X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jk@home
    • Oct 2003

Using digital outputs on the RSX-1055

Has anyone here had any experience using the digital outputs of this receiver? The manual states any digital input selected will be outputted on both coax and toslink output connections. I am assuming this is a full strength non-attenuated signal?

My 1055 feeds (bypass) into a multi-channel / multi-input analog preamp. I planned on adding a "digital EQ loop" into the same preamp (DVD to Monarchy DIP 24/96 to Behringer Ultracurve8024 to separate DAC to analog preamp).

I am already feeding a coax digital cable from DVD to Rotel. If I daisy chain the digital output of the Rotel into the DIP, then I can EQ any digital music feed going into the receiver, (basically which right now is DVD, CD plus music choice from my cable box). I will be using a glass toslink from the Rotel to DIP, and AES/EBU digital after that.

Thanks
    John
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

JK@Home,

The digital outputs should work fine - but be aware they will only cary a clone signal of any input digital signal from the CD, DVD etc.. The Rotels for not convert Analog Sources and send them to the digital outputs (unlike some other processors).

Also - once sent to the external processor you wont be able to use that again as an input to the Rotel - essentially you need to select the source digital input for it to be cloned to the output... So you will need to do something else with the output of your external processor!

Geoff

Comment

• jk@home
      • Oct 2003

Thanks Geoff

A "cloned" digital signal is what I am looking for, 16/44.1 from CDs, 24/48 from cable's "music choice" programming. Basically using the Rotel as a digital switcher. Later on I may add a Monarchy upsampler DIP, (24/96) but the Behringer is only rated for 24/48, so that would have to be upgraded also. I just need to make sure no compressed DD/DTS signal is sent unprocessed to my outboard DAC (see below).

In reading the Rotel manual, I am under the impression that the unit does convert coaxial to toslink and visa versa (but not analog to digital) outputting both to the digital outs. My DVD player feeds the Rotel via coaxial, and I will be using a glass toslink on the output. I will find out soon enough if that is the case.

As far as your second comment, I use the Rotel receiver for movies and FM playback. I have a Sony TAP900ES multichannel preamp as my "audiophile" preamp. A Sony DVD/SACD player's analog outputs go to an ICBM, then to one of the 5.1 gain controlled inputs of the TAP. The Rotel 5.1 analog outputs go to the TAP's bypass 5.1 inputs. I will be sending the outboard DAC's analog signal to the other gain controlled inputs of the TAP.

As good as the sound of the Rotel is, audio playback using the analog preamp is much better.

John

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2003

Jk@Home,

In reading the Rotel manual, I am under the impression that the unit does convert coaxial to toslink and visa versa (but not analog to digital) outputting both to the digital outs.
        Your impression is correct!

Good luck with your set-up...

PS - Most people (like you) find that a quality stereo pre-amp will beat the Rotels (and 99% of other HT processors and recievers) for pure stereo sound...

Geoff

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"