X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • twitchie
    • Apr 2003

Looking for RA02 opinions

I need to pick up something for the living room (strictly 2-channel) and was wondering if anyone has any opinions on the Rotel RA02?

My dealer is pushing the RA1060 for a 50% price diff, but I'm only running B&W 601 S3, and don't want to be running a $1000 amp on $650 speakers (CDN MSRP)
  • mazuly
    • Feb 2003

I assume that you have listened to both using 601s. If not, try them both at your dealer with 601s or better yet, ask your dealer to see if you could audition them at home. Then I guess you have to make a decision if the extra cost is worth it.

In my case I will be running RSP-1098/RMB-1075 on B&W DM310 fronts and DM600 rears soon. I am presently using RSP-1066/RMP-1075. My speakers are way cheaper than my gear, but the system makes them sound awesome.

So I guess what I am trying to say is 601s are excellent speakers and a good gear can make them sound surprisingly good.

Good luck,
    Maziar

Comment

• spiffnme
      • Apr 2003

I think you're in the minority though, when it comes to electronics that cost mulitiples of what your speakers cost.

I'd see if your dealer would let you a/b the RA-02 and RA-1060 paired with your speakers. See if it does indeed sound 50% better. I'm guessing it probably won't.

www.funnyfarmcomics.net
      All Daredevil, All the Time!

Comment

• twitchie
        • Apr 2003

Thanks Maziar and Spiffnme for both your replies.

It's a long (waf) story, but I didn't pick the speakers, and they aren't going to be changed anytime soon, so yes, I can't justify spending more on amplification than the speakers cost.

I started out looking at the NAD C320BEE, but the store rep recommended moving up to the C350 (supposed to be the same pre section as the C370 w/ less power and no phono stage) for another $60. This ended up pushing me within $100 of the RA02, so my loyalty being what it is, I just had to look into it.

P.S. for all the jokers reading about my waf issues and making whip cracking sounds with their mouths...let it be known that I rule the HT (the only place that matters)

Comment

• greggz
          • Jun 2002

Your speaker's sensitivity is rated by the mfg at 88dB. and in actuality probably less than that. (My N805s are rated at 88dB and Stereophile measured them at 85dB.)

You dealer is probably thinking that based on the efficiency (or inefficiency) of you speakers, you might be better served by having the extra power of the RA-1060 (60w) vs. the RA02 (40w).

Gregg
          Gregg

Our Home Theater

Comment

• mazuly
            • Feb 2003

I have been called by a lot of different nick names (Maz, Mazuly, Mazba, Mazda, Moses....) but never Maz-AIR. I hope you are not suggesting something to do with my name and AIR

Good luck with your quest for and amplifier,
            Maziar

Comment

• twitchie
              • Apr 2003

Maziar, my deepest apologies for the misspelling of your name ops:

We don't listen at anything more than moderate levels, and in their temporary home, I'm running them through an RB850 (50w) and it sounds good. I'm sure the extra power would give better control, but again, if I'm gonna spend that much on the amp, I'd be scheming to replace the speakers all the time.

The other thing is that my Rotel dealer keeps saying there is a huge difference in the sound quality of the RSP1066 and RSX1055 used as a pre/pro, even though he hasn't tried the 1055 as a pre/pro (he's talking theoretically). I know he's trying to upsell, but I never asked for him for recommendations, just opinions.

Whenever I bring up the RA02, he tells me to "don't even bother with it", and either starts talking about the RA1060, RC1070 (I have separate power amps, but WAF veto'ed), or Arcam stuff. I have yet to hear what he thinks of the RA02 on it's own merits, and there doesn't seem to be much on the web either, so I thought I'd ask around here.

As a side note, my first Rotel piece was the RA820BX 25w mighty-mite, so I guess 40w is plenty in my opinion for my listening.

Comment

• gd
                • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Twitchie
                my Rotel dealer keeps saying there is a huge difference in the sound quality of the RSP1066 and RSX1055 used as a pre/pro... Whenever I bring up the RA02, he tells me to "don't even bother with it"
                Uh-oh -- trouble... most everybody here will confirm there is virtually NO difference between the 1055 and 1066 as pre-pro's... this guy is definitely trying to upsell you... sounds like he's very unconcerned with your particular needs.

By all means, audition both units and get the one that suits you... trust your ears.

Or have the store manager get you a more receptive salesperson.

Or try another retailer.
                greg (gd to you)
                Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"