X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • merlock
    • May 2004

Rotel 1056 and mp3 decoding

Hi All,

I just noticed this listed as a feature on the 1056 and am wondering if 1056 owners can explain how the mp3 decoding works on the 1056. What type of connection is required? Is there OSD for the mp3 listings/playlists?

TIA

merlock
  • eelco74
    • Dec 2002

You need a digital (coax or toslink) connection in order to play the tracks, since decoding is done by the receiver. Because of this, playlist is not available.
    Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
    Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
    Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Its really not a great feature as there's only a handful of devices that will output a raw MP3 stream digitally to allow the decoding to take place in the Rotel. Its really just a neat feature the chip Rotel uses has so they include it as a feature but in reality its not that useful...same goes for most of the receivers that list it as well given the lack of suitable source units.

Comment

• merlock
        • May 2004

Hi Andrew,

Will this work with a computer that has a soundcard with spdif out? Do you know if Windows Media Player or winamp can output mp3 in there raw format?

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
        Its really not a great feature as there's only a handful of devices that will output a raw MP3 stream digitally to allow the decoding to take place in the Rotel. Its really just a neat feature the chip Rotel uses has so they include it as a feature but in reality its not that useful...same goes for most of the receivers that list it as well given the lack of suitable source units.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I don't think WM9 can but winamp might..not sure on that one. I know there was a small HK device that could do it but in all honestly given the already compressed nature of MP3's it might not be worth investing that much time/effort as the sonic benefits may or may not be all that great.

Comment

• Tha Freak
            • Jul 2003

My DVD player always decode the MP3, so my receiver receive the decoded info ???

how can you send with the coax a MP3 file that will be decoded by the RSX-1055(in my case) ??
            - - - - - - - - - -

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggy?...or are you gonna bite?

Comment

• eelco74
              • Dec 2002

My dvd2900 also decodes Mp3.

But if you own a non mp-3 player, the rsx-1056 can decode mp3 for you. In order to do so, you need a digital feed. So optical or coax.

You can compare it to dts cd's (Alan Parsons made some). The cannot be played via analogue on you cd player, only via digital and then decode by your DTS receiver.
              Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
              Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
              Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"