X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pbone
    • Apr 2003

RSX-1055 vs stereo amplifier for music

I am very much a beginner here although I have had a Rotel 931Mk2 for several years. Two things have happened- one is that the Rotel has gone to another home and the other is that I have finally decided to get into home theatre, although 90% of my system use will still be music- the RSX -1055 seems perfect for me (and just within my budget). I have a few questions:

1. Just how good is the RSX-1055 in stereo?- I assume that it would be better than my old 931Mk2 but would it be better than say an RA-02 or RA-1060. I am asking this because, for example I could get a reasonable surround receiver (eg Marantz 4300 or Yamaha 630) and the RA-02 or maybe even the RA-1060 for the same cost as the RSX-1055- which system would sound better in stereo? I have heard both the RA-02 and the RSX-1055 and though they were roughly the same but this was in different shops and very different speakers.

2. I have some Monitor Audio SIlver 5i and biwire with Cable Talk 3.1. I have always been perplexed with the way Rotel binding posts don't have holes in them for the wire. Is there anyway to biwire Rotels without using banana plugs? And what is the rationale for the Rotel binding plugs.

Thanks for any advice
  • sounddog
    • Feb 2003

I used to have an RA1060, and now have an RSP1066 with RB985MkII ... when I first got the 1066, I was using the 1060 and 2x 970s for power amplification.

Anyway ... I compared the RA1060 to using the RSP1066 with a 970, and the results with an analogue connection from a CD player and B&W 601s2 speakers were very close ... the RA1060 just nudging out ahead of the RSP1066 + 970. When I bi-amped the speakers with the 2 970s this was better (to my ears) than the RA1060 by itself.

It depends how important stereo music is to you ...

Vikki

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"