X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kirby
    • Oct 2004

1056 to 1068/1075 combo worth it?

As you probably know from my other posts I have been a little peeved with my 1056 due to a snapping sound from my speakers and the video upconversion. While I have had problems, I can't live without the nice Rotel sound. I am going to return my 1056 for either a new 1056 or upgrade but it is a little outside of my budget for the upgrade. Has anybody gone from the 1056 to the 1068/1075 combo and is it worth it? I have been told the hiss coming from the speakers is a little less with the separates. Is this true? Is the sound that much better with the separates? Thanks for you help. This is a great forum.
  • gianni
    • Nov 2002

Originally posted by Kirby
    As you probably know from my other posts I have been a little peeved with my 1056 due to a snapping sound from my speakers and the video upconversion. While I have had problems, I can't live without the nice Rotel sound. I am going to return my 1056 for either a new 1056 or upgrade but it is a little outside of my budget for the upgrade. Has anybody gone from the 1056 to the 1068/1075 combo and is it worth it? I have been told the hiss coming from the speakers is a little less with the separates. Is this true? Is the sound that much better with the separates? Thanks for you help. This is a great forum.
    Whether or not you will hear a difference depends on your sytem, your room, the setup, and what you listen to. The only way to tell for sure if the improvement will be significant is to demo the new pre/pro and amp in your system at home. Many dealers will let you do this and it is worth the effort.

Comment

• scient
      • Feb 2005

Hey Kirby,
      I have the exact same problem with my 1056. It new and it crackles! It's very disconcerting especially when a loud pop erupts inbetween a peaceful movie scene. I am thiking of gettting the RMB-1075 as well but not the RSP-1068 (yet). Probably get either a cheap receiver or another processor as a temp unit. The 1068 and 1075 work out too expensive and I did not expect to send so much on it. Let me know what you do with yours.

Comment

• basementjack
        • Dec 2004

I have a 1056 and 1075, I love the combo, but I still get occasional pops - I believe they are coming from the digital board on the 1056.

I intentionally bought the 1056 as a preamp to save $$, get the tuner, and have the ability to use the extra channels for zone 2.

Your 1056 definatly has to be returned.

If you think you can get a good 1056, I'd say just have it replaced.
        If you want to upgrade, look at the 1067 which is absolultely fantastic.
        or for the same price a 1056-1075 combo.

Aside from the 1056's popping problems that everyone is having, I'm very happy with it. I also believe the sound has changed for the better with break in, and I usually think of break in as an absolute scam.

I do not hear any noise. not at low volumes, not at high volumes. I connect My CD player digitally for what that is worth - maybe there's more noise on the analog ins.

I drive Paradigm studio 60s which are around 90db/1watt efficient in a fairly quiet room.

I suspect people complaining of noise must have more efficeint speakers than I do.

Comment

• scient
          • Feb 2005

basementjack2 do you have to turn the volume up to 55-60 to get fairly decent volume?

I am driving Studio 100's and the Rotel seems a bit weak Don't know if it has anything to do with the cracking problem.

Comment

• scient
            • Feb 2005

Talk to Rotel. They said they know about this problem (its a manufacturing defect, bad resistor) and they are replacing mine with a new unit.

Comment

• basementjack
              • Dec 2004

Scient, volume is source dependent.

Tuner: usually 45
              Cd: 50-80(80 is cranking so loud I get nervous for my ears)
              (note with CD, this is Coax in, 2ch pcm, and at all volumes, the music sounds great without any kind of breakup)

DVD: 72
              Just played Starwars episode 1 today, was surprised that at 70 it didn't really seem that loud.

The think I've noticed with DD and DTS movies, is they seem to have extremes, you sometimes have to crank up the movie to hear the soft scenes, yet when the action heats up it's sometimes too loud.

You hardly ever want to think about cutting down the dynamic range, but with some movies, I suspect that's what's needed to make the soft parts a little louder so you don't have to crank the volume so much.

- Jack

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"