X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Whozit
    • Jan 2003

Out of Control Volume

I've had my 1066/1075 combo for about 8 months and have had no complaints. Software rev is a couple of generations behind (2.2.2) but if it ain't broke...I have had none of the popping or delay issues that I've seen discussed on the forum, so I've been quite satisfied.

So today I watch some football (Dallas 17, Jets 6!!! Go Tuna), listen to some CD's, ect. I had just switched from CD to Sat and hit the Volume + on the Rotel remote. I let go of the button, but the volume keeps going up! I punch the vol down, but no effect. It it getting LOUD. By the time I get my fat middle-aged ass off of the couch it is getting REALLY LOUD! Wife & kids are yelling. I grab the volume knob on the 1066 and turn it down, but as soon as I stop turning, it starts going back up, with no one touching the remote! The only way to stop this is turn it off. When I turned it back on, it seemed to be working, but not well. I have to hit the buttons several times to get any response. Then it does the opposite- volume goes down even after I have released the button.

My first thought is change the remote batteries (even though the indicator is not on) but of course the only batteries that we do not have in case quantities are the AAA. So I will have to wait until tomorrow to test this.

Any thoughts or ideas???
  • Matt Sprouls
    • Apr 2003

My 1055 did the same thing only one time.

Matt
    Regards,
    Matt

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Hmm I'd flip the power switch off on the back of the rotel and wait at least half an hour beofre turning it back on. You might also want to take the remote out of the room if it ever does it again just to be sure its not the remote firing off commands (or just cover the IR sensor on the Rotel)

Comment

• Whozit
        • Jan 2003

Well, it is definitely the RR969 remote. I changed batteries, but problem persists. I tried it on other components, and discovered that it is malfunctioning on those as well.

I guess I will be checking with Rotel.

How do I live without a remote????

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

How do I live without a remote????
          Don't use this as an excuss to buy that pronto

Comment

• audunth
            • Sep 2003

Wow, I'm glad I read this post, so that if it happens to me I can cover the remote with my hand so I don't blow my speakers...could be expensive!!

Regards,
            Audun
            Regards,
            Audun

Comment

• Whozit
              • Jan 2003

Won't do any good. I was able to re-create this problem several times (and under more controlled circumstances!). Once the volume starts up or down, the remote is useless. I tried covering it up, even took it out of the room, but the volume kept changing. It's like once the "corrupt" command is sent, the 1066 doesn't get the signal to stop. Like I said earlier, even when you turn the physical knob down, the volume will start to go up again as soon as you stop. It even did it on the TV's internal volume!

I sent an email to Rotel last night, but have not heard back. I will post their response, which will hopefully be "Where should we send your new remote?"!!

Comment

• Azeke
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2003

Isn't there a reset button in the rear of the 969 (inside the battery compartment) to return it to it's factory default settings? If so you may want to try that.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Whozit
                  • Jan 2003

Azeke,

I tried resetting the remote to the factory default...no go. The next morning, I pick up the remote, and everything is working just fine!! I have been out of town for a couple of days, so I haven't been able to give it a real workout, but it seems to be working OK so far.

Ghost in the Machine??

Andrew, I brought up the Pronto idea, and my wife threatened me with bodily harm if I brought another remote in the house. Seems she has actually started using the RR969 and is getting used to it. Just my luck.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"