X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fishy
    • Jul 2004

RDV-1050 vs RDV-1080

I am looking at a new(ish) DVD player for my ssetup below.

I can buy either a new 1050 or an older 1080 player.

But which is the better to go for? I will mainly use it for films, but the odd CD will no doubt be played on it.

Thanks
    Fish
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Fish,

The RDV-1050 Is newer and has Progressive PAL and well as NTSC video. However it is a cheaper build quality that the RDV-1080. In the UK the PAL is likely to be useful for your

The RDV-1080 has lower distortion for audio (0.0012 vs 0.0045) and is a better Audio player...

The RDV-1060 is the true replacement for the RDV-1080 and would be an easy choice....

The RDV-1080 is no longer made by Rotel....

However all up living in the UK - I'd buy the RDV-1050 on the grounds of newer model and PAL progressive support etc...

Geoff

Comment

• aarsoe
      • May 2004

Fishy

About the progressive scan, then it all depends on what you kind of tv/projector/etc you have.
      No crt based TV in Europe can display progressive scan images, most plasma screens have the same issue(even if they handle progressive scan it is internally by the set if self and not in the DVD player - but will give you the same picture quality).
      So only if you use projector or have plans for it I would make the choise based on progressive capabilities..

Oh - and depending on how often you shop around, you may want to wait a little bit longer as dvd players with HDMI output are scheduled from most manufactors by end august and september. Not that you need HDMI, but they will also give you latest and greatest in processing..

Comment

• Vicente
        • May 2004

Why don't you buy a RDV 1060? 1080 is outdated and 1050 doesn't have the quality in sound and image that the 1060 has. It is slightly more expensive but I can tell you it is worth every penny you pay for it. I use it with a RSX 1056 receiver and JMLab Cobalt S loudspeakers and when you see films or hear CD's you think you are in heaven.

Even last times when I go to the Cinema I don't find it as rewarding as seen a film at home.

1050 has a couple of things (Resume mode for 30 DVD's and video fine processor controls) that 1060 doesn't but this last provides analogue stereo audio connections and better processors.

1060 can also read DVD -RW disks even if it is not posted.
        1060 cannot read DVD-RAM, VR formatted disks or WMA files.

Comment

• Fishy
          • Jul 2004

Thanks for the replys guys.

I am currently not in a rush to buy a unit (still sorting the room out), but it wont be long until I need to. So thought I would start asking.

My aim is to use a projector for when in film mode, and *borrow* an LCD from work for normal day to day bits.

Look at my signature for my setup, but the projector and DVD player is still up in the air, but maybe now looking at the 1060 if I can save the extra 200 of the queens finest pound notes needed.

Fish

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"