X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rantzmar
    • May 2009

Rotel 1055 and Emotiva ERC-1 shootout.

I have a Rotel 1055 CDP that was made in 2002. Yesterday I had a chance to do a shootout with it and the new ERC-1 by Emotiva.

We had The Rotel 1090 preamp (Which btw, my buddy who has Conrad-Johnson mono tube amps, the matching preamp, Dynaudio speakers, very expensive cables, Krell, T+A, ADCOM, Rega, and Audio Note all in his audio system, not including the Marantz new Pre/pro and the Linn 5 channel amp in his HT thought the Rotel 1090 was a very good performing preamp) connected to the ADCOM amp and the Audio Note Tube DAC, with transparent Speaker Cables, and Audio Note cables between the DAC and amp, and Transparent cables between the amp and preamp and preamp and CDP's. We played The 1055 first and it had a very good engaging sound. The Rotel sounded better than what my friend thought. He said if he remembered correctly the Rotel was dark and slow and not good at all. But when we fired up the 1055 he recanted and gave the 1055 it due. When then hooked up the ERC-1 from emotiva at $399. After the first 10 seconds the shootout was over. My friend and I both knew it. The Emotiva was neutral with a deep bottom end...a sound that had more depth than the 1055, a very good midrange and very pleasant highs. It out classed the 1055 in every way. But to be fair, the 1055 was 7 years old. I hope the new Rotel player sound much better than the 1055. The Emotiva is much better than its price point.

Rantzmar.
    Last edited by rantzmar; 26 October 2009, 20:41 Monday.
    Two Channel Room

Vincent SA-T1/Telefunken/Golden Lion tubes~Rotel RB 1080~ Musical Fidelity XRAYv8/XXXpsu~MMF-.7.1~2M Black-Grado Phono 1 Analysis Plus Phono Cable~Canton 830.2~ Analysis Plus interconnects and speaker wire.
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

Now try the Cambridge Audio CDP 640c v2.
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• rantzmar
      • May 2009

Originally posted by PewterTA
      Now try the Cambridge Audio CDP 640c v2.
      Yeah we are wanting to do one, but I suspect that it will have to be the 7 or 8 series Cambridge. We already did a shootout with the New NAD 545bee and the ERC-1 smoked it, and the NAD smoked the Cambridge 540cv2. WE also did a shootout with the Emotiva ERC-1 and the Musical Fidelity X-rayv8 CDP and the X-ray smoked the ERC-1. And we did another shootout with the ERC-1 and the T+A Series E CDP and the T+A really smoked it bad. But the X-ray retails for more than $2400 new, and the T+A retails for $3000 new so you can't expect the ERC-1 to out class those players considering it retails for only $399 new. But to give the Emotiva ERC-1 competition the player seems to have to retail at least a $1000 or better.

Rantzmar
      Two Channel Room

Vincent SA-T1/Telefunken/Golden Lion tubes~Rotel RB 1080~ Musical Fidelity XRAYv8/XXXpsu~MMF-.7.1~2M Black-Grado Phono 1 Analysis Plus Phono Cable~Canton 830.2~ Analysis Plus interconnects and speaker wire.

Comment

• legion1capone
        • Oct 2008

Great information thanks for sharing! I've had my eye on Emotiva gear for awhile, just waiting for the reviews and comparison to other gear. I've tried on the emotiva board to get them to say what there gear sounds like. To see were it falls in each catagory. It's like pulling teeth! lol

Comment

• xyrium
          • Nov 2009

Rantzmar, what type of transport is that unit using? Also, what Dyns did you use for this review?

Can you give me some descriptions of the timbre, attack, and decay differences that you were hearing so I can put together a better picture?

Thanks!
          Paul

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"