X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Citizen Kane
    • Jan 2003

A Quickie with the IF5700

Just pulled the trigger on an IF5700. For me it was at a comfortable enough price point to upgrade from an X1 without worrying too much about what fabulous FP technologies will come out next year.
    Two things I cannot comment on; rainbows, I was unaffected by this on my X1 and have no problem with the IF5700 either. HD material, unfortunately in my neck of the woods we do not have the pleasure of HDTV so I cannot comment on the PJ’s abilities in this regard.
    X1 vs IF5700: Typically the specs do not tell the whole story. Contrast on the X1 is rated at 2000 while the IF5700 weighs in at 1400. In my HT the IF5700 beats the X1 hands down in the contrast stakes. Both are rated at 1000 lumens, again the IF5700 is noticeably brighter. Ease of setup, most reviews will tell you that right out of the box the IF5700 is a go, this not a bullsht cliché, it is factory calibrated to 6500k and to my admittedly amateur eye they are not lying. The X1 as we know requires extensive tweaking to get it running at peak performance, while this process may have its charms to the tweakers among us; it rapidly became a tedious bore for me. Unless Angelo Manutti conjures up some magic setting I am unlikely to potter about in the IF5700 menu. I will keep my X1, at its price point it is unbeatable and will now do duty as my gaming PJ on my PC. Of course at twice the price the IF5700 should better and it is. Two times better you ask? Very close to it I say. So far I have watched Finding Nemo, Leon the Professional and The Fifth Element all Region 1 NTSC disks and from PAL Region 2, One Giant Leap, Dune (the new one) and Shrek. The biggest compliment I can pay this PJ is that within seconds of the movie starting I am immersed, I am not sidetracked by jaggies, colour saturation, noise (fan or picture) etc. Although it is optimized for PAL regions I have found no major differences in the PQ with my Region 1 disks. The colour on this PJ is just fantastic. I will in due course throw the standard “difficult” disks at it, the “Morea” scene from LOTR, Dark City etc. and see how it fares. For now I am blown away by it colour repro, relative silence, ease of use and the overall vivacious picture. Something I could not do on my X1 is sit through 2 consecutive movies without getting eye fatigue; on the IF5700 I watched ‘Nemo and ‘Element one after the other. Both are very brightly coloured movies and I had no fatigue whatsoever. I have not yet ceiling mounted the PJ and did notice that if you sit within 1 ½ m of it one is enveloped in a pocket of superheated air from the exhaust fans, tabletoppers beware. That’s it for now. Not a comprehensive review perhaps but enough to pique your interest?
    Setup: Pioneer DV535 – Component – IF5700- Matte White wall (dedicated room still under construction)
    60w shaded table lamp in a corner behind the PJ ambient lighting and total darkness tested.

Habe ad alius ad ait immoderatio
  • Dean McManis
    Moderator Emeritus
    • May 2003

Thank you Citizen Kane for that thorough review. 8)

For those unfamiliar with the unit, he is talking about the InFocus Screenplay 5700. Which is a HDTV compatible, XGA DLP projector with 1400:1 rated contrast and 3000hr bulb life.

The only part that puzzled me was your comment about the IF5700 being twice the price of the IF X1. The X1 has a $999 list price, and the IF5700 has an MSRP of $4999. I'm sure that the price has dropped from $5K list, but down to $2K?

-Dean.

Comment

• Citizen Kane
      • Jan 2003

Just to clarify, I live in South Africa, our pricing differs in every respect to that of the USA. Locally the dollar equivilent for the X1 is $2000 and for the IF5700 $4000. As can be deduced the X1 starts to look a little brittle in the value for money stakes when compared to the 5700. It should be noted that direct X1 competitors such as the Z1 retail here for about $2500. I foresee IF5700 dominating the local HT market as it's price, quality, performance beats the competition by far. It is also the first PJ that I know of that specifically addresses PAL 16:9 in the correct resolution, and in Region 2 that is a big plus

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Here's to thousands of hours of good viewing on your PJ, Citizen Kane.

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

• Citizen Kane
          • Jan 2003

Thank you George. I have every intention of doing just that. Thank you too for your dedication to this particular forum, I have gleaned many a valuable tip from your posts.

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Wow... I love this forum. I've seen people here from every continent in the world now, I think. (hmmmm... I don't know if we've had someone from South America) Welcome to the Guide!

CHRIS
            Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• Dean McManis
              Moderator Emeritus
              • May 2003

Thanks for the clarification. I guess that they are just keeping the prices closer to suggested retail. At least you can feel better that the IF5700 is not as far off in price locally as the X1 is.

-Dean.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"