• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audiofan
    • May 2004

Can i use Rotel 1080 with Denon 3805?

Hi,
    I'm new to the forum.
    I currently have Denon avr-3805. I'm thinking of getting Rotel 1080 to power the FL/FR channel. Does anyone try it and how does the sound improved compair to Denon alone? And Can i still use Denon as 5.1 movie? I mainly listen to music 80% and 20% is for home theater.

thanks a bunch.
  • Jason Brown
    • Jan 2004

Hello and welcome.

I used to own the Denon 3803, and when I auditioned a similar amp to the 1080, the benefits were too great for me to give the amp back.

If you can, borrow a 1080 from your dealer for a home audition. I believe you'll find more detail retrieval, better stereo imaging, and be able to get more volume without distortion than with the 3805 alone.

You will be able to use the 3805 to power your center and surrounds for 5.1.

Comment

• audiofan
      • May 2004

Thanks Jason.

So, assume that i connect rotel 1080 to denon 3805 as power amp, how do i connect it? is it in Zone-2 , Zone-3 (denon offers this feature) or just connect FL/FR out of 3805 to rotel 1080 and leave zone-2,zone-3 alone ( I don't use zone2 and 3 for now).

Also, 3805 has a new feature Auto Setup/ Room EQ. Can I still use it?

thanks a lot.

Comment

• Jason Brown
        • Jan 2004

You're welcome.

I don't have any experience with the room EQ, so someone else will have to answer that.

Attach two interconnects to the preouts on the 3805 and the inputs on the 1080. This will effectively make the 3805 a preamp, as its L/R amp channels aren't being used. Then connect your speakers to the 1080, and you're good to go.

Comment

• shadow
          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by audiofan
          Thanks Jason.

So, assume that i connect rotel 1080 to denon 3805 as power amp, how do i connect it? is it in Zone-2 , Zone-3 (denon offers this feature) or just connect FL/FR out of 3805 to rotel 1080 and leave zone-2,zone-3 alone ( I don't use zone2 and 3 for now).

Also, 3805 has a new feature Auto Setup/ Room EQ. Can I still use it?

thanks a lot.
          No problem using EQ with the 1080. Should give you a nice upgrade in sound especially for stereo music.

Comment

• audiofan
            • May 2004

thanks all for your help. Do you know how much does rote 1080 cost? I don't see msrp listed in rotel.com

Comment

• Jason Brown
              • Jan 2004

I believe the 1080 retails for US$999.

Comment

• audiofan
                • May 2004

Thanks all for taking time to answer my questions. I'll check it out later at local Myer-Emco. I think this is the only authorized dealer in VA.

Comment

• Azeke
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2003

Actually, Myer-Emco is not the only dealer, the is another dealer in Centreville, look at Rotel's website. I can't recall their name. I haven't deal with them as I still deal with Myer-Emco for my Rotel equipment. They don't provide much if any discount on their Rotel gear (maybe 5%), but I enjoy their QOS.

The Rotel RB-1080 provided increased dynamics for my front channels. Myer-Emco has a 30 day return policy as well as a one year upgrade policy.

Good Luck,

Azeke

Comment

• audiofan
                    • May 2004

Thanks Azeke. It's good to know that there is another dealer beside Myer-Emco.

One question just comes in my mind. If use rotel 1080 with my denon 3805, how do i control the volume of FL/FR channel? I'm concerning on the equality in power from both pieces (Denon has 120wpc and Rotel has 200wpc).

Comment

• Azeke
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2003

You actually need to perform a speaker calibration, utilizing an SPL meter from Radio Shack and the test tones on the Denon, or a DVD calibration disk, i.e. Avia, etc., but I believe with the 3805 you have auto calibration, correct?

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• audiofan
                        • May 2004

Yes, I have denon mic which i use for auto setup. It's pretty accurate to me. So you mean when i run setup , Denon will compensate the power output to both Denon amp and Rotel amp to make them even?
                        thanks.

Comment

• Azeke
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2003

Theoretically, that is correct, just ensure that your amp is connected via the pre-amp connnection on your Denon.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"