should i get RB 1080 or RB 1075 to use with denon 3805?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audiofan
    • May 2004

should i get RB 1080 or RB 1075 to use with denon 3805?

Hi,
    I have denon 3805 and i have decided to get rotel power amp. One thing i'm confused is whether i should get 1075 or 1080. Since 3805 rated as 120wpc, does it matter if i go with RB 1080 (200 wpc). I don't know if i should worry about the wattage balance between two units. In another word, do you think 1075 (120wpc) would match perfectly with denon 3805 ? I use denon for music/hometheater (80/20).

thanks very much.
  • bmwuk
    • Mar 2004

First of all, I always hesitate to believe the 120W x 5,6,or 7 rating by receivers. I'm not sure if Denon's rating is based on driving one channel @ 120W, 2channels, etc. Therefore, a 5 channel @ 120W RMB-1075 should provide better sound over the Denon since it is truly rated at 120W pushing all 5 channels at once. Nice amp by the way (I own one).

Secondly, if you were a big music listener, I would encourage the 1080 to give your main speakers more detail, headroom, etc. However, since you are 80% movies, it may benefit you to go with the 1075.

Finally, the only matching issue you will have is in regards to the relative volume of your speakers. As long as you have them balanced out using test tones and an SPL meter, you should be good to go. At least that's my opinion....

Forgot to ask, what speakers do you currently have?

Comment

• audiofan
      • May 2004

thanks for responding.

I actually (as stated in my original note) am for more music than HT (80 % music). So i think, and as your suggestion, 1080 may be better. I can't make decision until i do audition it this weekend. Since 3805 has auto setup feature, i don't think output balance between speaker is an issue (i've been happy with it)

by the way, i have Axiom speakers: M60 (FL/FR), VP-100 (center), and M3(SL/SR).

thanks.

Comment

• bmwuk
        • Mar 2004

Oops, misread your music/movie ratio. Yeah, an audition will be your best bet. I think for your needs and setup, the 1080 will probably prove to be the best bet. The 1075 is a great amp but the 1080 will perform better for 2 channel playback.

As for auto setup, I'm not quite sure how the 3805 works exactly. I had a friend with an auto calibrater for his receiver but after using test tones and an SPL meter, the balance wasn't exact and the SPL meter gives you that exact balancing that all of us audio enthusiasts enjoy. If nothing else, it's just another toy to have :T .

Good luck and let us know what you think of the 1080 and 1075.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2003

Audifan,

I have both the RMB-1075 and the RB-1080 - and I started with these on a Denon 3802. I recon you'll end up with both eventually too...

Anyway - for music - take the RB-1080 any day - it is a league above the RMB-1075. However if you were saying 50/50 music and HT then it would have to be the RMB-1075 - for the astonishing change it makes to the dynamics or your HT experience. Movies come to life in ways you won't believe....

Then that will start you on the "slippery slope" and if you're like many of us - before you know it you'll be "borrowing" a RSP-1068 or 1098 to try out... (which won't go back to the store...)

Enjoy your listening this weekend and don't forget to post to let us know how you go.

Geoff

Comment

• audiofan
            • May 2004

after listening to both , i like 1080 better. However, i don't get any discount at all (they asked for full msrp). So, i decide to shop around more. I'm also looking at Outlaw amp. I heard a lot about this as well. Too bad, I can't audition it .

Comment

• bmwuk
              • Mar 2004

No discount?! I got my Rotel 1075 for $839 and imagine you could get the 1080 for the same or at least around that. If you do a search on Rotel's site for local dealers and you're willing to drive an hour, then perhaps the next Rotel dealer would be willing to work with you on it. Good luck!

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2003

Audiofan,

There are a number of higher quality amps out there that many people feel sound even better than the RB-1080 (Krell, Bryston etc). Most people don't put the Outlaw amps in that category - more in the sounds different / brighter etc. There are a number of threads in forums such as this one, AVSguide, www.hometheaterforum.com etc that have done comparisons. If you clearly prefered the RB-1080 to the RMB-1075 then I'd be careful about buying the Outlaw without listening...

Geoff

Comment

• Azeke
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2003

Audiofan,

If music is your predominant listening, then the RB-1080 it probably the move for you. Of course you can always listen to Bryston, Krell, etc., but the RB-1080 provides more bang for the buck. I have been dealing with my dealer for a few years and they only provided a 5% discount on the RB-1080, but I have the exchange option for a year. You need to weigh your options and to me QOS is important, and I don't mind paying a little extra for it. Your mileage may vary.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• audiofan
                    • May 2004

Thank you all for you expertise. I certainly will look out for more . However, i have another question in my mind:

I rarely pump up the volume since my listening room is small. However, I like to hear clean sound of music. When i did demo at Myer-Emco, i turn the volume to a comfortable level and it sounds great. Note that i listen to it at their demo room, not my room. So the question is whether 1080 will give me cleaner sound without crank up the volume on denon? I mean more power can give better sound or it's just a matter of louder sound without distortion?

Sorry to ask since i'm a newbie..
                    thanks.

Comment

• will1066
                      • Aug 2003

It's a matter of both. The more powerful amp has, among other things, a better damping factor, which is related to the amp's ability to control the speaker cones. The power supply of a 2-ch amp is less taxed than one in a 5-ch amp. This translates to better sound at any volume level.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"