X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stkelly
    • Apr 2003

RSP-1066 or RSX-1055?

I'm trying to figure out what to do with my system and was hoping to get some assistance from you pros. I've been slowly upgrading my system as I've gained funds. The next item that I'm looking to replace is my HK AVR510. Here's my question. Is there any difference in sound quality between a 1066 and a 1055 being used solely as a pre/pro (using a Parasound 855A as an amp)? The reason I ask is the 1066 is $300 more and does not include a tuner. To add the tuner would increase the price difference to ~$800. Since I can use the 1055 as a pre/pro is there any specific advantages to going to the 1066, will I notice any difference in sound (I was only able to audition the 1065)? I use my system for both Stereo and HT listening. Thanks in advance.

Scott
    PS: If you happen to have any other "next" upgrade to make recommendations I would love to hear them. The center channel is probably next, upgrading it to a Paradigm CC-370.

Receiver: HK AVR510
    Amp: Parasound 855A
    Mains: Paradigm Monitor 11 V3
    Rears: Infinity RS3
    Center: Infinity CC3
    Sub: Paradigm PDR-12
    DVD: Pioneer DV333
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Scott there's quite a few of us running the Rotel 1055 as a pre amp and I've had both in my system and couldn't tell the difference between them so if saving $300 plus dollars helps to tip the scale in favour of the 1055 go for it! As for what else to upgrade that's like asking an alcholic what's his favorite drink

Comment

• stkelly
      • Apr 2003

Andrew,
      Thanks for the info. I was really trying hard to figure out what the noticeable improvements would have been with going to the 1066 (just by looking at the specs that is). It seemed the 1055 had everything the 1066 had plus an amp and tuner! I have one other question, would the Rotel's internal amp be better then the separate Parasound amp? I know this is usually a no, but hey it doesn't hurt to ask someone with the specific equipment experience.

About the equipment upgrade, I should have known that question could've been a loaded one!

By the way, great home theater setup you got going there!!

Thanks
      Scott

Comment

• Neal_C
        • Feb 2003

Saving $300, getting a tuner and 5 extra amplified channels was enough for me to choose the 1055 as a pre/pro. I have it paired with a 1075 and am more than pleased. I haven't had both in my home, but I did demo both in the store and the spec differences couldn't be heard in real world application, atleast not to me.

But whichever way you go, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Neal

Comment

• sdecker
          • Jun 2002

Heres another vote for the 1055. Same preamp section as the 1066, plus a tuner.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

There are difference between the 1055 and the 1066's pre amp sections and in the lab the 1066 does have a lower noise floor...but in the real world these don't amount to much of a difference so we usually recomend the 1055. The amps in the 1055 are pretty decent but there's no way they'll sound better then the parasound. What you could do though is if your front speakers are bi amp capable use the parasound to bi amp your mains and use the other channel to power the centre speaker..then use the rotel to power the sides and the rear centre(s).

Comment

• sndtowne
              • Jan 2003

The RSX-1055 also has my vote for best value. The spec differences between the RSP-1066 and RSX-1055 are very small and probably not audible to most people.

Bruce
              Bruce

Comment

• stkelly
                • Apr 2003

WOW!!! Thanks for all of the great input. Now I just need to order a 1055 from my local Myer Emco. Andrew, great recommendation on the amp setup. My mains are bi-amp capable; currently I have them bi-wired so no big deal to bi-amp them.
                I'm definitely happy to hear the 1055 is so close to the 1066, I really didn't want to have to buy a separate tuner.

Again, thanks for all of the input! Hopefully soon I'll be able to contribute to the board!

Scott

Comment

• stkelly
                  • Apr 2003

I had two other questions.... What's the best way to bi-amp? Do you just add a Y cable and feed the signal to the seperate channels or is there some other better method that I don't know about? Also, I'm currently using those Radio Shack Gold interconnects, am I degrading my system by using these? I usually don't buy into the statements that you need to buy super expensive cables, but I don't want to be completely cheap and degrade my system.

Thanks again.
                  Scott

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

the Y cables are fine for bi amping. For interconnects the RS ones are decentl and affordable but like everything there's better What I'd suggest if you're interested is getting a nice pair of interconnects to use on your front speakers since this is where you'll notice the most difference..esp in music. There's a wide range of price points and styles out there to choose from but I really like my CatCables Silvercats since I find they have a nice open sound compared to regular copper and the locking barrels are great (Radio Shack's tend to put a death grip on some RCA's)

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"