X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coconutout
    • Oct 2006

hum from diy amp

first of all i didn't build the amp but being a diy kit, i am willing to modify it with your help to fix the humming problem. im getting 60hz hum from both channels thats rather noticable on idle. however when i disconnect the rca cable from the preamp while leaving it still attached to the amp's input, the hum goes away. with both preamp and the dac's powercord unplugged at their chassis and rcas still connected the hum is present. with only dac connecting to the amp it still hums. with the cables swapped to different ones it still hums! so the amp by itself or with any rcas connected from its inputs there is no hum but otherwise it's reacting to my other components like they're bad case of allergies. what do you think could be the problem? im baffled
  • Johnloudb
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2007

It sounds like a ground loop, unless you're other components are actually generating the hum. So, you could try lifting the ground on you're amp first ... do this at you're own risk, as any live wire that may touch the chassis may not blow the fuse and if you touch you're amp in this case, you could well be electrocuted!!!!!
    John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• technodanvan
      • Nov 2009

Is everything plugged into the same outlet?

Edit:

I just reread your post and you mentioned having the power cords unplugged for everything else. Interesting...was anything else plugged into the preamp while it was unplugged from the wall?
      - Danny

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Coconutout
        first of all i didn't build the amp but being a diy kit, i am willing to modify it with your help to fix the humming problem. im getting 60hz hum from both channels thats rather noticable on idle. however when i disconnect the rca cable from the preamp while leaving it still attached to the amp's input, the hum goes away. with both preamp and the dac's powercord unplugged at their chassis and rcas still connected the hum is present. with only dac connecting to the amp it still hums. with the cables swapped to different ones it still hums! so the amp by itself or with any rcas connected from its inputs there is no hum but otherwise it's reacting to my other components like they're bad case of allergies. what do you think could be the problem? im baffled
        This could be several different problems, but the most likely one is a problem with the star grounding wiring for the amplifier; i.e., how ground is connected internally, and the input ground for the RCA's is being returned to a ground point for which there is rectifier ripple current voltage drop between it and the actual small signal input/feedback reference ground; by connecting the input, the ground noise potential at the input connector is coupled into the input circuitry by the source impedance of the input.

I've seen this sort of thing frequently with DIY amps, first time I debugged one with this problem was in the mid 70's.
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• kingpin
          • Jun 2006

Originally posted by JonMarsh
          This could be several different problems, but the most likely one is a problem with the star grounding wiring for the amplifier; i.e., how ground is connected internally, and the input ground for the RCA's is being returned to a ground point for which there is rectifier ripple current voltage drop between it and the actual small signal input/feedback reference ground; by connecting the input, the ground noise potential at the input connector is coupled into the input circuitry by the source impedance of the input.

8O I think I have just added english as a second language. LOL

Mike
          Call me "MIKE"
          "PROJECT OVERKILL" :B:B -WWMTMSS- :B:B
          "PROJECT OVERKILL" is now the :B:B "mini-me's" :B:B
          CLICK HERE TO SEE PROJECT OVERKILL
          CLICK HERE TO SEE ALL MY BUILD PICS
          "PROJECT OVERKILL" IS GOING UNDER THE KNIFE. :B :B "mini-me's :B :B !!
          Dual sealed 18" Mach-5 ixl 18.4 subs

Comment

• Not2Evil
            • Dec 2008

Most audio components have an external ground on the back of the chassis. If not, loosen a chasis screw and scratch away some paint. I'd try connecting the biggest wire you have from unit to unit and then pick a good ground on your amp. Heavy ground braid would be better, but harder to come by.

If that doesn't work, you could try making a custom RCA cable using twisted pairs.

You know sooner or later.....It's got to happen.

It hums cause it doesn't know the words. :P

Comment

• Johnloudb
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2007

It hums cause it doesn't know the words. :P
              Words of wisdom my friend! ;x(
              John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• Brian Kingsbury
                • Sep 2009

My diy amp had some hum issues when I built it using a single star-wired grounding scheme. I had all the grounds (power supply, signal input, negative speaker) all star wired together to a single point and from that point to the chassis. The power supply was causing a 60hz hum to be transfered into the signal input. To fix it, I made one star wired ground point where the power supply ground came together and attached from there to the chassis. I then made another star-wired point where the signal/negative speaker grounds came together and attached that to the chassis at same place where the power supply ground connected. Problem solved. YMMV.
                ;x( We're not worthy! ;x(

Comment

• Coconutout
                  • Oct 2006

thanks for help guys and sorry i was mistaken in my experiment- the amp does not hum with just the dac connected. the problem was in the dying pairs of 12ax7 in my preamp. and i'm guessing the reason how it could make the amp hum without the powercord attached to the preamp is because of residual power in the transformer. two years of continuous use of the sovtek 12ax7s had finally made them microphonic. i think the new pair of 12ax7 i'm buying is the first 'necessary' purchase i'm making in this hobby. of course they don't necessarily have to be mullard nos xD. once again, thank you for your help, gentlemen.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"