X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • resperc
    • May 2004

Concerns about "hum" with RSP-1068

I originally thought I was going to buy an RSX-1056 but now I am leaning towards a 1068/1075 combo. However, I am little concerned about all of the "hum" issues I see discussed on various forums. So here are my questions...
    1) Has Rotel addressed the issue?
    2) Has the 1068 been "fixed" or was the problem related to ground loops?
    3) Are there any recent buyers who can give feedback?

Thanks, resperc
  • eelco74
    • Dec 2002

From what I have heard is that Rotel has fixed the problem, and any faulty units were replaced or modified.

I can tell you in a week or so, since I expect mine will arrive......
    Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
    Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
    Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

From what I've heard from the few people with problems is that there were a few early units that got out with a problem. The problem's been corrected and anyone having an issue should return it to their dealer for exchange.

Jason
      Jason

Comment

• resperc
        • May 2004

I feel much better now

Thanks for your comments. Hopefully I will purchase soon. resperc

Comment

• GET
          • May 2004

1068 Hum

I just demo'd a 1068 to go with my 1075 amp. The first unit started to "hum" within hours, loud enough to be heard 10 FT away. The only way to stop hum was to remove the component video cables form the DVD player. I returned unit to the local dealer and have since picked up a second demo unit.....same issue, definite ground loop with the DVD player connected. My dealer told me that the Rotel rep. admitted that "some" units had a ground problem when the DVD player was connected.

I have being able to reduce the hum by attaching a ground wire between the DVD player and the 1068 (chassie) My question is.

1) should I have to do this when my Yamaha doesn't seem to have the ground loop problem when used as a pre/pro

2) will this grounding "fix" be a problem the way I have resolved it?

3) should I replace and try a 3rd unit.

Thanks for your help!

Comment

• Mark_C.
            • Jan 2003

Getting a third unit would just be a waste of time, IMO. It sounds like you've got something going on in your system. Cable TV and satellite seem to be the major culprits, usually because they aren't grounded properly.

Comment

• aarsoe
              • May 2004

Even though I did not have my 1066 while I was living in Austin, I experienced the same problem with my denon pre and 1095.
              I solved the problem with a ground isolater from Radio shack. Costed me around USD 10.
              Try it and se if it solves your problem..

Comment

• GET
                • May 2004

Hum eliminated

Just received the 3rd 1068....no hum! nothing else has changed in the system. Rotel defintely has a ground probelm.

The new unit works great! :T

Comment

• GosonFletchy
                  • May 2004

Just a quick correction to that statement, Rotel HAD a ground problem. They admitted that there were a few units that got out that had a problem and that they have fixed the problem. That is why they simply swapped your unit(s), they probably want those units that have the problem back so that they can fix them. Glad you finally got one that does not hum and I am sure that you are gonna love the 1068. I know that I do :T

G.

Comment

• teekster
                    • Jul 2003

Has this problem been "corrected" with the 1098s? I got mine a while ago and could only diminish the problem with a Panamax product.

Comment

• Kevin D
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Oct 2002

I'm pretty sure the 1098 never had a hum problem. They had an issue with center channel hiss, but a RF sheild fixed that. If a panamax product fixed it, then you probably had another issue. What product and what part of it fixed it?

Kevin D.

Comment

• teekster
                        • Jul 2003

Well, I was among the first 1098 owners in my area. My unit definitely had a 60 Hz type "hum" in combination with a 1095 amp. I had the problem with a 1075 amp as well as a replacement 1098 preamp. In addition, I noticed that the demo at the store was suffering from the same issue.

The Panamax product I used is the Max 5500 AC regenerator. The problem is not entirely gone, however.

I still think that it's a little silly that a had to spend $1000 on a Panamax product to fix a problem within $5000 of electronics.

Comment

• GET
                          • May 2004

The interesting part about the first two units that had the ground problem is that they were manufactured 20,000 units apart, according to the dealer and the SN.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"