X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • malcky
    • Jun 2004

newbie with the upgrade bug.

Hi folks,

new to this forum and have a couple of questions and would like some opinions/options on a few things i have shortlisted for the next few months (money permitting of course).

Now i am in the uk and a know a lot of you are accross the water and so might not be familiar with my current gear, so i have put links at the bottom of this post for reviews of them to give you an idea of what i have (as even some dealers here have never heard of my stuff which are all british made)

current gear with home cinema as main priority then for music:

1 x Roksan caspian processor (£1300.00)
    3 x Crimson 630 100w monoblock amps (£450.00 each) for front 3 speakers
    1 x crimson 620 50w stereo amp (450.00) for the rears
    1 x sony dvp930 dvd player (£300.00)
    1 x rotel cd player (936bx i think) will edit this if wrong when get home
    sky+, x-box, 32" phillips widescreen tv
    4 x AVI NuNeutron speakers for front and rear
    1 x B&W cc6 centre speaker
    1 x Rel Q100 sub

cables:

all the amps and the processor and sky+ is powered with LAT International AC-2 power cords, the rest are on standard cords as they are not detachable.
    All the analogue interconnects and speaker cable is with DNM reson solid core cables. Digital cable for dvd is Ixos 105, sky+ is optical using optichord by chord.

I have had the amps, processor, speakers and sub for over 4 years and they were at the top of their game at the time (and my budget), however technology has moved on in spades and am now ready for some changes:
    processor, speakers and cables in any order and not all at once, will probably take me a year to complete the upgrade (lack of money holds me back)

Now to what i want to upgrade to:

Rotel RSP1068 processor or something better at this price level.
    B&W 704 or Kef Q7 or anything in that kind of price range.
    cables: was going to continue with LAT International cables all round, however a lot of guys here are going on about Lex/Dougs catcables and this is probably where I will start changing things.

sorry for the long 1st post and questions but this is a fab forum and will be here for a while till its all complete.

P.S dont forget i live in "rip off uk" where everything is dearer than the rest of the planet (well allmost. lol) and will probably have problems with customs and excise if people suggest anything thats not available in the UK (smaller items should be ok though such as cables etc.)

links as mentioned to some of my gear:

amps: http://www.hifiplus.com/t-rev11-2.html
    processor: http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_read.asp?ID=1011
    speakers: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun9...v1neutron.html
    Last edited by malcky; 28 June 2004, 13:20 Monday.
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Welcome to HTGuide :later: I'm not sure exactly what you're asking though....? What questions did you want answered? The equipment you lsited sounds like a good place to start looking...

Jason
    Jason

Comment

• malcky
      • Jun 2004

in a nutshell i am looking for suggestions of new cables (speaker and interconnects) speakers within the price range of the ones listed above and a processor. cheers

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Your thoughts on getting the catcables is right on the money and a great way to get some very high end cables for far less then you'd pay in a store.

For speakers I'd look at buying some matching B&W's that match your current centre speaker...the front three speakers really do need to match so that pans across the front sound seamless.

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Ditto :T Either that or sell off your existing speakers and start from scratch if you're not happy with the current companies.

Jason
          Jason

Comment

• malcky
            • Jun 2004

well I have just gone and bought my new toy and should get it on tuesday, and its not what i thought i was going to buy out of the list above.

I have bought the sanyo plv z2 projector. :B :B

my little brother was with me when we went to a couple of hifi shops (he has a plv z1 and looking to upgrade to the z2) and i hadnt even thought of buying a pj at this stage but he twisted my arm (didnt really need much twisting mind you) as my system sounds superb anyway so i would be wasting money by changing thing when not needing to.

just need to figure out whether i get a draper luma 92" matt white or a high def grey screen, so any help answering this question would be gratefull.

thanks

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"