X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike Hayes
    • Mar 2003

1055 or 1075 & Old Receiver as pre/pro

I have an Yamaha RX-V1200 and am considering pairing it with a 1075. I am also considering selling the Yammie and getting a 1055. My speakers are: N805s (M), HTM2 (C), 601s (S). WAF & space may be an issue with the 1075. Which alternative sounds better?
  • Mike Hayes
    • Mar 2003

Also, would I notice a night/day difference between the 1055 (75x5) and the Yamaha RXV-1200 (80x5)? Will the 1055 be enough power to bring out the full capabilities of the N805s? Would the 1075 with the Yammie draw out more from the N805s?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

that would be my suggestion as well. Buy a Rotel 1055 receiver and use that for now and add a nice 2 channel amp for the mains later. When you get your 2 channel amp redirect the Rotels front channels to the back and setup your 6.1 or 7.1 speakers and you'll have a great sounding system

Comment

• Azeke
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2003

Mike,

I have a Yami RX-V3200 (soon purchasing the RSP-1066, when the budget allows) running as a pre-pro with the RMB-1095, and it's a beautiful combination (running MIT AVT3 interconnects). If it's a budget matter then I would go with Andrew's recommendation, but if you can afford the RMB-1075 and the RSP 1066 then go for it/ or use your Yami as a pre-pro until your budget allows for the surround processor. I don't think I will ever go back to AV receivers, that just my opinion however.

Listen to both setups, if possible before you make your final decision.

Happy shopping,

Azeke

Comment

• Mike Hayes
          • Mar 2003

Is it true that the 1055 & 1066 are basically identical when used as pre/pros? I read over on the Home Theatre Forum that the 1055 is a couple of hundred $$ less and that it is basically the 1066 with added amplification. I really did not find anyone challenging this over there and so, I thought I would double check here just to make sure. I received 2 very different answers when I asked salespersons at 2 different stores.

Salesman 1 indicated that the 1055 is basically identical to the 1066 except for the added amplification and that the 1055 would serve just as well as a pre/pro compared to the 1066. He owns a 1055. He traded in his Denon 3802 (110w per channel) for the 1055 indicating that the 1055 power ratings are very conservative and that he has noticed a marked change in the overall dynamics of his system. He indicated that it would be a night and day difference as compared to my Yamaha.

Salesman 2 at Store 2 indicated that the 1055 is not the same as the 1066. He indicated that the 1066 uses different and better chips. He indicated that I would be wasting money buying another receiver (in this case the 1055) because I would end up buying the 1066 and separate amplification (1075 or 1095) later on. He also indicated that I needed to buy the 1095 to notice any real change in output over my existing Yamaha receiver indicating that you will not notice any output change unless you double your current rated wattage, eg, I would need to add an amp that least had 200w per channel to notice any change in output. He indicated that I would notice a marked change in clarity in lows and highs even with say a 1075 paired with my existing Yamaha but no noticeable change in output. His bottom line recommendation was to add the 1075 or 1095 and the 1066 later on.

Please feel free to debunk any of this. I am somewhat confused at this point. Thanks for everyone's input so far.

Comment

• mickyboy
            • Jan 2003

i emailed bw/rotel on subject of 1055 vs 1066 used as pre/pro only they replied 1055 and 1066 are identical as regards pre/pro section,but the best results would be had eg
            1o66+1075 and 1070 driving fronts,or simular, would be better than just 1055 with its inbuilt power amps

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

I've owned both the 1066 and 1055 and when used as a pre amp I don't hear any difference between them. Obviously comparing the 1055 to a 1066 with power amps isn't fair given the power differences but when used as a pre amp only I doubt most people (myself incl) would be able to tell the difference. Add to it that the 1055 comes with a tuner and internal amps and it makes a great bargin. Note that I'm not saying that the 1066 couldn't sound better just that in the real world the specs are so close that its a moot issue IMO.

Comment

• Mike Hayes
                • Mar 2003

I am leaning toward the 1055. I think that because it is basically the 1066 with amplification and is less money to boot, its a preety easy decision. I can always add the 1075, a 2 channel amp, or both amps later on. Also, by purchasing the 1055, I get better processing, output, and clarity right now as compared to the Yamaha/1075 combination. To be sure, a 1066/1075 or 1055/1075 combo would be better but for now, the 1055 looks like the right choice for my budget and for overall listening enjoyment.

Comment

• jg49727
                  • Apr 2003

Hi

I have an rxv-1300 + rmb-1075. There was a huge difference when I
                  added the 1075 to power the fronts and surrounds. I compared the rxv-1300
                  with the 1055 and denon 3803 at a local hi-fi shop and thought the 1300 was
                  just as good (or a little better) than the 1055 for HT. For music the 1055 was
                  the winner. I'll be curious about your findings if you purchase the 1055.

Comment

• Mike Hayes
                    • Mar 2003

Jg,

I have been having some second thoughts about the 1055 lately because of the 1055 bass management problem. I am very glad to hear from someone with a Yamaha receiver similar to mine paired with a 1075. Thanks very much for your input. I am now leaning back in the direction of adding a 1075 and upgrading the pre/pro down the road. As you noted, the 1055 wins in terms of music and this is the main reason why eventually I will go with a 1055 or 1066 as a pre/pro but I would like to see how the bass management issue sorts out. It's very encouraging to hear that you have noticed such a dramatic change by pairing the 1075 with your 1300, very encouraging indeed

Comment

• Mike Hayes
                      • Mar 2003

Jg,

I have been having some second thoughts about the 1055 lately because of the 1055 bass management problem. I am very glad to hear from someone with a Yamaha receiver similar to mine paired with a 1075. Thanks very much for your input. I am now leaning back in the direction of adding a 1075 and upgrading the pre/pro down the road. As you noted, the 1055 wins in terms of music and this is the main reason why eventually I will go with a 1055 or 1066 as a pre/pro but I would like to see how the bass management issue sorts out. It's very encouraging to hear that you have noticed such a dramatic change by pairing the 1075 with your 1300, very encouraging indeed

Comment

• Mike Hayes
                        • Mar 2003

Andrew,

Is there any chance that Rotel will be correcting the bass management problem at the factory rather than having the retailer or owner correct?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

I'll ask and see if its something they're going to impliment at the factory but if I had to guess I'd say its unlikely since they'd have to change the way they're built and the manuals etc. I can understand your hesitation but honestly I don't think this fix is going to be all that difficult to do but as in all cases we can't tell you which receiver you'll like best so give each a listen and pick the one you think suits your needs...just don't let the bass issue cloud the issue to much.

Comment

• Mike Hayes
                            • Mar 2003

Well, after much debate, I have decided to go with separate amplification by adding the 1075 (the lack of a separate amplifier seems to be the most glaring hole in my current system). The WAF issues have been discussed and my wife is now okay with the separate amp. I do plan to add a 1055 or 1066 down the road. Thanks to everyone for their input.

Comment

• Mike Hayes
                              • Mar 2003

Sorry to keep bugging everyone with this decision but I have some more questions. Is there any advantage to a 1055/1075 combo verses 1055/1070 combo or is the 1075 overkill with the 1055? How much does the 1070 cost? Which setup is better for 5.1 (currently, I only have 5 speakers)?

Comment

• Danbry39
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Sep 2002

If I recall, the 1070 goes for around $700 and, no, I don't feel it would be a mismatch with the 1055. You could use it for your front two channels and it has enough power to handle all but the most power thirsty speakers.

That said, I'd personally opt for the 1055/1075 combo as I feel this would be the most complete solution. You'd have the 1055 with its lower price and tuner and 5 channels of delicious power for your system. The power section of the 1055 would give you added flexability should you decide to biamp or change over to a 6.1 or 7.1 system in the future.

So, you could buy the 1075 now and wait to pounce on the receiver later, especially given that there might be further upgrades/evolutions of the receiver down the road, ie such things as a bass management fix for the 1055. I can almost assure you that the sonic improvement by adding the 1075 will be significant.

All in all, you're in an exciting position with a ton of great options available to you.

Keith
                                Keith

Comment

• Mike Hayes
                                  • Mar 2003

Okay, I will now prove how new to the world of separate amplification that I am but what is biamping? Does this mean somehow using the 1055 & 1075 amp sections at the same time and if so, how do you do it?

Comment

• Mike Hayes
                                    • Mar 2003

When I said using both amps at the same time, I was trying to say using both amp sections (1055x5 & 1075x5) at the same time for 5.1 applications. Would this result in RMS195x5 or am I completely misunderstanding biamping?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2000

Sort of IF your speakers are bi amp capable you'll see two sets on inputs on the binding post with a metal bar connecting them together. Remove that bar then attach one channel from each amp to the top and bottom of the binding post. What this will do is seperate the tweeters from the mid bass cones and give them more power since they won't have to share with the other driver. In my system I hear definate improvements in sound quality when I'm bi amping my mains

Comment

• Ricky
                                        • Aug 2000

Mike,

IMO, for your 5.1 setup, you should go with the 1055 and a 2 channel amp. btw, as long as you go with a 1070 and it's solid 130+ watts, you don't need to worry about biamping with the N805s. Biamping increases wattage (nothing more) and its benefits are usually obtained by folks with full range towers (ie, one amp channel drives the mids/highs above ~ 120hz, and the other amp channel drives the lows...down to an honest 35hz or lower).

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"