it all out and work on the back of it. Right now, I have the cable plugged in and put in a position where I can pull it out for easy access.

3. Is there any way to output Digital Audio signals to Zone 2?

4. When I'm in the Display Menu and select "Yes" for progressive scan it seems to save it for all my other inputs as well. Is there anyway I can just set it individually per input?

5. When I turn my TFT off, it temporally turns on when I adjust the volume and then turns off. Anyway to permanently turn it off? The noise of the relays can get annoying.

6. Any way to get into the Input menu quickly?

7. I know a lot of you are B&W owners as well. With the 1098 and the 1095 and the B&W 803's what SUB would you suggest. My room is 14x18 with 18' ceilings. I currently have a Vandersteen 2wq. The setup is a bit funky. I have to hook the SUB in parallel with my L & R channels. I loose all the Bass management on the 1098 by not using the LFE. I would like to take advantage of a SUB that can do that and exploit the real potential of the 1098.

I apologize for the long message. I started writing and kept coming up with more questions. Thanks for your help in advance and look forward to helping out the forum.

Sincerely,
    Erich
  • GosonFletchy
    • May 2004

I think the information that you are looking for can be found here, http://rotel.com/support/techups/techup-H20.htm , you do not need a "new" eprom, you simply upgrade it. Once you have flashed your eprom, then you upgrade your software to the latest version, pretty slick huh? I would suggest that you become very familiar with the Rotel website, they use it to relay information to customers about any updates in software and any fixes to problems that they have discovered. Congrats on your 1098 btw, that unit rocks! :T

G

Comment

• Azeke
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2003

Congratulations on your new toys, they will be quite enjoyable :T .

Now on to your questions.

1. No, that is part of a wish list.

2. That is one of the original software versions, so that seems to be one of the original manufactured units :E .

a) I would definitely upgrade to the 2.x software (perhaps you should have your dealer perform the upgrade, since it will require an EPROM upgrade as well).

b) Yes, it would require the EPROM upgrade to support 2.x.

c) I am uncertain once you perform the upgrade, but if you have the previous software version, it may be possible.

d) No, you cannot leave the dip switches in the on position all the time, the
      unit will not function properly.

3. Zone 2 only perfoms thru analog connections.

4. I don't believe so.

5. No, this is currently a wish list item. The relay clicking is relative to the unit changing audio modes and this is considered normal.

6. Not via the current remote, you can purchase a separate remote and program it accordingly.

7. I will let B&W owners answer this question, but I am sure it will depend on your budget. You may want to let the members know how much you are willing to spend.

I am certain that other forum members will provide further elaboration and correct any of my errors.

Hope this helps,

Azeke

Comment

• whmacs
        • Oct 2003

Hi Erich,
        I'll have a go at the questions I can answer. See below...
        cheers,
        Stephen

I finally received my new toys and got everything hooked up. WOW!!! What a difference they make on my 803s. First off thanks to everyone for answering all my questions earlier in the month. It really helped make the decision easy. I do have a few questions in regards to the 1098:
        1. Is there anyway to customize the TFT display. It would be nice to see the volume text a tad bigger or maybe re-arrange the menu screen or even make up new quick menu screens. Just a wish I guess.
        Not at this stage, it is on Geoff's RSP-1098/ 1068 'wish list' and has been passed onto Rotel.
        2. My Firmware is 1.0.0.03xxx. I hope the dealer didn't hose me on a really old unit here. I here most people are up to .18 or .16?
        This is very old firmware. I got my unit in Feb and it had 1.03 in it. If you are worried about the EPROM upgrade (there are alot of info on this forum about it) and you don't have a 7.1 system, the you should at least upgrade to 1.18. This fixes alot of bugs in the early versions.
        2a. Should I upgrade it to 2.x?
        2.x gives you Prologic IIx support, but note you _must_ do the EPROM upgrade first. There where initially a few problems with 2.1.1, but Rotel quickly released 2.1.2 which is rock solid. Once you do the EPROM upgrade you need to install 2.1.2.

2c. Can I revert back to my old Firmware if for somereason the upgrade fails?
        Only if you have the old firmware on your computer. For example if you 1.00 and upgrade to 1.16 you can't go back as you don't have the 1.00 firmware. If you then upgrade to 1.18 from 1.16 you can always reinstall 1.16.
        2d. Can I leave the upgrade switch in the on position all the time. My unit fits into a rack and it's a bit cumbersome to pull it all out and work on the back of it. Right now, I have the cable plugged in and put in a position where I can pull it out for easy access.
        Not sure about this. Anyone???
        3. Is there any way to output Digital Audio signals to Zone 2?
        No, The RSP-1098 doesn't do digital -> analogue down conversion which is a shame.
        4. When I'm in the Display Menu and select "Yes" for progressive scan it seems to save it for all my other inputs as well. Is there anyway I can just set it individually per input?
        Not sure about this one...
        5. When I turn my TFT off, it temporally turns on when I adjust the volume and then turns off. Anyway to permanently turn it off? The noise of the relays can get annoying.
        There is a beta firmware upgrade that a few members on this forum have tired that addresses this issue. A fix is in the works...
        6. Any way to get into the Input menu quickly?
        Not that I'm aware of.
        7. I know a lot of you are B&W owners as well. With the 1098 and the 1095 and the B&W 803's what SUB would you suggest. My room is 14x18 with 18' ceilings. I currently have a Vandersteen 2wq. The setup is a bit funky. I have to hook the SUB in parallel with my L & R channels. I loose all the Bass management on the 1098 by not using the LFE. I would like to take advantage of a SUB that can do that and exploit the real potential of the 1098.
        B&W make some very nice subs. There 8 series sub looks very impressive.

I apologize for the long message. I started writing and kept coming up with more questions. Thanks for your help in advance and look forward to helping out the forum.

Sincerely,
        Erich
        My Home Theatre

Comment

• Quantronics
          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Azeke
          7. I will let B&W owners answer this question, but I am sure it will depend on your budget. You may want to let the members know how much you are willing to spend.

I am certain that other forum members will provide further elaboration and correct any of my errors.

Hope this helps,

Azeke
          I'm very open in regards to the SUB. If it matches my 803s I have no issue spending the money. I'll get a pretty good deal on my 2wq so I can spend some extra on the new sub.

Another clairfication, I have a 5.1 system right now. With the 2.1.2 update, do all the upgrade features also incldue the upgrades from the 1.1.8 upgrade? I like a lot of the 1.1.8 upgrades and want to make sure they are part of the 2.x family. Doesl Doly Pro Logic IIx take advantage of a 6.1 or 7.1 setup?

Thanks again for the quick replies.

Sincerely,
          Erich

Comment

• Azeke
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2003

"Another clairfication, I have a 5.1 system right now. With the 2.1.2 update, do all the upgrade features also incldue the upgrades from the 1.1.8 upgrade? I like a lot of the 1.1.8 upgrades and want to make sure they are part of the 2.x family. Doesl Doly Pro Logic IIx take advantage of a 6.1 or 7.1 setup?"

I believe the 2.1.2 retains all the previous updates, it also includes the DoProIIx upgrade, which does take advantage of the of 7.1 channels, providing stereo mix for the CBs. It's a beautiful thing :T .

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
              Super Senior Member
              • Oct 2003

Quantronics,

If you can beg, borrow or steal enough for a B&W ASW 850 - do so - and be happy.

Awesome bass. Awesome musicallity. Perfect integration with your B&W 803s.

See here for one of several 5 star reviews...

If not - then try a SVS PB2+ or PB2-Ultra.... (Nearly as good for a lot less...)

Regards

Geoff

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"