X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Glenn
    • Jun 2003

Firmware Upgrade Failed Attempt - RSP-1068

Yesterday I purchased my brand new RSP-1068 I am currently surrounded by wires, cables, manuals etc hoping to soon have everything up and running. While the dealer stated that more than likely this unit would have the latest firmware already installed, upon powering up just now I see it came with an older version: V 1.1.3-040106

No big deal, I began to upgrade to V 1.1.7. The dip switches have been switched to ON, at the back of the RSP-1068. Hyperterminal connection works. Data transfer begins, with dots (periods) added across the computer screen. However, after multiple attempts, the same result occurs. The transfer stops.

The first two attempts, the front display of the RSP-1068 had everything lit up. The next several attempts had the display blank (as I believe should be). The literature mentions there should be 3 lines of periods and then a checksum number upon data completion. The first attempt, I got to 7 1/2 lines of periods. Then everything stopped. Subsequent attempts have gotten to between 3 and 5 lines. Then everything stops. The last attempt it got to 6 periods (not lines). The transfer simply will not complete. The computer does not crash, the transfer appears to simply stop, no more periods are added to the computer screen.

I was hoping to have had the stereo completely set-up by now, but I am at a standstill. Has anyone successfully upgraded the firmware to V1.1.7 on a RSP-1068? Does anyone have an idea what I might be doing incorrectly? I am using a Dell computer running Windows 98 SE.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated. Thank you.
  • Glenn
    • Jun 2003

More info ... I have upgraded the Hyperterminal program to the Personal Edition 6.3

Same results. Firmware transfer stops. It took approximately 5 minutes to get to 4 1/4 rows of dots, then they stop. The cursor just sits there flashing.

Any ideas are still welcome. Last attempt looked like this:

Download Setup

Cautious! Do not enter any key not requested
    >> Manufacture Code = 0x01
    >> Device code = 0x77
    >> Will you download new program?(select number)
    1. Yes 2. No 3. Direct program(No Erase operation)
    >> locking...
    >> Erasing memory... Wait a minute
    >> Erasing completed except for boot area.
    >> Select download binary file
    .................................................. ..............................
    .................................................. ..............................

Comment

• whmacs
      • Oct 2003

Hi Glen,
      Are you using a dedicated comms port or a USB -> comms port adapter? This can cause issues. To be safe you should use a dedicated port.
      I't might be worth double checking your comm port settings i.e. parity, speed etc...

If you maximise your hyper terminal screen it should take three lines to download. If it is not full screen, lines will wrap and you will see more lines of dots.

cheers,
      Stephen
      My Home Theatre

Comment

• Glenn
        • Jun 2003

Finally ... success.

In the hope that this helps anyone else, I offer the following. The final change that I made, that seemed to be the missing piece of the puzzle, was under Advanced Port Settings. I changed both the Receive Buffer and Transmit Buffer to LOW.

This allowed me to complete the firmware data transfer. It took about 5 minutes, and not quite 7 rows of dots showed when complete.

Perhaps this was a random success, perhaps these buffer changes were the needed changes. I'm not sure. Again, I offer this final bit of info for anyone else who might be stuck at this same point.

I am now FINALLY going to go and place my new, now firmware updated, RSP-1068 into my stereo rack!

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Glad it worked out :T Happy listening

Jason
          Jason

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Out of curiosity which brand of PC are you using and what's the OS?

Comment

• Glenn
              • Jun 2003

Dedicated Com1 port was used. Dell computer. Windows 98 SE.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Thanks.

Comment

• markmaple
                  • Apr 2004

How do you display the firmware version that your particular 1068 is running?

Comment

• Azeke
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2003

You should be able to hold the mute button for approximately 5 seconds and the firmware version will be shown via the display.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Don
                      • Feb 2003

I am about to do the software update for the rsx-1056. Since this is my first time doing it, I have a few questions.
                      Is it OK to use an XP-Pro OS, and how long will it take for the update?
                      If the update fails, will it (receiver) still work?

Thanks in advance.

Don

Comment

• GosonFletchy
                        • May 2004

Just a note, do not be hung up on the 3 lines of dots. I believe that the 1068 version 1.1.7 is a larger upgrade than prior 1066 upgrades, etc. I think I got 6 1/2 lines of dots when I did the 1.1.7, but I can not remember.

Yes, if the upgrade fails it does not destroy the unit. It saves the boot information so that you can keep starting over until you get it right .

G.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

XP Pro works just fine. I'd recomend installing the Hyperterminal program we listed above though as its faster then the one built into XP

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"