X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SiliGoose
    • Aug 2000

MP3 & Separates

We have receivers capable of decoding MP3 (not sure how useful that is) and we have lots of hard drive, network devices, and DVD players capable of playing MP3s. However, the separates world has yet to acknowledge the existance of this handy compressed format.

I wonder how long we'll have to wait until some pre/pro is released with some acceptance of the MP3 format. In my opinion this could be done in several ways:

1. A simple source button labled as "MP3" or "Network". Even if the button is linked to traditional analog inputs it would still constitute acknowledgement of the format. I know I have no use for that "VCR" button on my AVM-20 (of course I re-mapped it to MP3!).
    2. MP3 decoding built-in. I don't know how effective this would be as most PCs output an already decoded signal. However, it would be a strong indication of the MP3 format being recognized by the higher end of audio.
    3. Network inputs & software to access your network. This would be the ultimate: a pre/pro that can access the mp3's off your network and display the name/tag data in the display. Something similar to the SliMp3 unit http://slimp3.com/ built into a pre/pro.
    4. A hard drive built in to a pre/pro. I don't think we'll see this as these units are better served as disc players. It would also add more to the cost of a pre/pro than the above options.

Again, I'm only wondering how long it will take for a pre/pro manufaturer to recognize the mp3 format by one of the above methods. I'm not intending to start a debat over which of the above methods is best.

The mid-fi & high-fi market might not want to associate itself with a compressed digital format but I think the market will warrant it at some point.

-Sili
    www.campmurphy.net
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The various pre amps that can decode raw MP3 files require a little device to sit between them and the PC...I know HK makes one but not sure on prices etc.

For a more practical approach try Audiotron's from Turtle Beach

Comment

• SiliGoose
      • Aug 2000

Thanks, but that's not the point of the thread.

I wanted to gather opinions on when the mid-fi to high-fi world of separates will accept MP3 as an audio format by implementing some mp3 functionality into a pre/pro.

When will the Theta's, Lexicons, B&K's, EADs, Anthems, Proceeds, Aragons, etc of the world incorporate MP3?

Or, asked another way, when will the audio comunity accept a compressed digital audio format? What will it take? The numbers (of users) are there I only question whether they have the financial status to buy in to these brands.

-Sili
      www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Bruce
        • Aug 2000

I think the ability to feed an analog audio stream stored as an MP3 source file from a PC to any mid/hi-fi products is already good enough.

I'am sure none of the audio manufacturers really care about supporting a raw brain-damaged audio format.

For those consumers that want the ease of a large database (large hard disk) of playback tunes, the PC audio output cards are already here without any support from the audio brands you described. Just MHO.

Bruce

Comment

• SiliGoose
          • Aug 2000

I think the ability to feed an analog audio stream stored as an MP3 source file from a PC to any mid/hi-fi products is already good enough.
          Ok...I think the ability to feed an audio stream stored on a CD source is good enough with a $200 receiver and $50 CD player...but you can get pre/pro's & CD players that cost tens of thousands more.

Besides, not all options are only analog. Option number 3 in my orignal post would be all digital. Reading the data via ethernet from your source (probably a HD on a network).

I don't understand your negativity toward this. I'm proposing a feature added to something we all own (a pre/pro or receiver). I thought we liked features? Wouldn't you rather have your high quality pre/pro handle MP3 playback instead of some crappy $200 box? I would.

-Sili
          www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Bruce
            • Aug 2000

Sili,

Didn't mean to be negative. Just trying to understand why it's important to preserve high-fidelity in a VERY lossy format that doesn't have high-fidelity to begin with.

I simply think analog transportation is easy and good enough for this lossy format. Myself, I would only use it for background music anyway, not for any serious listening sessions.

Essentially, this means I think they will probably never truly embrace it. IMHO

What crappy $200 box are you referring to? The SliMP3 unit you cited above?

Bruce

Comment

• SiliGoose
              • Aug 2000

No, the Slimp3 is cool. I was refering to boxes like the Audiotron.

-Sili
              www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Bruce
                • Aug 2000

Yea, I kinda like the idea of a box on ethernet that can get and distribute the music.

Bruce

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"