X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pez
    • May 2004

Bridging a RMB-1066

A friend of mine may buy my 1066 amp if I get the 1077. Before that happens I want to make sure it will work for his application. The 1066 is 6 X 60 wpc and bridgeable to 3 X 150 wpc. He currently has Monitor Audio Silver RS6's (and matching center channel) which are rated as 6 ohm speakers and plans to use the amp in the 3 channel configuration. I thought I read somewhere when bridging the 1066 the speakers have to be rated at 8ohms. This is an area what I dont know a whole lot and could use some help. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
  • vaci
    • May 2006

You are correct, you can't use the 1066 in a bridged configuration with the RS6s.

What you can do, however, is to bi-amp the speakers, so drive the bass from one channel and the upper range from another. This will leave you the third channel for the centre speaker.

I have pretty much the same equipment, and the 1066 is very happy driving my RS6s in this configuration.

Comment

• CombatWombat
      • Jul 2006

I have two 1066s all bridged... Great amps... I use them to drive my rears and center on my second system
      Klipsch SF2s x4 mains and rears and the RC-3 Center

I find that when driven a bit hard

EG... Pearl Harbour when a plane flyes though the center then straight in to the right rear (which are both driven by the same amp) the amp flicks both channels in to protection

All the spekaers a 8 ohm and the center is 125 wpc and rears 100wpc

My only thought is that when bridged that lose a lot of dynamic ability and then cant handel the transients when they happen.

Mind you this is very rear and I have only made this happen when I was pushing things hard... Dont get me wrong that are fantastic little amps just thought you might want to know.

I still use them hard just know how hard I can push them now better flicking into protection than clipping.

Comment

• Pez
        • May 2004

Thanks for the info. We also considered the passive bi-amping thing but the guy that wants to buy my amp couldnt get past "only" 60 wpc vs 150 wpc. I think he may end up going with a 1075 instead.

Comment

• mike c
          • Dec 2005

I ran mine bridged but on 8 ohm speakers ... they were pretty good, with lots of headroom.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"