X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike_T_
    • Jan 2004

1066 volume - post 1.50 update

Hey guys, new to the club..lots of great info on here!

Just an observation after my upgrade from 1.37 to 1.50.

I had my speakers calibrated to about 75dB with the volume setting at 61 on the Rotel using the internal test tone. Now, after the update, the volume setting has jumped up to 69 to get the same 75dB setting using an SPL meter and Rotel's internal test tone.

After calibrating, it seems WAY too loud anywhere near 69 on the volume setting. I have to watch movies around the old 60-61 level. Even when I calibrate using AVIA, I have to turn the volume to 64 to get 75dB on the meter, however, watching movies at 64 is VERY loud..so I still end up at 61.

Any reason why after the update, my volume setting to reach 75dB on an SPL meter , is too high for watching movies when it wasn't before the update?

Thanks! Sorry it's so long...
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Per the FAQ at the top of the forum (if you don't see it, hit view topics from the past year)

V1.48 to V1.49
    Mute will automatically unmute when volume is adjusted.
    Volume display on OSD changed from bars to numerical display.
    Dolby Digital EX is now auto-detected rather than manual setting.
    Subwoofer YES and MAX settings now apply to all modes.
    Test Tone Level change to -30dB.
    So now Rotel uses the correct test tones levels to balance it out at 75db, vs what they used to use.. Volume is so subjective anyway I wouldn't worry about it, but that does explain the change.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Mike_T_
      • Jan 2004

yeah, I noticed from the update specs that they changed it -30dB.

However, I had calibrated my speakers using AVIA a while back and set the volume to achieve 75dB on the SPL meter. The volume level it read on the Rotel (61) was perfect for watching movies. However, now (even if I use AVIA and not Rotel's internal tone) I have to set the volume to 64 to get 75dB and when I watch movies at this level, it's too loud as well.

I realize the "number" that the volume level is set to is subjective. Everyone has different rooms, setting etc. However, it just seems strange to me that I can no longer calibrate my speakers to a volume level that achieves (75dB) on my SPL meter because it's too loud. I now have to calibrate to (72-3dB) EVEN if I use AVIA.

I'll have to mess around with it a bit more..thanks for the info though..sorry if I seem difficult : )

Comment

• Greg Johnson
        • Jan 2003

Mike_T_,
        When you use Avia to calibrate, you are supposed to calibrate to 85 db. A litlle tidbit of info I thought you may like to know. If you made any adjustments to your level settings with Avia at 75 db that would be another reason why it seems too loud.

Greg

Comment

• TonyL
          • Dec 2003

I believe the Dolby standard is 85db for the fronts, 82db for the rears, and 92db for the sub.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Tony unless I completely missed something on Avia I'm sure it tells you to set all levels to 85 dB as per their test tones.

Comment

• Mike_T_
              • Jan 2004

Ok, I might be way off here, but even AVIA themselves tell you that 85dB might be too loud for your living room, so they suggest calibrating to something lower then 85dB. So, what I do is turn up the volume on the left front speaker test tone, until it reaches the low 70's..around 72 or so. Then, I calibrate all of the other speakers to this level.

Should I calibrate the speakers at 85dB and make sure they all match at this volume level with Avia, and then simply turn the volume down until the meter reads 72dB (something reasonable for my space) and make note of the volume setting at that point for future reference?

Thanks!

Comment

• TonyL
                • Dec 2003

The levels I was referring to are the ones that are used to balance a dubbing stage when a final mix is being done for a Dolby soundtrack. Once the room is calibrated a Dolby tech verifies that the levels are correct.

I use these levels to balance my HT using an SPL and get a very even and 3 dimensional soundstage. While the initial 85 db is very loud, this is just to set the levels, normal listening levels are no way near that. Give it a try I think you'll like what you hear

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"