X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doodleboytoy
    • Jun 2003

ROTEL 1066/1075 vs. 1055/1070

I am strongly considering Rotel for my new HT setup due to the numerous positive reviews I read about it. Currently, my plan is to run Paradigm Studio 60 fronts, Studio CC and Studio ADP surrounds using either a Rotel 1066 + 1075 set-up or a 1055 set-up in a 25’ x 20’ room.

Questions
    1) How much better is the 1066 + 1075 vs. the 1055 +1070 given that I read that the 1066 and 1055 are basically the same. With the 1055 + 1070, I can use the 1070 to power my fronts and 1055 for my center and surrounds (is that possible?) plus have my system ready in case I want to add two more surround speakers for and 7.1 to be powered by the 1055 in the future. If I decide to use the 1066 + 1075 I am stuck with a 5.1 system unless I get an additional amp in the future. Plus the 1055 + 1070 will come out cheaper. Besides the 1055 is cheaper plus I have a tuner too.
    2) Are there any news of a new 1066 or 1055 replacement? My music room wont be complete until next June so I could wait for a new system if there are any in the making. How old is the 1066 and 1055?
    3) How is Rotel compared to Denon? I reside in Asia so Denon has better service here. I could alsop go for the Denon 3803 or 4802R and add an amp in the future.

• Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

1) How much better is the 1066 + 1075 vs. the 1055 +1070 given that I read that the 1066 and 1055 are basically the same. With the 1055 + 1070, I can use the 1070 to power my fronts and 1055 for my center and surrounds (is that possible?) plus have my system ready in case I want to add two more surround speakers for and 7.1 to be powered by the 1055 in the future. If I decide to use the 1066 + 1075 I am stuck with a 5.1 system unless I get an additional amp in the future. Plus the 1055 + 1070 will come out cheaper. Besides the 1055 is cheaper plus I have a tuner too.
    The 1055 and 1066 do sound very similar to each other and the 1055 does have a tuner and is cheaper which all help make the 1055 a bargin. That said the 1055 does have a slightly higher noise floor (at least on paper) and Rotel claims the 1066 does sound better. The question is do your ears tell you the 1066 is worth the additional money over the 1055? I can't answer that but I know you'd be happy with either one. Having the amps in the 1055 does make it more flexible as you mentioned. I'm presently using a pair of the 1055's amps to drive my side speakers which frees up a couple of channels in my other amps to bi amp my mains with.

2) Are there any news of a new 1066 or 1055
    replacement? My music room wont be complete until next June so I could wait for a new system if there are any in the making. How old is the 1066 and 1055?
    There's been no news of their replacement yet. They're both last years models so there could be something coming but as far as I know it won't be for awhile since Rotel's busy working on the 1098 pre amp (a much more expensive model)

3) How is Rotel compared to Denon? I reside in Asia so Denon has better service here. I could alsop go for the Denon 3803 or 4802R and add an amp in the future.
    Denon's a fine brand with many happy fans...that said there's a lot of us Rotel owners that have upgraded from Denon's to the Rotels and won't be going back to Denon any time soon (myself included)

Thanks
    You're Welcome

Comment

• sdecker
      • Jun 2002

I use a RSX-1055 with the RB-1070 powering the mains and love the combo. I dont use Paradigm speaker, but believe they are pretty efficient. The combo should sound great. I have read that the Studio 80's and 100's need more power and the 1080 would be a better choice for those.

The amps in the 1055 are real nice and can easily handle the center and surrounds. They are rated a true 75 watts. In comparing them to the 985mkII I use, for HT I couldnt tell the difference between the 985's amps and the 1055's amps. They only reason I use the 985 is I already owned it.

I have only listened to the 1066 at my dealer and thought the 1055 sounded as good, plus you get the tuner, though I never use it. Being that the 1055 was quite abit cheaper I went with it and never have looked back.

I used to own a Denon 3802 and thought it sonded great. That was until I heard the Rotel 1055. HT wise they are basically the same, imho. Musically they are worlds apart. I find myself listening to music more frequently and watching far fewer movies.

I dont know if I added anything to Andrews post other than backing up his words. Try them both if you can and as always, pick the one that YOU prefer.

Earle

Comment

• doodleboytoy
        • Jun 2003

Thanks Andrew and sdecker for your words of wisdom. I think I am pretty much sold on the Rotel 1055.

I have a couple of other questions since you seem to be the Rotel experts

1) How would a 1055 + 1070 vs the 1055 + 1075 sound? I just noticed that the 1075 costs only $200 more and is a 5 channel amp.
        2) How can you hook up a 1055 +1075 to a 7.1 or 6.1 system? Is it possible to have the 1075 drive the fronts, center and side surround and have the 1055 power the rears?
        3) Is there a big difference between the 5.1 and 7.1 system? My room is 25’ x 20’.

Sorry for the tons of questions.

Comment

• Rock Dog
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by doodleboytoy
          Thanks Andrew and sdecker for your words of wisdom. I think I am pretty much sold on the Rotel 1055.

I have a couple of other questions since you seem to be the Rotel experts

1) How would a 1055 + 1070 vs the 1055 + 1075 sound? I just noticed that the 1075 costs only $200 more and is a 5 channel amp.
          2) How can you hook up a 1055 +1075 to a 7.1 or 6.1 system? Is it possible to have the 1075 drive the fronts, center and side surround and have the 1055 power the rears?
          3) Is there a big difference between the 5.1 and 7.1 system? My room is 25’ x 20’.

Sorry for the tons of questions.
          I'll let Andrew and Sdecker answer your setup questions since I have limited experience with the 1055. I run the 1066/1095 combo.

I just wanted to chime in and say. No need to apologize for "tons of quesitons." That's what we're here for, that's how this place grows. There's not a member here who didn't have to ask a ton of questions, to someone, somewhere at sometime in their life.

Ask away, we'll do the best we can to help you make an informed decision. ;lx

Oh :idea: and one of the best things about HTguide is. Even if you did decide to go with the Denon. NO ONE here would (or would be allowed to) berate you over YOUR decision, and YOUR preference. :T

With that said, let's get back to helping you out.

Guys :?: How about it? 1055/1070 or 1055/1075? opcorn:

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide Off-Topic section. It's FUN!!!

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide After Midnight section. It's FUN!!!

Comment

• DSGCobra
            • Feb 2003

My vote goes for the 1098 and 1095.

RSP-1098
            RMB-1095
            RDV-1080
            Energy C-9
            Energy Vertias V2.0C
            Energy C-3
            Paradigm PS-1200
            Audioquest everything.

Comment

• LEVESQUE
              • Oct 2002

Originally posted by dsgcobra
              My vote goes for the 1098 and 1095.
              I'm not sure about that statement. I did pre-order a RSP-1098, but cancel it to go with an Anthem AVM20.

No balanced-XLR output... What those engineers at Rotel were thinking? A TTF screen? Don't care. Better sound is more important then a TTF screen for me.

I'm using all balanced amps and sources in my system. I don't understand why a pre/amp in this price range only does RCA-unbalanced.

The Amthem is incredible for the price. I did an extensive listening session compare to Krell, and the Anthem was keeeping the pressure on the Krell without a sweat.

I really hope the RSP-1098 will be able to compete in this price range. The Anthem is the best price/performance contender right now.
              To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

• sdecker
                • Jun 2002

If I didnt own the 985mkII I would be very happy using the 1055's internal amps for my surrounds and center.

You can redirect the 1055's fornt amps to power the center back channel. This feaure doesnt work with the original firmware, version 1.49 or 2.25 are the current ones. Its definatly worth upgrading to the current one.

My vote would be get the RB-1070 and the RSX-1055. When I compared the the 1070 to the 985mkII, the difference was very noticable. The low end seemed more defined with the 1070. IMHO, the 1070 is a better amp than the 985mkII, and probably the 1075. I have only heard the 1075 at my dealer for a short time. Im not saying the 1075/985mkII are bad amps, I just think their 2 channel cousins sound better.

Any other questions? I'm always here, so fire away.

Earle

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

This is a difficult one to answer since there's a few options available to you. Normally I'm all for flexibility so my advice would be to get the 5 channel amp rather then the two channel amp since it opens up more options as far as what speakers you can drive or adding a second zone later on etc. You can always bi amp your mains if they need more power and then use the 5th channel to power the center speaker. If stereo is your main interest the 2 channel might sound better then biamping with the 5 channel amp but you'd have to listen to both to determine that.

Yes as sdecker pointed out with the latest firmware that's possible

Since your room is quite wide I'd say that you'd benefit from either a 6.1 or 7.1 system. In narrow rooms 5.1 may be enough but if you have multiple rows of seating or a wide room the added rear channels can really help create a smooth sound field in the back of the room. I have two rows of seating but my room's only 12 wide so I'm running a 6.1 system. there's also a door where I'd put the 7th speaker if I were running 7.1 so 6.1's all I can do. For me 6.1 was easily worth the investment in the added speaker and given your room I'd hazzard to guess you'd like the sound as well.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"