X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sithlord10
    • Apr 2003

Getting DD from laser disc player through 1098

I decided to pull out my brothers Star Wars Special Editions laser discs to watch and connected the laser disc player into the 1098 using the coax ( Digital out coax from player into coax in on the 1098) changing the input in the menu accordingly. I do not get any sound but if I connect using optical I get sound but only Dobly Pro-logic not digital. I had the laser disc player modded to support DD but it's only available through a coax connection. My old Denon AVCA1 had a dedicated DD RCA in but the 1098 does not. How do I get DD using the laser dics player? Any help would be appreciated.

PS. I know I should just wait until the DVD release but I felt the need to watch some classic Sci-Fi. 8)
    Last edited by Sithlord10; 23 July 2004, 04:44 Friday.
  • Locutus2k
    • May 2004

You have to get an AC-3 externale decoder and connect it to the analog inputs of the 1098. You can find many of them on ebay.
    Good luck,

Luigi

Comment

• Sithlord10
      • Apr 2003

Thanks for the reply. Well that is just pointless then, I might as well spend the money on the dvds when they arrive. Oh well the life of the laser disc is denfinatley over :#

Comment

• eelco74
        • Dec 2002

You do not need an external AC-3 decoder, you need a Coax RF converter.

The Denon did have a RF Lasedics compatible Coax input. The Rotel has not.

But you are right in wainting for the DVD box. It is cheaper.... :-)
        Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
        Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
        Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2003

sithlord,

Yamaha used to make a RF Coax Demodulator that took the Laser Disk RF AC-3 signal and converted it to a SPDIF Dolby Digital format. They were under $200 to buy.. I have friends that bought them as recently as last year becuase they had such a large collection of Laser Disks... So you may still be able get one new. Pioneer made them as well - but I hear that they stopped about 3 years ago...

I have seen them second hand for $50 or less as people are virtually throwing out their Laser Disk players for little $... due to lack of new material to play...

Geoff

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

It would be interesting though to see just how much of a difference there really is now between DD or PLIIx from an LD...I'd guess that for the most part the differences might not be that great...and likely not enough to warrent the cost of a demodulator....esp with the SW trilogy coming out on dvd soon anyway.

Comment

• Sithlord10
              • Apr 2003

Yep I figured as much. I knew I wasn't connecting things incorrectly and there had to be a solution. Between my brother and I we have an extensive laser disc collection and some of them especially the DTS ones sound better than the DTS dvds out there although dvds are catching up.Thanks to everyone for their input. :T

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Ah DTS is a different story..you will get DTS from LD's with the regular digital out on an LD player w/o the need for a converter and you're right some of those DTS LD's are VERY impressive due to the uncompressed nature of LD's:yesnod:

Comment

• Sithlord10
                  • Apr 2003

Yep those were the days. I didn't hesitate in spending $80 to $100 on a laser disc especially if it was in DTS. I think it was the presentation and layout of the foldout covers that was most appealing made you think you were getting your moneys worth. Thanks for the feedback guys I will just have to accept that laser discs are no longer. :cry:

Comment

• apotts
                    • Jan 2004

I use a Yamaha APD-1, and although the PL2 is excellent from a good LD player, DD is still better.

One on ebay here.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"