X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • taimur
    • Apr 2003

about to buy 1055 AV receiver

My local hifi dealer is about to set up a Rotel 1055 receiver for me. I bought the product on the basis that it sounded good but I in reading some of the posts on this board I see there are some minor issues surrounding the unit.

Can you tell me what things like the "bass management issue" are, and anything else that I could look out for. In particular, if there are recent important firmware upgrades that I could check, if anyone could tell me about these I'd be most grateful. Lastly, are there any other issues about the unit that I could be told about?

Thanks
    Taimur
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The latest firmware is 2.25 or 1.49 depending on which model you get (likely version 2)

The bass management issue is that even with the latest firmware when using the multichannel inputs it redirects the LFE channel to the mains as well as the sub which can mean you're getting too much bass. There's going to be a fix posted soon that you or your dealer can do fairly easily.

That said the bass management isn't "perfect" on a number of receivers so this isn't just a Rotel problem and even with the issue the 1055 is still one of the best choices out there (many would argue the best choice...I wouldn't disagree either )

Comment

• taimur
      • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
      The latest firmware is 2.25 or 1.49 depending on which model you get (likely version 2)
      Thanks for the reply, but I'm not quite sure I understand what's going on here. You're saying there are two versions of the 1055 - do you know what the differences are between them and whether it's worth trying to get one version over another?

Yours confused
      Taimur

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Yes there have been two versions of both the 1055 and the 1066. Basically the only difference between them is that the second version uses the 2.X software and has much better video bandwidth to pass HDTV signals...other then that they're the same. If you have a new one there's a very strong chance its the second generation since they stopped making the old ones several months ago.

Comment

• taimur
          • Apr 2003

thanks for explaining that - I don't think it'll make too much difference to me, as we don't get HDTV in the UK (where I'm based)

Taimur

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"