Low hiss/buzz from speakers -Rotel gear problem ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eliav
    • Jul 2005

Low hiss/buzz from speakers -Rotel gear problem ?

Hi
    I have recently noticed a constant hiss/buzz coming from my tweeters and mid range drivers.
    I have a brand new rotel 1095 power amp, sound processor rsp 1068 , and dvd player rdv 1060. all hooked up through a Monster power conditioner
    hts 5100ss.
    speakers : B&W 803s front, center : htm3s, subwoofer ; Velodyne SPL 1200II.
    I tried to unhook the TV cable - did not help.
    unhooked the dvd player - no change.
    Unhhoked the subwoofer - nothing
    used a plug "cheater" with the amp cord - no change
    used a 3 prong power cord on processor - no change
    tried a different wall outlet- does not work.
    Disconnected pre amp interconnection to power amp ( using RCA plugs, audioquest copperhead)= right channel better, still minimal hiss, center and left still buzzing.

Please help !!
    Last edited by Eliav; 24 August 2005, 21:48 Wednesday.
    :T Socrat
  • 5.0greg
    • Apr 2005

I'm having the same issues and like you have tried all the remedies. Unfortunately this is my second unit and I think it's going back

Comment

• Eliav
      • Jul 2005

what unit went wrong with your gear ? I still cannot put my finger on it, is it the processor or the power amp.? even when only the speakers are hooked up to the amp ( no preamp input) it still is buzzing, if I connect the pre - the right side will quite down, the center and left will still buzz, It is really weared.

Comment

• maddog
        • Oct 2003

It might be the RMB 1095.

Comment

• Eliav
          • Jul 2005

Is there any way to check this for sure ? Shall I return it back to the dealer ( it is 5 days old....) ?

Thanks
          Eliav

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

How far away can you hear it from? Less than 24" and it's normal.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Eliav
              • Jul 2005

Hohh ! great point thanks....
              I can hear it from about 2'' , at 24" it is not heard,it is also NOT increased with volume increase, however , from 2'' and closer you can hear a buzz/hiss from both tweeter and mid drivers. Is it normal with Rotel/Other gear ? if so I am SO much relieved...

Thanks
              Eliav

Comment

• Mark_C.
                • Jan 2003

What type of TV do you have? Some Rear LCD projector and DLP sets have motors or fans that can cause high-frequency interference.

Comment

• Eliav
                  • Jul 2005

I have a new Sony HDTV rear projection. I have disconnected it with no relief of the problem. Otherwise it is plugged into the designated socket in my Monster Power conditioner which is supposed to filter contaminated current. Again, when I stayed with only the amp. plugged in with only the speakers hooked up it still makes this sound, I guess it is something from within the amp output ?
                  Appreciate your input
                  Eliav

Comment

• Kevin D
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Oct 2002

Yes, pretty much everything will have some form of hiss out of the higher end. If you have to be 2" from the speaker to hear it, you're doing pretty damn good as it is..

Kevin D.

Comment

• Eliav
                      • Jul 2005

So Kevin what you're saying is that this is normal ? I have no previous experience with high end gear. I have heard tallking about "dead quite" gear which is NOT what i am hearing from mine ( well at least not DEAD quite....).
                      When I auditioned the 803s and 802d I have never even thought about auditioning these guys with no music on, simply paying attention to how much noise is generated out of the system loops, I guess I should have done this to get an idea.

Thanks again for your advice.
                      Eliav

Comment

• ThomasW
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

The 'white noise' coming from tweeter is the sum of all the 'noise' being generated by the electronic components in the signal path.

Power conditioners have no effect on this situation.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                          • May 2004

i recently moved to a new place and started noticing the hissing issue on the tweeters of my 704s..I didn't have this problem with my older place. Any suggestions?

Comment

• Eliav
                            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW
                            The 'white noise' coming from tweeter is the sum of all the 'noise' being generated by the electronic components in the signal path.

Power conditioners have no effect on this situation.
                            Thanks Thomas, you guys have bee very helpful,What about that noise , sounds like a weak buzz coming from the mid range driver of the front speakers and from the central channel tweeter is it still considered white noise, is there any standard level which is considered acceptable ? does it actually interfere with sound production when music is played ( after all with a high end gear you would theoretically expect noise free sound)?

Thanks
                            Eliav

Comment

• Eliav
                              • Jul 2005

I have received an email from Rotel technical support with regards to my question. It actually supports whatever Thomas and other forum members have indicated. Here goes :
                              "It sounds to me like you are hearing the normal noise that is generated from electronic components. Amplifiers do generate a small amount of noise by just having power applied to them. With nothing else on you could hear this noise if you speakers are good enough, which in your case they definitely are. As long as the "floor noise" does not increase with volume adjustments and can not be heard from normal listening distances, I would say this is outside of 3 or 4 feet, then it sounds as though the system is operating normally. You may want to contact your Rotel dealer and ask them about it just to see what input they have as well.

Best Regards,
                              Shane Kea
                              Technical Support

B&W/Rotel

I wanted to thank you again for your help,
                              Eliav

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"