System Calibration (1066/1095 specifically)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rock Dog
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2003

System Calibration (1066/1095 specifically)

When calibrating your system with an SPL and say the AVIA disc (or some other) Where do you start with regards to the volume setting on the 1066? Do you set everything flat (i.e. factory defaults,) and then turn up the volume to a certian number. Or do you set the system flat, and turn up the volume until you see 75db (or in the case of AVIA, 85db) on the SPL? Or do you start with a number on the volume display, say 70? Or maybe you don't set the system to flat/default?

How did/do you people setup your sound calibration?

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide Off-Topic section. It's FUN!!!

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide After Midnight section. It's FUN!!!
  • sdecker
    • Jun 2002

When I calibrated my 1055(preamp only, using ver 1.49) I set all speaker to 0, and then turned the master volume to 75 and balanced all channels to 75db using the internal test tones. I use a 985mkII and a RB-1070 as amps for what its worth.

Earle

Comment

• 3DCadman
      • Apr 2003

I used my trusty Radio Shack meter and started with all speakers to "0". Then, I set the meter to 70 (80 was next step, TOO LOUD). Then, turned the volume up till the meter read as close to zero as I could get it (front left speaker first). After that, I "walked" down the list of speakers on the test tone menu, adding or subtracting as necessary. Done!

Andy
      Andy

Comment

• Rock Dog
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2003

3DCaman, your info brought to mind a follow up question.

When using the SPL. Where is it in relation to the speaker. Do you use it in the "sweet spot," center of the circle? Or do you move it close to each speaker? If so, how close (or far) from the speaker do you hold the SPL? Do you point the mic on the SPL directly towards the speaker, or do you hold it straight up and down? So the mic is facing the ceiling? Or do you hold it at an angle?

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Comment

• Azeke
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2003

Rockdog,

It is said that the ideal position for your SPL meter is to mount it on a tripod in the center of the listening area at ear level. However if this is not pratical, as in my case, then hold the meter at ear listening level, and make the adjustments, be careful not to hold the meter to close to your body and eliminate external noise levels.

Hope this helps,

Azeke

Comment

• 3DCadman
            • Apr 2003

Rock Dog,

I've read in various HT mags that you should sit in your "normal" listening position and position the mike roughly where your head would be, pointed at an angle towards the front speakers, but not at them. Basically, you're calibrating what your ears would hear at your normal listening position.

Hope this helps.

By the way, did you get your Rotel stuff at Almas Hi-Fi (seeing you're from Detroit)?

Andy
            Andy

Comment

• Scarp
              • Mar 2003

In one of the other topics it was mentioned how Rotel calibrates their systems. They put the level for each speaker to several dB lower (e.g. -4 dB) and start from there. So you left from is -4 dB and volume 75 dB and then change the other speakers.

Comment

• Rock Dog
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2003

3D, Thanks for the info. I'll work from there on the SPL position. I had a feeling that one should not aim it directly at the speaker.

I got my stuff at Audio/Video Systems in Rochester.

Anyone else got information on how they set their system up :?:

-Thomas-

-Thomas-

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

I've always done my systems the way the above posters have...seems to work fine for me.

Comment

• YeeDude
                    • Dec 2002

Question:

Does this sound right?:

I recently calibrated by setup (1066/1075) using the Avia DVD and it required my Master Volume be set to 71 in order get 85dB on my SPL meter.

And yes, I understand that it's not necessarily a simple question to answer as there can and be various factors that affect the readings (i.e. room size, speaker efficiency, distance, speaker placement, etc.).

In my particular case the speakers are in a smallish (12x17') room and 7' apart and from the central listening position. (FWIW, with the 1066's internal test tones I was able to get 75dB readings at only 58 on the Master Volume.)

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"