X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shockabuku
    • Jul 2004

It's all your fault!

Well, thanks to the advice of the fine people on this forum, I have finally made a decision, blown the budget completely & ordered a 1068 processor & 1075 power amp. After listening to a Denon 3805, Arcam AVR300, Rotel 1056, Pioneer AX5i & Rotel 1068, the latter definitely sounded the best to me, with the Rotel 1056 in 2nd place :B. Thanks for the help & stand by for a heap of n00b questions when the kit arrives. :T
    Mark G.
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

You're most welcome :B

Welcome to Club Rotel:T

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2003

Welcome to our world

Shockabuku,

... the latter definitely sounded the best to me
      And aint that what counts...

Glad you took the time to listen comparatively - It's the only way to be sure...

Enjoy your new system - and welcome to our world..

Geoff

Comment

• Azeke
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2003

Congratulations and welcome to the Club.

You have chosen wisely 8) , keep up posted.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Yay another member of the cult...errr... club :B Congrats! :T

Jason
          Jason

Comment

• nyny
            • Jul 2004

Shockabuku, congrats on the new system. I have made the same upgrade recently, and I can tell you that I am enjoying my new system a lot more than my old receiver.

Remember to post a pic or two of your system when you have them set up :T
            Tony

Comment

• Shockabuku
              • Jul 2004

Cheers everyone. I can't wait to get my mitts on the new kit & Silver Coax cable from Doug. The kit will be...yikes...sitting on the floor for a while until the budget can handle a new av rack....but I'll be sure to take a picture of them warming up the carpet!
              Mark G.

Comment

• Azeke
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2003

Watch out for Carpet Fibers.

Azeke

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

If funds are tight for a rack do a search for "flexi rack" in google and you'll find a fairly cheap alternative that works nicely and can be made to look pretty sharp

Comment

• Shockabuku
                    • Jul 2004

Hrmm looks interesting thanks. Wonder how much my local glass shop would do a few thick glass shelves for....hrmmmm...
                    Mark G.

Comment

• Pez
                      • May 2004

You could probably get some glass shelves for around $15 each. However, if you have to replace a glass shelf from an expensive av rack look out, that wont be as cheap (my cat broke a shelf from my new rack - he is quickly running through his 9 lives).

Comment

• ajpoe
                        • Jul 2004

if you are at all handy, just build your own rack. i built mine. draw it up on paper... i took the measurements from a sanus rack i liked. here's the cool part, if you go to somewhere like home depot with your measurements, they will cut the whole darn thing for you. all you have to do is screw it all together and stain it. i threw some baseboard edging on the front to clean it up and give a nice rounded look at the edges. the materials cost me $78 total.

ajpoe
                        Attached Files
                        AJPoe - - Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

I'd use plexiglass over true glass but it would be cheaper to do wood...though the glass would look good:T

Comment

• DelRay
                            • Jun 2004

Nice to have another 1068/1075 owner around Enjoy your new gear.

Comment

• Shockabuku
                              • Jul 2004

Wow that's a nice looking rack. I'm officially in "research" mode. I'll be needing a full av rack to take the TV as well as the components, so it'll be a monster! The tricky bit will be getting something that the girlfriend will accept in our new living room. She's already asked if I could use marble shelves :E
                              Mark G.

Comment

• tombowlus
                                • Feb 2004

A friend of mine recently requested my assistance in putting together a 2-channel/HT system on a budget. I am an RSP-1066 owner (still contemplating the 1068), and a big fan of separates, but our budget dictated that we go the receiver route. My very first comment to him was that he definitely wanted to base his system around a Rotel receiver, but for the sake of doing a thorough job, I researched numerous other receivers, and then he and I auditioned a number of them. Not surprisingly, the primary competition to the 1056 ended up being the Denon 3805. Having read so many rants about the 3805 (and respecting Denon gear in general), I expected it to be a close match, narrowly won by the 1056. Boy, were we both surprised at the hugely audible difference and superiority (in 2-channel) of the Rotel! I had predicted to my friend that the 1056 would be a better 2-channel performer, and would have a more natural, and accurate sound to it. Needless to say, the 1056 made me sound prophetic! My buddy looked at me with a big smile that let me know immediately that he agreed.

Without even hearing its bigger brother, the 1056 really made me see that an HT receiver can be the foundation for a very respectable 2-channel setup as well. We did most of the comparison between the Denon and the Rotel with NHT ST-4's, and I must say those are some fantastic speakers that paired up very well with the Rotel. However, ultimately he ended up getting a pair of Totem Arro's (which sounded better in some regards than the NHT's, but couldn't quite match them in other regards, but which were very high on the WAF scale) and Totem Dreamcatcher center and surrounds. Oh, and he also got a killer deal on a Velodyne SPL 1000.

My guess is that you will see my friend pop up here at Club Rotel fairly soon! :T

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

Another one joins the collective :assimilate:

Comment

• aud19
                                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2003

Another Rotelian! :lol: I'm a fan of Totems as well nice on those :T

Jason
                                    Jason

Comment

• GosonFletchy
                                      • May 2004

Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated! :assimilate:

Welcome to the club. :welcome:

G

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"