X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bgymr
    • Dec 2014

RSX-1065 plays in Stereo but will not play in surround

So I have a lead on this receiver, but the owner says it won't play in surround sound mode. But in Stereo it plays just fine. At 100 bucks I think it's a good deal, but I am looking for a receiver that plays surround sound.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced this before. Is it fixable?

First time post! Thanks to the Rotel community!
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Welcome!

Ask the current owner to verify if the most recent firmware is installed & to try resetting the unit to the "factory default" settings to see if this cures the problem.
    Info is available at the Rotel web site.

good luck!
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• bgymr
      • Dec 2014

Wow, that was quick! Thanks for the reply. Should I assume that it is the processor at fault?

Comment

• wkhanna
        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by bgymr
        Wow, that was quick! Thanks for the reply.
        Your welcome.
        I just happen to be in the right spot at the right time, it appears.

Should I assume that it is the processor at fault?
        Likely, but not necessarily.

owner's manual

Firmware download
        _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

The later units (1067) are know for blowing DSP boards. The symptoms are that no processing works, but the multi-channel inputs and stereo-bypass (pure analog) works fine.

I don't think the 1065 actually had a stereo-bypass settings, but who knows how the seller is 'proving' it works in stereo. It could just be the mutli-channel inputs. It could be the center/rears are disabled in the menu and he doesn't have/understand the remote.....but chances are the DSP board is fried and I would pass. You could get a working RSX-1067 for what a replacement board costs.

Kevin D.

Comment

• madmac
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2010

All of the above advice is good in my opinion (especially the part about going into the menu and telling the damn unit that you actually HAVE center and surround speakers!!) . Normally though, once the DSP is fried, only the Rotel's famous 'Stereo bypass' mode will work and in analog only. I believe all the RSX models offer the stereo bypass function.
            Dan Madden :T

Comment

• bgymr
              • Dec 2014

The unit is hooked up to speakers right now. In stereo. And man, that thing puts out some serious sound in that mode.
              From reading the manual I need to hook it up to a TV to do teh factory reset. At least that is what I think "on screen display" means. I just got a hold of a R232 cable so I can upgrade the firmware. And I have a Harmony remote.

I'm kind of hoping he lets me do all this before I purchase it.

Originally posted by Kevin D
              The later units (1067) are know for blowing DSP boards. The symptoms are that no processing works, but the multi-channel inputs and stereo-bypass (pure analog) works fine.

I don't think the 1065 actually had a stereo-bypass settings, but who knows how the seller is 'proving' it works in stereo. It could just be the mutli-channel inputs. It could be the center/rears are disabled in the menu and he doesn't have/understand the remote.....but chances are the DSP board is fried and I would pass. You could get a working RSX-1067 for what a replacement board costs.

Kevin D.

Comment

• wkhanna
                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Kevin D
                The later units (1067) are know for blowing DSP boards.
                Kevin D.
                Thanks, Kevin.
                I forgot about the issue with the boards.
                _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• madmac
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2010

The unit is hooked up to speakers right now. In stereo. And man, that thing puts out some serious sound in that mode.
                  From reading the manual I need to hook it up to a TV to do teh factory reset. At least that is what I think "on screen display" means. I just got a hold of a R232 cable so I can upgrade the firmware. And I have a Harmony remote.

I'm kind of hoping he lets me do all this before I purchase it.
                  You need to hook it up to a TV to do the speaker and surround sound set up as well. The complete setup is done using the remote control. Before doing this, I would strongly suggest that you read the manual on how to do it.

Comment

• bgymr
                    • Dec 2014

Ok, so the guy let me bring it home and try it out. Awesome!

As he promised it plays stereo and sounds amazing! Amazing on my paradigm monitor 9s. Like he said surround does not work.

I looked at the firmware and its 1.6.1. When i go to the rotel website it does not have this version on the "choose your current version".

Also, the manual says that the only way to see the onscreen menu is to hook up the digital coaxial video. But my tv does not accept this. Any ideas? I would like to do a factory reset. I have it hooked up to my harmony.

Help!

Comment

• bgymr
                      • Dec 2014

OK update:

I managed to do a factory reset by just looking at the manual while I toggle in the menu without the onscreen menu. The unit cycled off. The sound changed so I know it reset. However, the speakers still don't work. I think the board is fried.

Any other ideas?

Comment

• madmac
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2010

OK update:

I managed to do a factory reset by just looking at the manual while I toggle in the menu without the onscreen menu. The unit cycled off. The sound changed so I know it reset. However, the speakers still don't work. I think the board is fried.

Any other ideas?
                        As mentioned above, I still strongly recommend that you find a way to get the on-screen menu on a monitor to verify that you are telling the unit that you have center and surround speakers. If you do that and still do not get center and surround performance, then yes, I would suspect the the DSP board is fried. It is fixable but it will cost you $300+ to send it to Rotel for repair. You'll also have to do without the Amp for a minimum of 1 month while they repair it.

Comment

• mjb
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

Yep, check the speaker configuration is correct before springing for the repair.
                          - Mike

Main System:
                          B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                          Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Kevin D
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Oct 2002

Most TV's should still have at least one composite input, unless you're in Europe and dealing with a SCART connection. Svideo should display the menu as well if you have that.

The 1.61 software is the latest for the newer units running 1.5x software.

Kevin D.

Comment

• madmac
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2010

Another thing about these units is this. Even if the unit is set up for 2 'large' speakers only, if you play it in anything other than 'stereo bypass', you are going through it's DSP processing. Take it out of stereo bypass and choose 2ch stereo and if it still plays, you are indeed going through DSP processing on the unit, and therefore the DSP board is operational. At that point, I would seriously make an effort to get the menus on-screen and properly set up. Chances are once set up, your center and surrounds will work.

Comment

• bgymr
                                • Dec 2014

So this may be a totally stupid question...but I'll ask it anyway.

What is labeled on the back of the unit "digital output coaxial" for the monitor out....is that the yellow rca jack on my tv? Is it that simple?

Because the manual says that it will not output the menu on the component monitor out.

Comment

• mjb
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Mar 2005

Monitor Out: either via composite video (yellow phono), or s-video.

- Mike

Main System:
                                  B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                                  Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• madmac
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2010

Originally posted by mjb
                                    Monitor Out: either via composite video (yellow phono), or s-video.

Exactly correct !

Comment

• thyname
                                      • Jan 2005

I just got the RSX-1065 for $175, to use in a two channel setup with a pair of ELAC Uni-Fi UB5 speakers and no subwoofer.

Hooked up Bluesound Node 2 on CD inputs (analog) and sounds great. A had a couple of questions and was wondering if somebody can help. It's been a while since I had my last Rotels:

1 - Is there a second input for analog two-channel source? I just got an OPPO 203 that would like to use for CD playback. But other than "tape" input, I don't see any other analog two-channel inputs (CD input is taken by Node 2)

2 - Are the DACs on this any good for two-channel stereo? In other words, if I hook up my OPPO with an optical digital cable thus letting the Rotel DACs to the conversion from digital to analog, would I be better off than using analog from Oppo?

3 - Any additional insights that you guys may have for me?

Thank you so much!

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"