X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brandonb
    • Jun 2004

New to the Rotel world

I wanted to thank all of the members of this forum for providing the wealth of knowledge that helped me in my purchasing decision. After considering pretty much else out there (NAD, Arcam, etc.), I bought a RSX-1056 as well as the RDV-1040 earlier today. I am just astounded at the difference in what I can now hear from both 2-channel and surround material. My previous AVR (ancient Sony) doesn't even come close to what the new gear can produce, even on poor tracks.

My new setup:

Rotel RSX-1056
    Rotel RDV-1040
    Cox HDTV/Cable Tuner
    Energy C-5 (Main)
    Energy C-C1 (Center)
    Energy C-3 (Surround)
    NHT SW10ii (Subwoofer)
    Sony KV-32XBR450

Anyone have a similar setup? Any thoughts, comments?

Also, what are some DVDs that you guys use for demoing (showing off) your systems?

-BB
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Excellent, Congrats on the New Rotel Equipment :T

Generally....

For Video Demos I use the Hulk, Fifth Element, Desparado Super Bit, Monsters INC.

For Sonic Demos I use Imax Super Speedway, ID4, U571, Diana Krall Live in Paris DTS, Toy Story 2.

However ther are so many to chose, I can't narrow it down... :scratchhead:
    Bing

Comment

• GSamF
      • Mar 2004

Congrats on the new purchases.

My dvd demo's are the fifth element (when the blue chick sings), toy story, of course the original matrix, and hands down the best sounding dvd in my collection is Master and Commander. It got and deserved the Oscar.

The first battle scene where they move down into the galleys and then you hear the footsteps above deck, damn all mighty! I looked up thinking people were on my roof. I have no idea how the sound works to sound above my head (I even have 5.1, not 7.1), but it is awesome.

And if you don't have SACD go get it. It adds a new musical dimension.

Sam

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Hey another Energy/Rotel fan :T (See my avatar) Congrats on the purchase and welcome to HTGuide

Fleetwood Mac Rumours, Neil Young Harvest, Carl Orff's Carmina Burana and Metallica Black Album for DVD-A.

Movies...there's so many... Star Wars, Fast & Furious, U-571 Master & Commander, Eagles Hell freezes over DTS etc, etc.

Jason
        Jason

Comment

• malcky
          • Jun 2004

I always liked jurasic park 3 when the plane crashes after it has hit the t-rex.

Comment

• sbank
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by brandonb
            Also, what are some DVDs that you guys use for demoing (showing off) your systems?
            I use the DTS version of Twelve Monkeys to show off the surround aspects of my system. The scene where Bruce WIllis' character is sitting back in the hospital and he hears the voice addressing him as Bob, coming from at all directions. Very cool. :T
            --
            Steve

Comment

• will1066
              • Aug 2003

As Bing and Jason mentioned, U571. It will rattle and roll your living room. I also like the Lord of the Rings trilogy, the Bourne Identity for its lifelike ambience in the outdoor scenes, and Behind Enemy Lines (starring Owen Wilson and Gene Hackman, if you're not familiar). In dts, the scene where Owen Wilson's plane is engaged by heat-seeking missiles will absolutely amaze you. There's too many other movies for me to list right now (at work).

Comment

• SpOoNmAn
                • Sep 2003

Originally posted by malcky
                I always liked jurasic park 3 when the plane crashes after it has hit the t-rex.
                Good choice, but the plan hits a Spinosaurus, not the T-rex :W

And the Spinosaurus/Trex battle scene is another great part to test your sub/subs. :T

Theatre Photo Album (A work in Progress)
                GameTracker -My List-
                Life is short, Play it LOUD!

Comment

• Nick T
                  • Mar 2004

Congrats on the rotel purchase. Hope it brings you years of enjoyment

My recommendations for demo discs:

Blade II - this movie has a DTS-ES Discrete soundtrack option, and has some of the deepest bass i have heard on a movie soundtrack (skip forward to the dance club scene to see what i mean - its about 30 minutes into the movie). Very graphic movie..

Saving Private Ryan - the opening battle scene is a awesome tester for both bass and surround effects, although i recommend this movie with a little hesitation due to the graphic scenes and the sensitive topic that it covers

Signs - not an audio tour-de-force but has some very discrete and excellently placed sound effects, such as aliens walking on top of the roof. It actually sounds like they're on your roof! And the dog barking at the little girl about 10 mins into the movie made my friends and i almost jump off the sofa!
                  and lastly....

Final Destination 2 -stupid movie, but awesome audio and a crystal clear picture. The premonition that the girl has on the freeway will blow your mind (you'll know what i mean when you see it). Watch out for the car that literally flips right over your head and behind you. This movie also has a DTS-ES Discrete soundtrack option. This one's also a gross-out movie.

Have fun

Nick

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"