X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fred Penders
    • Aug 2004

Rotel rsp 1066 or 1068

I don't know if i should buy a rsp 1066, allmost new but second hand ( € 900) or a new rsp 1068 ( € 1700) Is the 1068 worth the extra money? What are the main differences?

Fred
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Try doing a search in here as this has been asked many times before Basically better decoding, better sound quality, newer surround formats, better bass management etc.

The 1066 is no slouch however and if you can get one at a fairly reduced price and you don't need DPLIIx for example it might be a good option for ya.

Jason
    Jason

Comment

• tombowlus
      • Feb 2004

Originally posted by aud19
      Try doing a search in here as this has been asked many times before Basically better decoding, better sound quality, newer surround formats, better bass management etc.

The 1066 is no slouch however and if you can get one at a fairly reduced price and you don't need DPLIIx for example it might be a good option for ya.

Jason
      I know that this has been discussed extensively, but as long as we have a thread going right here on top
      :W

I was wondering if the incremental improvements to the 1068 would result in a noticeable improvement from the 1066 when using the multi-channel inputs. The DSP improvements seem to be the most dramatic, and this would be largely taken out of the equation if I use the multi-channel inputs. Still, if the power supply and other upgrades make a worthwhile improvement to the multi-channel inputs, then I may trade in my 1066.

Thanks, Tom.

Comment

• Mark_C.
        • Jan 2003

My pre/pro philosophy is to skip a generation of models-- to preserve my sanity if nothing else. For instance, DPLIIx may be the greatest invention since sliced bread, but I don't have a 7.1 system. The 1068 may sound better, but I doubt it would be jaw-dropping. So I'll wait until the RSP-1070 or whatever in 2005. One thing is certain: the life cycle of HT products, even those made by Rotel, is getting shorter and shorter.

Comment

• tombowlus
          • Feb 2004

Good point, and like you, I am sticking with 5.1 for the foreseeable future. That may be very good advice.

Comment

• Leef DaLucky
            • May 2003

Hmm..

Indeed,
            Here I'll do some quick legwork for you, as I could use this for my own reference, and i'm thinking of getting one myself.
            (apologies for any quote innaccuracies, but like i said, quick and dirty)...

Malcky says:
            so first impressions are:

1) excellent sub settings/options, i have waited ages for a pro to allow differant sub settings on 1 input, let me explain. most of my viewing is from satalite on a optical connection so now i can set the sub at 0db if its a dolby digital film and +6db if its normal dolby surround and set sub to off when listening to music, so its a case of once set thats it. now only have to press one button to flick from stereo to surround. this is the best selling feature to me apart from the listening test of course.

2) simple to set up

3) the hiss issue that the 1066 had is not nearly as bad as i cant hear it from more than a couple of inches from the speaker this time and its a very low hiss at that.

4) sounds very good so far, going to watch a dvd tonight for proper test of it though.
            Stevebez says:
            Just got the RSP1068 in UK and took me not more than 1 hour to setup and plug it all in. Very easy to use and has substantial additional functionality over the 1066 that is practically usefull and they should be complimented on not just adding gimmicks all over the shop.

The passage of progressive video is a bonus, assignable 12v triggers, better OSD and front Panel Display, group sound delay for lip synch probs, delay settings done by distance rather than time, deeper menu's with alot of finer settings all round. I still need to fine tune all this though - have not even had chance to calibrate with an SPL!

Also I believe composite video can be converted to component, so you really only need one component connection to your monitor ... but need to check this out. Progressive mode is assignable to the video inputs as well.

Other than that the build is great with really neat toroidal transformer...certainly better than the 1066.

First sound impressions are a very quiet background ... need more time to see how this baby goes after a burn in. So far no hum's etc what so ever and by comparison its alot cleaner in terms of switching/clicking type noises that my 1066 was prone to.
            Rosros says:
            July-August edition has Robert Deutsch review of the 1068. Robert was very enthusiastic with the 1068 commenting on the sonic qualities..."the sound was very impressive indeed." that it was "clean, detailed, dynamic and transparent" being a bit brighter and more agressive than the 1066.."the surround effects were first rate, and I was at times surprised by voices coming from the rear that I had not identified as clearly before." The 1068 "contineu to improve the effectiveness of decoding DD and DTS..." and "the RSP-1068 performed very well in the analog mode too".

Mr Deutsch commented that previous he ranked the rsp 1066 below the Anthem AVM20 and his Primare SP31.7, both over $3k. Now with the 1068 Mr Deutsch claimed that the 1068 came "astonishingly close to the SP31.7...the overall clarity, dynamics and surround effects matched the more expensive processor and the Rotel's feature set and ergonomics are actually superior." This in effect places the 1068 above the Anthem and at least equal to the Primare for 1/2 the price.

Still sitting on the fence, this article should be enough to push you over to the Rotel rsp 1068
            ------------
            in essence, here's what i understand:
            rsp-1068:
            Better OSD
            Better DAC's
            Better BM
            Video Transcoding
            Improved Processing fields.
            Improved Processor (for firmware upgrades)
            *note: there is speculation that the 1066's Processor is approaching full capacity.
            That's why no DPLIIx update. (except if they decide on relinquishing some of the lower/obselete sound field formats-good idea on that one!)

Even if my system was still only 5.1, i'd be tempted to hop on the 1068 bandwagon.
            (just for the current support on it, and the better DACs)
            They're both incredible products though. I'd be happy owning either.
            Having said that, waiting for the new breed isn't such a bad idea either.
            It sure would be nice to get some pre's with DVI/hdmi transcoding and simplified multi-inputs.
            (i hate running multiple lines, and components like DVDo are too much $$ for what they do).
            This of course could take awhile though. The 1068 is new and I don't see Rotel putting something out just to appease the flavour of the month.

hope it helps.
            I'm still trying to sort this question out for myself.
            /me goes back to lurking.

mikey
            "...Because Good is Dumb...!"
            -Dark Helmet

Comment

• GosonFletchy
              • May 2004

I did not see it mentioned in any of the above post, but my favorite feature added to the new line of Rotel receivers and processors is ANALOG BYPASS.
              :-y ;b> :-y arty: This feature is clutch people. I love it, the video upconversion is cool too and makes things nice and easy to hook up, but the ability to bypass any analog input is awesome. I also like the freedom of the indepindent 12 volt trigger assignment. :sn

G

;zx

Comment

• Azeke
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2003

Also not mentioned here, in all probability, no further firmware updates for the 1066.

I enjoyed my 1066 very much, like previously mentioned if you get a great price it's a keeper.

Is it possible to listen to both a make a determination, that is the ultimate test, then determine if the 1068 is worth the price.

If you are being budget conscience then the 1066 is the way to go, if not I would definitely go with the 1068. Search the forum, some others have had the same delimma.

Good luck,

Azeke

Comment

• nash
                  • Mar 2004

What is analog bypass?

Comment

• tombowlus
                    • Feb 2004

The assignable triggers might be important. Has anyone tried using the 1068's 12v triggers with Theta Digital amps? I have a pair of Enterprises for my mains, and an Intrepid for center and surrounds, and I could not get the triggers to work with my 1066. I think one was a pulse style trigger, and the other was a constant power type, if I recall.

Comment

• sonicworld
                      • Aug 2004

I 2nd prevoius query...what is analog bypass?

Originally posted by GosonFletchy
                      I did not see it mentioned in any of the above post, but my favorite feature added to the new line of Rotel receivers and processors is ANALOG BYPASS.
                      :-y ;b> :-y arty: This feature is clutch people. I love it, the video upconversion is cool too and makes things nice and easy to hook up, but the ability to bypass any analog input is awesome. I also like the freedom of the indepindent 12 volt trigger assignment. :sn

G

;zx

Comment

• redbears
                        • Aug 2004

I just picked up a store demo RSP-1066 for AUD $999, came with the 3 year warranty as well. Didn't appear to have been connected to anything and overall was 'AS NEW'. This processor combined with the RB-1080 amp has really opened up the potential of my speakers. I didn't compare this processor to any other, but for the $$$ I believe it is an excellent buy.

Also, I am not ready to buy silver components, so black was the only option for me, personal opinion only of course.

Will post some pics in the other thread shortly.

At the end of the day, what I am getting at is, the choice may come down to many factors like what you have now, how much you can afford and what features you need. If money isn't such an issue and the features on the 1098 are important, then go for it :T from my experience with the 1066, Rotel is serious bang for buck (or in your case Euro )

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Oct 2003

Nash and Sonicworld,

Analog Bypass is the RSP-1068 and 1098's ability to take an analog stereo signal and pass it straight through the processor, only controlling the volume. They have the option of playing these signals as stereo or bypass, with stereo including digitisation, tone controls, bass processing etc.

I believe the RSP-1066 (like many receivers and still some processors) converted all stereo inputs into digital using its A/D converters. This allowed good things such as bass processing, time delay processing etc but lost some quality in analog signals from high quality CD players etc.

Bypass mode is often preferred by people with veyr high quality CD players and analog cables so that they can enjoy theo sound from the Digital to Analog conversion in the CD player...

Regards

Geoff

Comment

• tombowlus
                            • Feb 2004

Keep in mind that the 1066 also has analog bypass - on the multi-channel inputs. You can plug a stereo source into just the L/R inputs. It is my understanding that the 1068 adds a stereo analog bypass in addition to the multi-channel.

Comment

• ekkoville
                              • Aug 2004

Does anyone now if there is any bass management options for the subwoofer in analog bypass? I use small main speakers and it doesn't sound like any signal is going to the sub during the bypass mode.

Erik

Comment

• pbarata
                                • Feb 2003

I've RSP-1066 and I can ansure that if you connect your CD player to the analog CD input (and also to the tape, tuner and multichannel inputs) and select 2 Channel stereo mode you will get analog bypass.

On the manual (page 16) you can read:

"2CH Button

Press this button to activate conventional 2-speaker stereo mode with no surround sound or other processing. This is “pure” stereo, using the front left and front right speakers (with or without subwoofer), with no surround channels and no center channel."

RSP-1066 Manual can be found at http://www.rotel.com/support/pdfs/ma...sp1066_eng.pdf
                                Movies: Samsung LCD LE37A557, Rotel RSP-1066 & RMB-1075, Sony PS3, VdH D-102 Hybrid III interc, QED XT-350 & Supra Rondo 4x2,5 speaker cable, QED Qunex P75 coax, Monitor Audio Silver 5i/8i/10i speakers, REL Quake sub, QED Qunex SR-SW subwoofer cable, IXOS XHT458 HDMI, Supra LoRad, Isotek Mini Sub GII;
                                Music: Rega Planar 3, Goldring 1042, Vincent PHO-8, Krell KAV-280cd, Krell KAV-400xi, B&W 703, Siltech SQ-28 Classic G5 (XLR), Siltech LS-68 Classic Mk2, Nordost Vishnu, QED Qonduit MDH6.

Comment

• gzubeck
                                  • Aug 2004

Rotel 1068 playing music cd's?

Doesn't the 1068 have the ability to improve the sound processing due to the higher quality DACs in the unit...this is one of the features I would be interested in as I've got a pretty good sony es DVD/SACD player and would like better digital processing of just regular music cd's...anyone have any comments...

Comment

• alkalay
                                    • Jun 2004

ekkoville, bypass means you get volume control and that's it. No BM.

pbarata' just to be accurate, connecting to the analog does not mean bybass. It means the unit gets an analog signal but may convert to digital and then back to analog.
                                    Analog bypass means getting an analog signal and sending this signal out without A to D, and then D to A it.

Oh yes, as the contour at the 1068 is “digitally implemented” you will not even get bass and treble adjustments while going bypass. You get a full, accurate, clean and clear sound though.

Itai.

Comment

• pbarata
                                      • Feb 2003

Alkalay, I'm confused now about the way how RSP-1066 uses the 2-Channel option. Is it going from analog to digital, allowing bass and treble control in digital domain, and then convert it again to analog?

I though the signal would be kept in analog all the way long. As stated in the manual "2-speaker stereo mode with no surround sound or other processing" !?
                                      Movies: Samsung LCD LE37A557, Rotel RSP-1066 & RMB-1075, Sony PS3, VdH D-102 Hybrid III interc, QED XT-350 & Supra Rondo 4x2,5 speaker cable, QED Qunex P75 coax, Monitor Audio Silver 5i/8i/10i speakers, REL Quake sub, QED Qunex SR-SW subwoofer cable, IXOS XHT458 HDMI, Supra LoRad, Isotek Mini Sub GII;
                                      Music: Rega Planar 3, Goldring 1042, Vincent PHO-8, Krell KAV-280cd, Krell KAV-400xi, B&W 703, Siltech SQ-28 Classic G5 (XLR), Siltech LS-68 Classic Mk2, Nordost Vishnu, QED Qonduit MDH6.

Comment

• alkalay
                                        • Jun 2004

hey pbarata,

I'm not sure about the 1066, but if you have contour control I'd guess it does A to D and then back D to A. Not having surrounds (may it be center and/or rears) does not have to mean analog bypass.

On the 1068 you get both Bypass and a Stereo mode with the later doing A2D2A.

Think it's the same with the 1066.

Added:
                                        Please keep in mind I'm talking about the cd, tuner and tape connections and not the multi input, as I'm not sure about this one.

Itai.

Comment

• Stevebez
                                          • Oct 2003

I have had both units and for me the 1068 solves a few shortcomings the 1066 had that were a little frustrating

Lipsync timing adjustment enabled in 1068

Toroidal t/f in 1068 - nicer to know than any noticible resultant sound differences it seems.

Better arranged LCD display.

Cleaner set-up menu

Speaker delay setup by distance rather than milli seconds

More detailed speaker setup across different decoding methods etc.

Better bass management

Prog scan pass through to component output

Setup Menu available to be displayed in component prog scan mode. (although source video blanks out while menu is displayed)

Softer (quieter) startup. On off switch is digital instead of mechanical now.

Assignable 12v triggers.

Decoding implementation seems quicker to lock on.

Max volume setting (so you dont destroy your precious speakers) also has startup volume value. (My 1066 had a quirk of just maxing out on volume - i.e. volume would climb on its own)

Overall though - sound difference is not dramatically different by certainly noticible. So I guess the pros are well balanced by the price gap. What I can say though is the sound has a more black background.

For me - money well spent on the 1068.

Regards Steve

Arcam DV88+
                                          REL Quake
                                          Boston Micros all round
                                          Panasonic PW42D5
                                          RB1080 (overkill for my speaker setup but hey too much power is just enuf! waiting to get B&W 703's)
                                          RMB1075
                                          RSP1068
                                          SKY+

Comment

• aarsoe
                                            • May 2004

Come to think of it. With all the people having had a 1066 - have anybody ever developed a spreedsheet to calculate the delay settings?

I know this is not really part of this thread - but it takes the advantage of the distance setting on the 1068 out..

Comment

• hired goon
                                              • Aug 2004

G'day,

I had a 1068 for a little while, but the wife objected to the cost, and I now have a *much* cheaper 1066.

Most of the differences mentioned above (better OSD, better bass management, assignable 12v triggers, etc) I can live without.

Stereo processing didn't seem to improve by that much in the 1068, and I can live with that.

The thing I miss most is the improved Dolby Digital and DTS decoding. The 1068 had a better sound stage, and I was constantly amazed at how sound was presented. Even Dolby ProLogic II sounded fuller. Normally when listening to TV I eschew ProLogic II and revert back to 2 channel. But with the 1068, ProLogic II sounded much better, and I never felt like going back to 2-channel.

With the 1066, however, the decoding is not much better than my old entry-level Pioneer AV receiver. Dolby ProLogic II doesn't seem to have much presence (I've gone back to listening in 2-channel rather again), and Dolby Digital and DTS don't amaze me any more than the el cheapo Pioneer.

At least I got the 1066 new and cheap, and I reckon I can sell it for pretty much the same value when I finally rustle up the funds for a 1068[*]. So my advice is to go the 1068 if you can.

-- Geoff
                                              [*] Since the 1066 and the 1068 look quite similar, maybe I can buy a 1068 and sneakily substitute it for the 1066, without the wife noticing ... :wink:

Comment

• Stevebez
                                                • Oct 2003

Done that substitution with much success !!!

Rgds Steve

Comment

Working...
                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                Search Result for "|||"