X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • weijst
    • Jun 2004

Rotel or/vs NAD

Hello!

Just registered. This is indeed a nice forum :T.

But since it's getting pretty late here in the Netherlands and I'd actually like to go to bed, I'll cut right to the chase (sorry for that...)

I'm thinking about upgrading my HT system (there's something new ) due to the fact I can no longer deny the feeling 'something' is missing from my current soundstage (clarity, power?). Percentage music/HT is about 50/50.

Since the current speakers I use aren't that old, I'd like to start with upgrading my receiver. The models I'm interested in are the NAD T763/T773 and the Rotel RSX-1056.

I’ve already listened to the 1056 and the 773 paired with both my own speaker models (DM602 S3) as a couple of B&W 705’s. Off course both receivers sounded magnificent (1056 more clear, T773 better with midrange frequencies?), a considerable leap over my current setup. However they were both placed in a specially designed audio/listening room, something completely different from my current 12 by 12 ft room…

The thing I’d like to know is if there are any more out there who made the same kind of upgrade (e.a. from a Marantz SR5200 to a Rotel/NAD ) and have any comment / tips.
    Or if there are any people out there who have also chosen between the NAD T763/773 and the RSX-1056.

Finally I’d like to hear some comment on coupling the RSX-1056 or one of NAD’s models with B&W 600 S3 serie speakers. Although I am considering buying the 700 series in the future, my current DM602’s will have to do for now.

Hope to hear from you!

Greetings from the Netherlands!
    Weijst
    Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R
  • stantheman2
    • Apr 2004

ROTEL, ROTEL, ROTEL!!! :T

My setup is fairly similar to yours. My HT is in a 13 foot by 13 foot room. I have B&W 600 Series 2 speakers: 603s front, LCR6 center, 601s rear.

I upgraded from a Denon 2700 (rated 80w x 5) to a Rotel RSX-1056. The sound quality through the Rotel is dramatically better, both in 2-channel stereo and in 5.1 (Dolby Digital, DTS, or ProLogic IIX). I would not have believed the B&W 600 series speakers could sound so good. Also, the Rotel is a much more powerful receiver than the Denon, even though the Denon is "rated" 5 watts/channel higher. See other threads in Club Rotel for a description and discussion of why "Rotel watts" are better. Most posters to various forums seem to rank Marantz and Denon about equal, but put Rotel higher.

Truth be told, I have not listened to the NAD, so I can't offer a direct comparison. From reading other forums, others seem to agree with your assessment - the NADs seem to have a slightly warmer midrange, while the Rotel has more clarity and better detail. My listening preferences are biased towards accuracy, detail, and clarity, so the Rotel is a fantastic fit for me. Also, the Rotel has better setup and customization options than the NAD, so you can fine-tune the sound and setup much more to your liking.

Comment

• jfinneru
      • Nov 2003

Hey. I have tested nad 763 and the pre pro 163/973. my main issue with this equipment was the noice. they use cooling fans on them without thermostat, so they ran at full speed from the moment you turn them on. we also had noice coming from the speakers one every volum( this issue was to be corrected). In my opinion fan cooling is a NO NO NO in home cinema/stereo system.
      brgds joern

moderator norwegian avforum

Comment

• Charl
        • Apr 2004

Welcome Weisjt,
        I had the NAD T752 av receiver and the C272 power amp, with my current B&W 603S3, LCR60 and 600S3 speakers. I have since 'upgraded' to the NAD T163 pre/pro and Rotel RMB-1075 amp.
        I can assure you the B&W's sound great with both NAD and Rotel amplification, although I haven't compared a Rotel processor yet.

In my view the NAD had a lovely warm sounding midrange, with the Rotel being a bit more bright and 'clinical'.
        Your listening room will also play a role, as large reflective areas (tile floor,windows,etc.) will pronounce the upper frequencies and in some cases can cause a bright system to sound 'harsh'.

Of course it is a matter of personal preferance, and you'll only know after listening for yourself.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"