X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MCH
    • Mar 2004

RSX-1055 or Yamaha RX-V1400? Advice Appreciated

Given our HT situation, which a/v receiver would you recommend: the RSX-1055 ($799) or Yamaha RX-V1400 (approx. $550):

My husband and I are purchasing a plasma television for our master bedroom, and we'd like to set up a small 5.1 system for 80% television (emphasis on HD viewing when possible)/DVDs & 20% 2-channel music (we own a separate dedicated 2-channel system in another area of our home). Even though music will not be the primary purpose, when we listen we would like it to be as good as possible for an a/v receiver in our price range. We don't have the space for 7 dedicated speakers, and are not big fans of multi-channel music. We are going to purchase B&W wall mount speakers for the fronts, center channel, and in-ceiling B&Ws for
    the rears. Initially, we are not going to have a sub. We are going to subscribe to DirecTV (currently with DishNetwork but going to change), and have one of their HD receivers hooked up, as well as a progressive
    scan DVD player (to be determined). All of the equipment will be hooked up out of the room, the plasma will be mounted on the wall with the front
    speakers.

I have the opportunity to purchase the last RSX-1055 in my area from a dealer for $799. He has had the unit in for a couple of months, it has been on display for physical appearance only and has never been hooked
    up to any audio/video equipment. My budget originally was $600 tops for an a/v receiver (originally had planned on purchasing a new Yamaha RX-V1400 which has received excellent reviews) but this seems like too
    good of a deal to pass up. We will need to have a IR Receiver installed. However, I have a few questions based on some of the comments & complaints I have read on the internet about the RSX-1055:

* Is it likely this unit may have issues in processing the HD signal? Does it affect progressive scan at all?

* I have read a fair amount about speaker hums...is this a common problem? What is the best way that this can be avoided.

* I am going to have this installed by a professional who is handling the install on all our other equipment. Is the 1050 fairly easy to install for
    someone who is technically oriented?

* I would like the capability of a headphone (have a pair with an extension jack), what are the least expensive options for this?

* Do you believe the Rotel will be a better investment than the Yamaha RX-V1400 or even a used Arcam AVR100?

*What additional advice can you provide concerning the hookup of the 1055 & my HT setup?

* Should I purchase something used and wait until I can afford the new RSX 1056?

I apologize for so many questions. My husband and I just want to maximize the investment of the plasma, and our 5.1 HT setup for the funds we have available. FYI: I am a HT newbie so please keep this in mind. We would appreciate your insight.
  • Eiffel
    • Aug 2003

Welcome to club rotel!

I am not familiar with the Yamaha RX-V1400, but it is my understanding that the Rotel receiver has some of the best sound in its $1000+ price category. At the price you can buy it, it should be excellent value (In fact, should you wish to, you should be able to trade it in for the newer model for less than what some of us paid for a RSX-1055).

Now to your specific questions:

1. if this receiver has been produced recently (which is likely), you should have no issue with HD. One way to check is to power the unit on, and to verify that the firmware version starts with a "2" instead of a "1" (The FAQ explains how to display the firmware version, in case your dealer doesn't know how to do it). If this is an older unit, Rotel can upgrade it for free (I believe).

Either way, this should not be an issue with progressive scan DVD, or if your display is not a real HDTV plasma.

2. Speaker hum is not a major issue, according to my research and in my experience (RSX-1055)

3. The 1055 is very easy to instal and setup. There is no surprise with this unit (industry standard IR connections, etc)

4. For headphone connection, there are a few solutions. One is to connect a recording device (old tape deck?). Another one is to use the headphone connection on your source devices (if any), although this won't work with the integrated tuner. Finally, and for best results, you can buy a headphone amplifier. Any product from, for instance http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?...&subTopicID=27 will sound better than the other two options.

5. The Rotel should keep its value better than the Yamaha product. I don't know how it would compare to a used Arcam product (it depends on the price and product). Given that the Rotel has pretty modern features, you should also be able to keep it in your system for quite a long while.

There will always be newer models on the horizon, whith additional features, but a RSX-1055 fro $800 will be hard to beat. The newer RSX-1056 does add a few features, but this might not be used anyway in your system (DPL IIx is of no benefit in a 5.1 setup, video upconversion is probably not necessary and redundant with circuitry in your plasma, and there are very few DTS96/24 DVDs).

No matter which AV receiver you buy, you'll find that they won't sound as good as a dedicated stereo system, and that they will become obsolete faster. Buying a well regarded discontinued model is the smart way to go IMO.

Good luck!

Originally posted by MCH
    Given our HT situation, which a/v receiver would you recommend: the RSX-1055 ($799) or Yamaha RX-V1400 (approx. $550):

* Is it likely this unit may have issues in processing the HD signal? Does it affect progressive scan at all?

* I have read a fair amount about speaker hums...is this a common problem? What is the best way that this can be avoided.

* I am going to have this installed by a professional who is handling the install on all our other equipment. Is the 1050 fairly easy to install for
    someone who is technically oriented?

* I would like the capability of a headphone (have a pair with an extension jack), what are the least expensive options for this?

* Do you believe the Rotel will be a better investment than the Yamaha RX-V1400 or even a used Arcam AVR100?

*What additional advice can you provide concerning the hookup of the 1055 & my HT setup?

* Should I purchase something used and wait until I can afford the new RSX 1056?

I apologize for so many questions. My husband and I just want to maximize the investment of the plasma, and our 5.1 HT setup for the funds we have available. FYI: I am a HT newbie so please keep this in mind. We would appreciate your insight.

Comment

• Bam!
      Super Senior Member
      • Jan 2004

Hi CHC and welcomarooney!

I have a question on a question here ops: sorry....

How can you get an RSX 1055 for 799.00$ 8O ...

Thanks!

Bam!
      Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• Shane Martin
        Super Senior Member
        • Apr 2001

If you don't mind me asking, what is he quoting you on a 1056?

Comment

• MCH
          • Mar 2004

Thank you for the warm welcome eiffel, bam and shane! Eiffel, I really appreciate the detail in your response, and the insight you provided. Bam, the unit is priced like that because it is his last and he is making way for the new model. Shane, I didn't get a quote on the 1056...it is out of my budget, at this time. He would have to order it so I can't imagine that he would discount it more than 10% or so.

I'm hoping more Club Rotelers will respond and provide their thoughts on this propose setup.

Best,
          Mary

Comment

• sikoniko
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2003

I bought my rsx1055 when the yamaha 1400's were just coming out. I had an old yamaha 992. Sound quality was a night and day difference from the yamaha to the rotel. The rotel was an immediate night and day difference in superior quality. I didn't really listen to the 1400 much though.

There are some irritations I have with the 1055. Occasionally there are lip synch issues. I find it mostly on hd channels that are broadcasting in SD. I also had some issues with dtses, but overall it is a great receiver.
            I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Welcome MCH

Is it likely this unit may have issues in processing the HD signal? Does it affect progressive scan at all?
              IMO, you'll be best off connecting any HD or DVD video feeds directly to the plasma display as the less connections and cables the signal has to go through, the better. If you do decide to route it through the 1055, like Eiffel mentioned, just confirm that it's a newer model. If there's any confusion a quick email to Rotel with the units serial number will confirm if it has the older or newer video board.

Do you believe the Rotel will be a better investment than the Yamaha RX-V1400 or even a used Arcam AVR100?
              Especially at the price you're getting it, it absolutely is an awesome value. You could probably sell it used a year from now at little or no loss at that price. You'd likely notice a little better performance for movies but a much bigger improvement on audio compared to the Yamaha.

Do you plan to add a sub later when funds are more available again? I highly recommend it as, as good as those speakers are they just aren't going to be able to play very low.

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
              Jason

Comment

• Cotrel
                • Feb 2004

I just recently got my 1055 and love it. Highly recommend you grab the one offered for 799.00... you certainly won't regret it..JC

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"