X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kendrid
    • Dec 2002

First impressions - RSX-1055

I picked up my silver 1055 about 6 hours ago. It dosen't fit inside of my entertainment center (a bit too deep), so I only have some of my system hooked up right now.

Music, which is what I am most concerned about, sounds wonderful. It is as good as my 2 channel Rotel 970 preamp. The soundstage is tight and well defined.

HT/TV: I watched tonights NBA playoff game in HD on DirecTV channel 198. I have a Hugehes E86 HD receiver hooked up via toslink. When switching between 198 and HDNet, I hear a pop in my speakers. I have read many posts here about it. Unfortunatly it is happening for me.

When I switch between 'normal' channels on the receiver, it is fine. It is only on the DD channels that I hear the pop. Once the channel is locked on, everything is fine.

The 1055 locks onto my CD signal (toslink) instantly. My DVD signal (via optical) was almost always instant. There were a few 2 second delays when switching chapters, but not many.

My grips:
    The popping. I used to have a Denon 3802. My first one popped like the 1055. I returned it and the new one I got was fine. From reading the posts here I'm not sure if a new 1055 will stop popping. I read on a thread here that if the signal isn't 'perfect' the system should try to mute the volume. The 1055 is definetly trying to mute the volume when I change DD channels on the E86. It just dosen't mute fast enough to stop the pop.

Only 2 toslink connections...how about 3 or 4? I just ordered a toslink->coax converter for $25. I have 3 toslink devices and 1 coax device.

What I like: stereo music, and what I have heard of DD and PLII so far. Definetly a huge step above my old Denon 3802.

I definetely like the unit. If it didn't make the occasional popping noise I would love it. I don't watch HDTV much right now, but in the future the pop could become an issue. I tried swapping toslink cables but it didn't help. When I receive my toslink->coax converter I will try it on the E86 and see if coax is better.

------
    Kevin
    ------
    Kevin
  • Scarp
    • Mar 2003

Theorectically coax is the better way to go. Also most good equipment with digital outputs have Coax, only older equipment usually have only optical.

Comment

• Mike Hayes
      • Mar 2003

Kendrid, if you're not 100% satisfied, just take the unit back and get another. You may have to wait a week for another unit but why settle for less than 100% satisfaction when you're making a considerable investment in your system, an investment you may have to live with for a number of years? Just get another one. My .02

Comment

• kendrid
        • Dec 2002

I got everything hooked up this morning. My DirecTiVo via optical is silent, as is my CD player and everything but my E86 HD receiver.

I am going to see if my dealer has a floor model E86 in stock. If so, I am going to try it and see if the popping still occurs.

Otherwise I will trade it in for a new unit. If #2 is bad it might be something about my E86 and Rotel. That really sucks, as a 'cheap' Denon could decode the signal fine.

The unit is great besides that one problem. TV and DVDs sound great. Music is what I want from an 'all-in-one' unit. And my wife likes the looks of it, which is a plus.

------
        Kevin
        ------
        Kevin

Comment

• Danbry39
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Sep 2002

Nice review. That Rotel shines in two channel is much more important to me than pops. Nonetheless, little aggravations tend to build up to big annoyances over time. It's almost like static. In and of itself, one little shock isn't bothersome, but, if it occurs over and over, you soon cringe over touching anything in anticipation of the shock. Consequently, I have to agree with Mike. Exchange the unit or contact Rotel to see what can be done. Not all owners, myself included, experience this problem, so you hopefully will be able to get a unit that functions to your satisfaction.

And, your wife is right, the Rotel looks a heck of a lot better than the Denon.

Keith
          Keith

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

Ok I had a really nice reply for this, but it seems the ESC key will erase everything you type without warning.. So no one will see my witty reply to this thread.. :evil:

Kevin D.

Comment

• kendrid
              • Dec 2002

I highly recommend copying everything you type before trying to post a reply. I have also lost a few and just gave up...

I watched Forrest Gump in HD on ABC tonight. It didn't pop once during the entire movie. Change the channel and it popped.

My DVD player (coaxial) and cd player (toslink) are still fine.

I am curious if this could happen just on the toslink inputs. Does anyone have it happen on the coax input? Tomorrow I am going to goto RadioShack to pick up a toslink->coax converter. I have on ordered online, but I am too curious to see if it fixes the problem so I am going to buy one (assuming they stock them).

After the movie I enjoyed an hour of beautiful music.

------
              Kevin
              ------
              Kevin

Comment

• kendrid
                • Dec 2002

I purchased a toslink->coax converter today. My HD receiver still pops, so it isn't coax vs toslink. I will call my dealer tomorrow.

------
                Kevin
                ------
                Kevin

Comment

• stereo.frog
                  • Jan 2003

Keep us posted on this issue. I for one am interested in the outcome. Thanks.

Comment

• kendrid
                    • Dec 2002

My dealer is swapping it for me (as expected). I should have the new unit in a week (maybe Friday). I'll post how the new one works out.

------
                    Kevin
                    ------
                    Kevin

Comment

• vfrjim
                      • Apr 2003

I would like to know the outcome, my 1066 pops like a bastage with my E86 when the unit locks onto or switches from Dolby Digital on my HD channels, I feed the 1066 with my HiPix card and no popping. I resorted to feeding the 1066 with both analog and digital and use the digital when I know that there is a DD signal present because the processor in the 1066 works great with a stereo input from my E86 and sounds just as good, but no popping.

Jim

Comment

• kendrid
                        • Dec 2002

I am going to return my toslink->coax converter today or tomorrow. I am thinking about getting a toslink amplifier. I once read on a HTPC forum about receivers popping with digital signals from some cards. I beleive an inline amplifier fixed the issue for some people. It is worth a try.

------
                        Kevin
                        ------
                        Kevin

Comment

• kendrid
                          • Dec 2002

Here are some threads relating to this issue that are for other brands:

------
                          Kevin
                          ------
                          Kevin

Comment

• kendrid
                            • Dec 2002

The inline amp didn't fix anything.

My dealer asked me to reset the unit, which did nothing. He is calling Rotel tomorrow and is supposed to get back to me.

Something I find annoying: I told him about this site and he cut me off. He didn't care at all. I wish dealers would start to look on the net to know what is going on and what problems their customers might encounter.

------
                            Kevin
                            ------
                            Kevin

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

Have you tried emailing Rotels tech support? Both mike sheehan and tim wyatt are excellent to deal with and I believe their email addresses are on the rotel site

Comment

• kendrid
                                • Dec 2002

I emailed techsupport@rotel.com tonight. I explained the problem in detail with my equipment, etc. Hopefully I'll have a new unit soon and it will work, but even so I'd hope they can put this issue to a close as the '1066 pops' thread has been around for a while and it dosen't seem like the issue was ever resolved..

------
                                Kevin
                                ------
                                Kevin

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

I'm not sure who that will go to but here's Mike Sheehan's email address Msheehan@equityaudio.com

Comment

• kendrid
                                    • Dec 2002

Tim emailed me this morning. I called and spoke to someone else in tech support (didn't get his name and should have). He said they want to work through the dealer to see if they can determine what is causing the problem, and 'check with the factory about this issue.'

He was very friendly and said that they would determine what the issue is. He also wasn't in any rush to get me off of the phone, which is nice considering the 'support' you often get on the phone from other companies.

My dealer is supposed to call me today. Hopefully it is to tell me my replacement is on the way.

------
                                    Kevin
                                    ------
                                    Kevin

Comment

• kendrid
                                      • Dec 2002

Rotel suggested setting each speaker level at -5. For a member at hometheaterforum this worked. It didn't work for me.

They are replacing the unit.
                                      ------
                                      Kevin

Comment

• vfrjim
                                        • Apr 2003

Tried the -5 setting, but it still pops, I kinda doubt that replacing the unit will help since many people have this problem, but please report back after you get your new unit.

Thanks,

Jim

Comment

• kendrid
                                          • Dec 2002

Someone at hometheaterforum.com just said his 1066 didn't pop with his E86, but the E86 does pop with a B&K 307. There is hope, although very little.

I just spent 4 hours with the 1055 - 2.5 watching a DVD and 1.5 listening to DVD-A and CDs. I really like the unit. There just has to be one damn thing that doesn't make it perfect.

------
                                          Kevin
                                          ------
                                          Kevin

Comment

• Mike Hayes
                                            • Mar 2003

Kendrid,

I have a couple of questions:

1. Will you stick with the 1055 even if you can't solve the popping problem or go to another receiver without this problem?
                                            2. Are you worried about damaging your speakers?

3. It sounds like you are about 95% satisfied but is that 5% enough to make you give up on the 1055?

Comment

• kendrid
                                              • Dec 2002

2. Are you worried about damaging your speakers?
                                              The pop isn't terribly loud, but it is very noticable (my wife who dosen't care about HT/Audio at all said it was annoying her).

Last night I watched a DVD at decent levels. I backed off the volume for a while until I could tell that my DVD player wouldn't cause the popping.

I think the volume would have to be at very high levels to hurt the speakers.

1. Will you stick with the 1055 even if you can't solve the popping problem or go to another receiver without this problem?
                                              3. It sounds like you are about 95% satisfied but is that 5% enough to make you give up on the 1055?
                                              I am undecided. In general I like Rotel gear (I have owned many of their amps). I'm not sure what I would go with if I did return it. I only have 2 channels of amplfication (Rotel 1070), so sticking with a receiver as a prepro is needed (can't spend any more $ right now). I could sell my 1070 and buy a Rotel 985MKII for $500 and an Outlaw 990 preamp, but the Outlaw has issues of it's own. NAD is another consideration, but from what I have read their new HT receivers also have issues.

If this issue isn't resolved and I keep the unit, I will probably use the analog outputs of my DirecTiVo, since most shows (except HBO) are PLII. For my HD receiver I would just have to live with the pops.

------
                                              Kevin
                                              ------
                                              Kevin

Comment

• Neal_C
                                                • Feb 2003

I am the one that replied at HTF and managed to have some success with setting the levels at -5. I have been doing alot of recording with the wife out of town, so I haven't been watching much since I made the change. It did work initially, but sounds like I just may have been lucky. I guess time will tell.

In any case, the popping issue was annoying at times, but was/is in no way enough of a problem for me to return the unit. For its price and performance, I just don't think it can be beat.

Would I like to see a solution to the popping problem? Sure I would. And at some point, I'm sure something will be done with firmware or whatever to help control the issue.

Until then, I guess I will just hope my luck with the workaround continues.

Neal

Comment

• sndtowne
                                                  • Jan 2003

My RSX-1055 does make a very slight popping noise, but there is nothing out there I would rather have for the price.

I read somewhere that NAD (a couple of years ago) had sold out to Onkyo. Anyone have any information on that?

Bruce
                                                  Bruce

Comment

• Mike Hayes
                                                    • Mar 2003

Kendrid,

Do you have anything new to report on this? I've been following this thread with interest as I am still going back and forth on the 1055 or 1075.

Comment

• kendrid
                                                      • Dec 2002

My new 1055 arrived at the dealer yesterday. I am picking it up tonight. I will let you know what happens late tonight or tomorrow.

I am very happy with the unit. It sounds great. As long as my DirecTiVo stops popping during the middle of shows I'll be happy. I can live with my HD tuner popping between channel changes, as I'll be getting rid of it once HD cable is in my area.

------
                                                      Kevin
                                                      ------
                                                      Kevin

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Aug 2000

Rotel's trying to duplicate this problem at the factory to try to come up with a solution but as of yet they haven't been able to duplicate the problem.

Comment

• kendrid
                                                          • Dec 2002

I wonder if they have a Hughes E86 HD receiver to test with. It is always does it when changing channels from DD to PLII (or PCM). HDNET to a 'normal' channel always pops.

In contrast, my DirecTiVo does NOT pop when changing channels from DD to PLII (say a movie in DD on HBO to a PLII show on ABC), but it pops in the middle of shows. I can rewind the show on my TiVo and the pop will always occur in the same spot, so it most likely has something to do with the digital stream.

I can see how this will be difficult to duplicate. Hopefully they eventually find it and can get a fix out. Better yet, maybe my new unit will be fine.

------
                                                          Kevin
                                                          ------
                                                          Kevin

Comment

• kendrid
                                                            • Dec 2002

New unit, OLDER firmware, and the popping is worse. The firmware is 2x something, but the rec out is displaying on the screen (quite annoying).

The pops are much more frequent now with my HD receiver. I didn't get to try my DirecTiVo much yet.

I will call my dealer to let them know. I think I will see if they can update the firmware to see if the problem lessens. I could do it, but I don't have time to make a cable right now.

Very disappointing. Here is an interesting thread from a long time ago:
                                                            Read the reply. The guy might not be correct, but it is my problem.

So I guess it could be an incompatibility of the Hughes DTV receiver (and once in a while DTiVo) and 1055.

------
                                                            Kevin
                                                            ------
                                                            Kevin

Comment

• vfrjim
                                                              • Apr 2003

Seems like the temporary fix would be for Rotel to change the Firmware so that there is a delay when it senses a change in signal so that the pop would be muted out during the delay. I know people would get upset because they would miss a second or so of audio during a signal change, but the pop would be gone.

Jim

Comment

• kendrid
                                                                • Dec 2002

There already is a delay. The pop occurs before the delay begins. If they had a way to delay quicker it might fix the problem.

I believe I am hearing more popping now because this firmware isn't muting as long as the newer one does. At least that is what seems to be happening. After I get my unit upgraded I will see if the mute is longer.

Edit: I was just looking at the packaging that came with my first 1055 (i kept the remote, etc and just swapped receivers). I have a PC->1055 cable. It came with the unit. I didn't look at the antenna, etc so I didn't notice it. They must be shipping them for free with the new units.

So, I will update my unit tonight and see what happens.

------
                                                                Kevin
                                                                ------
                                                                Kevin

Comment

• vfrjim
                                                                  • Apr 2003

I Plugged the E86 into my toslink/coax switcher that I have and noticed less noise because of the delay, just an observation.

Jim

Comment

• kendrid
                                                                    • Dec 2002

I upgraded my software on my 'old' unit today. The popping was much less prevalent with the new software.

Then I plugged my HD receiver into my toslink->coax converter. I did this with the previous unit and it didn't help. Well, this time it seems to help a little. We watched a few shows in HD on NBC tonight and during commercials I would switch stations. It didn't pop. HDNet->PLII still popped a little, but it was very quiet. HBO->PLII is the same.

I will do more testing later in the weekend. I'll be happy with an occasional quiet pop during channel changes.

It does seem like the software helped out a little. Hopefully with another software update they can close this issue.

------
                                                                    Kevin
                                                                    ------
                                                                    Kevin

Comment

• kendrid
                                                                      • Dec 2002

Saturday the popping 'came back' and it was fairly loud again. I am going to rip apart my system and put it together piece-by-piece.

------
                                                                      Kevin
                                                                      ------
                                                                      Kevin

Comment

• Mike Hayes
                                                                        • Mar 2003

Kevin,

Sorry to hear that the problem still persists, it sounds like a nightmare. My Rotel dealer told me that Rotel will be revamping their receiver line next year. I know this doesn't help now but just thought I would throw it out there for your consideration.

Comment

• kendrid
                                                                          Member
                                                                          • Dec 2002

That is interesting (new receivers) because the 1055 isn't very old. Who knows what they have planned...

I am considering 'throwing in the towel' and going back to a 2 channel and HT system. I still have my 2 channel Rotel preamp/amp. I'd return my 1055 and get one of the more recent 'good' HT receivers (probably an Elite VSX-45TX). I don't want the complexity of 2 systems/1 pair of speakers, but I might to back to it. A bonus of that route is the 45TX can be purchased for $800, which leaves me $450 to add somewhere else in my system (CD player..).

I'm not going to make that decision until I can see if we can elimitate the pops.

------
                                                                          Kevin
                                                                          ------
                                                                          Kevin

Comment

• kendrid
                                                                            Member
                                                                            • Dec 2002
                                                                            • 54

The latest update:

I called my dealer to tell him this new unit is popping. He stated 'it is not the unit then - it is your satellite receiver'. I have problems with that statement, as my Denon 3802 is fine.

I am bringing my 1055 and HD receiver to them Wednesday night so they can hear it for themselves. If it does pop, we will try another brand of receiver and see if it pops or not.

I have not tore apart my system yet but I will do it tonight. It could be something in my setup, but with all of the people with this problem that isn't likely.

If the unit pops in their store and at my house after undoing everything, I am planning on going back to a HT and 2 channel setup. I'll need a new HT receiver.

------
                                                                            Kevin
                                                                            ------
                                                                            Kevin

Comment

• Kevin D
                                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                                              • Oct 2002
                                                                              • 4601

#39
                                                                              Unfortunately, just because something happens on the 1055 and not on the Denon does not make the Denon 'right'.

I'm not saying that it isn't Rotel's problem, but I know of a lot of DVD's that don't work correctly on Panasonic players (even one's costing $500+) but play fine on $50 players.

Problem is that the DVD designers are lax on their implementation of DVD 'spec' and the $50 DVD player is lax on their implementation. Together somehow they work, but on a Panny player that is designed to the exact standards it messes up.

I guess I'm just saying it COULD be the Sat's problem and still work fine on the Denon..

Hope you get it worked out.

Kevin D.

Comment

• kendrid
                                                                                Member
                                                                                • Dec 2002
                                                                                • 54

#40
                                                                                I do agree with you. Maybe Rotel adheres to the digital spec exactly, where the Denon is a bit 'loose' so they accept more 'garbage' from the receiver.

Even if it isn't Rotel's fault, there are a number of users with popping, and I don't think they all have the same receiver I have. That is a lot of manufacturers not following the spec.

Tonight I did my best to QA the unit. I moved it to another room with only my satellite receiver hooked up. With analog cables the unit is silent. With the digital it pops no matter what I hook up or disconnect.

I also tried my DVD player. I have only watched one movie on it so far. The opening menu for the Matrix made my unit pop, although it was much quieter than the satellite receiver. Now I have 2 satellite receivers and my DVD player that will pop. The DVD player is fine during a movie, but the fact that it can pop leads me to believe that something in the Rotel's processor isn't quite right. I'm not saying that is what it is, but 0-3 isn't good.

As I metioned before, with my DirecTiVo I can rewind after it pops and it will always pop at the same location. This obviously is something in the digital stream. Maybe Denon's 'cheap' processor just skips over the missing data and dosen't care.

Hopefully I will put this to rest Wednesday night at my dealer. I don't have time to deal with trying more units. It really sucks, because this unit sounds incredible. I am disappointed.

I might be able to borrow a friends new Elite 45TX tomorrow. I hope I can as I want to hear that unit, plus I want to know if it will pop or not.

------
                                                                                Kevin
                                                                                ------
                                                                                Kevin

Comment

• kendrid
                                                                                  Member
                                                                                  • Dec 2002
                                                                                  • 54

#41
                                                                                  Update: Tim from Rotel called me today. He asked a lot of questions about my setup and went over a few things for me to try. He was very nice and professional. He said this isn't a wide-spread epidemic, as they haven't heard from a lot of people. I gave him more specific information so hopefully they can produce it in-house. He said they have DirecTV HD receivers in house and they haven't heard it yet. If it happens at my dealer tomorrow night, I will offer sending my E86 to Rotel so they can test it.

One 'problem' I encounter occasionally that he mentioned was the unit switching from PLII to PCM when changing channels. Mine will do this once in a while. I never thought much of it - figured it was the stream from the satellite. He said it is a bug they are trying to track down.

------
                                                                                  Kevin
                                                                                  ------
                                                                                  Kevin

Comment

Working...
                                                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                  Search Result for "|||"