For the people who did the 1055/1066 BM fix...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sdecker
    • Jun 2002

For the people who did the 1055/1066 BM fix...

Since I have cut out the 2 resistors I have noticed something strange. When Im listening to a SACD thru the multi inputs, if I enter the CD source, which is connected optically to the 1055, I can still hear the R/L channels of the SACD. This is very apparrent on multi channel SACDs as the vocals are missing. James Taylors Hourglass is a great example of this. The sound in fairly low quality and if I switch back to the multi inputs everything is back to normal.

This is definatly a new occurance, as I clearly remember listening to CDs and then a SACD left in the changer starts to play and there is now sound.

Any thoughts?

Andrew can you check this on your 1055?

Thanks

Earle
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Sure I'll try it tomorrow.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I tried listening to DVD-A via the multi channel inputs then selected DVD as the source which is connect via optical to the 1055. This automatically puts it into PLII mode so I then pressed 2 Chnl and I onl hear audio from the front two channels. Maybe it has something to do with your SACD player?

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

If's there's no sound coming from the CD player, this is normal. All of the analog inputs are grounded together and you will get bleed through..

When the CD stops playing, the optical output shuts off, making the 1055 'look' at the analog CD input, which are receiving a bleedthrough signal from the multi-inputs.. Nothing to worry about.

Now, if you can hear a mix of the CD and SACD channels, something ain't right!

Kevin D.

Comment

• Scarp
          • Mar 2003

Indeed, test it by playing a quiet or silent part of a cd.

Glad it isnt something else ... I'm still planning to make the modification, so this had me worried.

Comment

• sdecker
            • Jun 2002

OK, I found out why this was happening. I forgot that I ran a set of rca cables to from my 775 to the 1055's analog CD input. I unplugged the cables and now its back to normal. ops:

Thanks for the info. This is the best forum around.

Scarp,

I cant recommend to BM fix enough, made my SACDs sound much clearer. I cant get over how the double bass really "thickened" the sound. If I can do this fix, I just cut the resistors, anyone can. I have no training in electrical anything let alone a circuit board. Took about 5 min after I located the 2 resistors. Man they are small.

Earle

Comment

• Scarp
              • Mar 2003

I will check about this fix next week when I got some time (small holiday), although I will be busy, because I hope to get my RB1090 also

Comment

• Bill Blank
                • Sep 2002

Electrical dummy here...what tool did everyone use to cut these resistors? Also, once this "fix" is applied, the only option of bass-management that would remain on anything played through this input would be in their player correct?

Thanks,
                Bill

Rotel RSP-1066
                Rotel RMB-1075
                Rega Planet 2000
                Denon DVD-2900
                Mitsubishi WS-55411
                Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v3
                Paradigm Reference Studio CC-470 v3
                Paradigm Reference Studio 20 v3
                Velodyne CT-120

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Bill I didn't cut my resistors I soldered in a switch so that I could choose to apply the BM or by pass it completely allowing my DVD-A player to do the BM if needed.

Comment

• Bill Blank
                    • Sep 2002

Andrew,

I really meant the electrical dummy part. I have ZERO seconds behind a solder gun. I may end up just shipping the unit back to Rotel and have them do the fix as well as update my firmware. I think all I'll have to pay for is shipping.

Interestingly, I got an email from Mike S. at Rotel and he states that even after the fix, the 100Hz redirect will remain, but only on the Sub channel. Is there any way to get that frequency down lower? That's the whole problem with my setup, at 100Hz my sub becomes very localizeable.

Bill

Rotel RSP-1066
                    Rotel RMB-1075
                    Rega Planet 2000
                    Denon DVD-2900
                    Mitsubishi WS-55411
                    Velodyne CT-120

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Bill I had not heard about the redirect still being actilve...I'm going to investigate that. As for the soldering experience if you're not comfortable doing it shipping it off might be a wise idea. You could also ask your dealer if he'd do it for you..even if you have to pay for an hours work it might be cheaper then shipping.

Comment

• Bill Blank
                        • Sep 2002

Andrew,

Here's a quote from Mike's email:

"Rotel does offer a modification to the Multi Input board that can remove the filters, leaving only a 100Hz crossover on the Subwoofer input only."

It appears that it does in fact remove the filter from the 5 main channels, just not the sub channel. His explanation for the filter being there in the first place was this:

"The intention of this bass redirection filter is to provide a .1 subwoofer output for DVD-A and SACD discs, as this format does not usually include a .1 LFE track, only the 5 full range speaker tracks."

I suppose if the Denon 2900 has a selectable crossover frequency on the sub output, I should be able to tailor that to my taste.

The reason this whole thing is such a problem for me is that with my system, in my room, 100Hz is too high of a frequency to send to the sub, making it highly localizeable.

I checked with UPS and it will only cost $15 and 2 days to get it to Rotel's service dept insured. I hope to have them update the firmware while they've got it there.

Bill

Rotel RSP-1066
                        Rotel RMB-1075
                        Rega Planet 2000
                        Denon DVD-2900
                        Mitsubishi WS-55411
                        Velodyne CT-120

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Ah i see. Well if its fixed at 100 hz and you set your Denon to 80 then it shouldn't really be a problem. It would only come into play if you needed a cross over point higher then 100.

Comment

• Kevin D
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Oct 2002

Chances are there won't be much information that high or higher on most discs anyway..

I can see the small masses complaining that they want 'full range' sub inputs now or they just aren't going to buy a 1066..

Kevin D.

Comment

• Entice
                              • Nov 2002

OK.. I don't have an SACD nor a DVDa. D So, WIll the BM fix make any changes for me if It's performed (small speakers)?

What if I used the multi-inputs for my normal CD?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

if you don't have DVD-A or SCAD the nthere's little reason to do the BM fix. For listening to two channel via the multi channel inputs simply set the subwoofer level to off for the multi channel input and you're good to go.

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"