X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JOY DIVISION
    • Aug 2004

Rotel RDV-1060 or ARCAM DIVA79???

Has anybody owned these products, I am just starting to setup my HT since my setup is strictly 2 channel. I already have a receiver(Rotel 1056) just got this today, but only heard it for a few hours, the speakers consist mostly of 4 602 S3's and the dedicated center channel, the sub I'm still trying to decide, I have a Revel B-15 and I don't want to use it for a small 5.1 and I would probably prefer something like a $700.00 sub? Any suggestions?

The question now is for the DVD, Is the Rotel RDV-1060 a far better product than the ARCAM DiVA 79? I'm using Arcam CD player and it is pretty excellent for the money I paid it. I've read pro reviews on RDV-1060 and they were saying that the audio sound was pretty close or about the same RCD-1072, is this right? The price difference is about close to $300.00. Anyone with a suggestion?
  • Jurgen
    • Jul 2003

I've been using the arcam dv 88+ myself in conjunction with the rsx 1055. I am very much impressed with both machines. Style wise, the rdv1060 and 1056 would be the combination to go for, but soundwise I guess I would favour the arcam. The dvd79 has recieved some great reviews over here: it is essiantially a 88+ without the double chassis.
    CD replay on the 88+ is excellent. Also, sound through the coaxial output seems more sophisticated than what I have heard from a rdv1080 I had on trial back home. The latter was too bright for me.
    Picture wise: you probably don't need progressive pal, but the arcam at least offers this hassle free, where the 1060 apparantly offers it with difficulties.
    Also, the Arcam has been build completely in house and from the ground up with optimum quality control. I am not sure if Rotel has made the switch yet to in house engineering of their players.

If you can you should obviously try them both. If you can't: I'd go for the arcam.

Regards,
    Jurgen

Comment

• Stevebez
      • Oct 2003

I too have the 88+ and also considered Rotel player initially. Must say very happy with the unit and its build quality. As for the DV79, cannot really say how it compares although I know it has full PAL progressive "licencing".

In 2 channel, HDCD and DVD-A (using DD5.1 not DVD-A) as 88+ does not cater for DVD-A, the 88+ is really good. Picture supberp and easy to use. Great OSD as well.

Have not auditioned the Rotel but am very happy with the Arcam and am looking to possibly swap the 88+ for a 79 for the DVD-A benefits.

Rgds Steve.

Comment

• Shane Martin
        Super Senior Member
        • Apr 2001

I've seen the Rotel but I can't say I was impressed. It had an odd scart bug where it would lock into scart mode and you had to shut it down and restart it to clear that.

The Arcam got a fairly high rating from Secrets

but at $1,799 and no SACD and no upscaling past 540p, that's quite a reach IMHO. The new Denon 3910 at $1,299 should be spectacular. Dual I-Link outputs, SACD + 8mb buffer for layer changes make it a better value(unless it turns out to be a piece of crap). I would atleast consider it if I were you. The Arcam is a nice player though and could likely be a better player for cd audio if that's a concern. Video wise, it's hard to knock what Denon is doing and they will be using the Faroudja chip as well which is better IMHO than the Zoran which is what Arcam is using. I believe the 3910 is due out late this month or sooner.

Something to consider atleast..

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Shane Martin
          I've seen the Rotel but I can't say I was impressed. It had an odd scart bug where it would lock into scart mode and you had to shut it down and restart it to clear that.
          That's been fixed in the latest update..

Kevin D.

Comment

• luszer
            • Feb 2003

Has anyone made the comparsion between the DV78 to the DV79 or DV89

I believe the only difference with the DV79 supports HDMI and has internal DD,DTS decoding along with DVD-A.

As for the DV89 maybe some better components compared to the other 2, no HDMI support, but internal decoding as well, no DVD-A.

Any experience or assistance in greatly appreciated.

I have a CD72 and was thinking of making the move to an all encompassing DVD player, however not concerned with DVD-A.

Thanks
            Ron

Comment

• Jurgen
              • Jul 2003

small mistake on my part ops:

While describing my 88+ I thougt you'd opted for the dv 78(which doesn't have the double chassis and is the "starter" model for arcam). The dv79 however, is easily comparible with the 88+, if not downright better. I believe it has al its features, same build quality and adds a DVI output and dvd audio. Also(but I'me not sure) it has some sort of lip sinc feature. Anyway, you can check that on several websites.
              From a 88+ perspective I think Arcam offers better quality than a rotel dvd player. However, as stated above, there are more fish in the ocean.

Comment

• JOY DIVISION
                • Aug 2004

Thanks, I thought I saw the Diva 79 at newyorkwharehousale for about $1399.00, I don't know if they sold out. Any place where you could get these at the same price for $1399.00?

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"