X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Atano
    • Jul 2004

RSP-1066; what's wrong?

Hello there!

I recently bought a second hand RSP-1066. When I plug everything in I get no sound in the left surround speaker. I've changed cables/speaker/poweramps/interconnects etc. and all I'm left with is the pre-amp. I ofcourse contacted the previous owner at once, and was told he also had the same problem when first hooking the pre-amp up with new equipment. But, he ran a factory reset on it and everything got back to normal. So I guess it sounds like a software error of some sort. I've tried doing a few factory resets, but no luck, still no sound. Well, there is sound, I can hear it faintly. If I turn up the volume really high I can just barely hear there's something going on in there, so it isn't totally dead. Any clues? I'm not looking forward to sending the pre-amp in for service wich will probably take a few months as I live nowhere near a workshop. :M

Edit: I have the latest software upgrade (v2.26).
  • dali
    • Jul 2002

Sounds like it's broken. A factory reset should clear any settings that would mute that speaker/channel.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Hmm that doesn't sound good at all. Where are you located? Fire me an email and I'll have Rotels's tech support contact you directly.

Comment

• Atano
        • Jul 2004

First of all, thanks for the replies.

Sadly I'm at the other side of the Atlantic. I've been in contact with the Rotel representant here in Norway and he wants the component in for evaluation, wich is bound to take a couple of months. I've managed to locate a local dealership for Rotel right where I live tho, and I'm looking into getting that dealer to wipe out the current software and do a complete re-install. I'm sure this is a software problem, considering the previous owner had the same problem when he first hooked it up with his other equipment, but got rid of it by doing a factory reset (he mentioned he found information about this problem on the Rotel website, something I'm not able to find). I guess the left surround channel somehow has gotten itself stuck in "mute" or something, since I can hear things during films (and the testtone) in there when I turn up the volume real high, just like you do when you pressed "mute". :huh:

Comment

• Stevebez
          • Oct 2003

Could it be a loose input plug on the back of the 1066 chassis ? If it is putting out a test tone, then it cannot be isnt receiving a signal in normal mode....

Rgds Steve.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

I have Europes tech guys emails addresses so that's not a problem if you don't find a resolution with the local Rotel dealer.

Comment

• Atano
              • Jul 2004

I have an appointment at the local dealership tomorrow around noon. I'll get back to you guys how it works out.

Comment

• Atano
                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Atano
                I have an appointment at the local dealership tomorrow around noon. I'll get back to you guys how it works out.
                So, after almost 3 months I go to pick-up my long-awaited RSP-1066 from the workshop. According to the service personell who worked on it they found no fault. They still changed a small "volume IC" on it however, don't ask me why, they couldn't tell me either. They concluded that I've set the volume too low on the left-surround speaker in the "Test Tone" menu option.
                I think "What the h..., Anyway, it obviously tested out ok in the workshop so it must be ok now." Wrong. Now the right-surround channel is muted. So once again I start testing with different poweramps, different speakers and different cables. I even took it to my mate's house to test it on his setup. Same thing, you can barely hear the test-tone/movie sound in the speaker, but it's so low you have to put your ear almost into the speaker to hear it.
                Now, I start thinking I've missed a menu option or something. Some volume/mute function I've pressed on my remote by chance. I can't find it tho. The only option for changing individual volume on the speakers are in the "Test Tone" menu option, right? :sos:

I am at loss on what to do. I'll try calling the workshop again tomorrow and talk to one of the persons who worked on it, I'm not optimistic. The Processor is only 9 months old, and it's been out of order for 4 of those.

Comment

• aarsoe
                  • May 2004

Atano

Did you actually hear/see the unit working at your dealer?
                  Also what is your setup? In other words, what is connected to the 1066?

Comment

• Atano
                    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by aarsoe
                    Atano

Did you actually hear/see the unit working at your dealer?
                    Also what is your setup? In other words, what is connected to the 1066?
                    For your first question, no. I have to ship it about 600km. There's only 1 workshop that repairs Rotel here.

I've connected it with several other poweramps, such as Rotel, HarmonKardon, Nad etc. Speakers are JmLab, B&W and Cerwin Vega! plus a heap of different interconnects. Same result on each time. It's no doubt. I took it down to the local Rotel dealership and they did not manage to get sound from, at that time, the left rear speaker. They even flashed the memory and re-installed the software just to check that option. Then it was sent to the workshop. Seems like the fault may be periodic if the workshop has checked it and given it an "Ok". :banghead:

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"