X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SomaJoe
    • Jul 2003

new 1066 owner with BM questions

1066 BM setup

Hi! New to the forum, as I just got my 1066/1075 combo last week.
    I'm glad I found this site, because I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how to do my bass management.

My equipment is as follows:

RSP 1066 / 1075
    Outlaw ICBM Bass Management unit.
    Marantz DV8400 - For SACD/DVD-A/CD only
    Bravo D1 - For DVD video only

5 B&W VM-1 speakers (freq response down to 80Hz)
    1 B&W ASW-500 (freq reponse up to 80 Hz)
    (Basically a 5.1 Satellite/Sub system for speakers)

For movies, I'm using the digital coax out from the Bravo, and letting the 1066 do the decoding. So for this, I set the all speakers for "small", using a sub, and set the crossover at 80Hz.

For music, I'm using the multichannel analog output (for both multichannel and stereo) from the DV8400 into the ICBM, and then from the ICBM into the multichannel inputs on the RSP1066. I set the crossover freq for each satellite on the ICBM to 80Hz, so the sub channel gets anything below 80Hz in addition to the LFE channel (if it's there, which I'm not sure of in most music). So now, I can set the speakers to "Large" and let the ICBM do all the bass management.

What I'm trying to figure out is if I can avoid having to change the speakers from "Small" to "Large" when I switch from movies to music. If I set all the speakers to "Small" for music as well, set the crossover at 80Hz, tell the 1066 that I have a subwoofer, will I need I need the 'two resistor cut' BM fix that I've read about now? If I understand the issue correctly, I will probably need the fix only when I get full range L/R front speakers.

Thanks for any advice.

-joe

Joe's HT
    Joe's HT
  • Bill Blank
    • Sep 2002

What I'm trying to figure out is if I can avoid having to change the speakers from "Small" to "Large" when I switch from movies to music.
    No, you will not be able to avoid changing your speaker size, unless you use your Bravo's bass-management (if it has any).

If I set all the speakers to "Small" for music as well, set the crossover at 80Hz, tell the 1066 that I have a subwoofer, will I need I need the 'two resistor cut' BM fix that I've read about now?
    Yes, regardless of any BM you're using before the 1066, it will automatically redirect all frequencies below 100Hz to your sub. If your cross-over is set to 80Hz that would result in a "doubling" of the bass from 100-80Hz. What the doubling would result in with your setup in your room none of us can say. If you naturally have a dip there it may smooth things out a bit. In most cases it wreaks havoc. The only way to avoid the doubling of bass without doing the fix is to use a crossover setting of 100Hz, which is the limit for most systems as the bass becomes very localizable from there on up.

Hope this helped.

Bill

Rotel RSP-1066
    Rotel RMB-1075
    Rega Planet 2000
    Denon DVD-2900
    Mitsubishi WS-55411
    Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v3
    Paradigm Reference Studio CC-470 v3
    Paradigm Reference Studio 20 v3
    Velodyne CT-120

Comment

• SomaJoe
      • Jul 2003

Yes that helps. The bump from 80-100Hz is what I was thinking about. I've only had the 1066 for 10 days now so I can still return it. Has this been fixed in the newer processors?

Joe's HT
      Joe's HT

Comment

• Bill Blank
        • Sep 2002

Rotel's decided to stick to it's spec and still makes the 1066 with the resistors in place to redirect the bass. They will remove them free of charge (except shipping to them) under warranty if you choose. I sent my unit to them today to have the modification done and to have the firmware updated.

Bill

Rotel RSP-1066
        Rotel RMB-1075
        Rega Planet 2000
        Denon DVD-2900
        Mitsubishi WS-55411
        Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v3
        Paradigm Reference Studio CC-470 v3
        Paradigm Reference Studio 20 v3
        Velodyne CT-120

Comment

• Scarp
          • Mar 2003

Andrew, could you ask the Rotel people to let the wordwide dealers know about this "modification", since the dutch distributor didn't know about this and even recommended *not* to do it myself. Curious that in the USA they will do this modification.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"